PDA

View Full Version : Accessories: Pattern 70 Web Gear: Fingered It OUT!!!

gman
November 12, 2002, 16:37
Ok I bought one of these set-ups from an outfit in Charlotte NC and it came disassembled. These things have more straps than Democrat Lawyers have excuses!!
I have posted a pic by gman552 to show this, I don't have the canvas part hanging down but I have belt, backpack, suspenders (I think) and something else, like a small carry bag.
Does anyone have a couple of pics from in front and the side so I can assemble this?
Thanks.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=366159

'TUDE
November 12, 2002, 16:47
I'd sure be interested myself as well. By the way, the canvas flap that hangs down is used for? Is it for a sleeping bag/bedroll? Also, where did you find the holster?

gman
November 13, 2002, 01:02
Faltitude,

That is the "ground cloth carrier".

This is the most confusing set-up. I am wondering if something is missing. There is no obvious, "this goes here" logic to the strap arrangement.

'TUDE
November 13, 2002, 01:20
I hear ya. No wonder these rigs are going cheap. Nobody knows how to put one on/together.

FAL Hawaii
November 13, 2002, 02:16
Ah ha! Now you know why guys hang around book stores and library's. They're just looking for a free way to find out information or looking for pictures to figure out how to put a piece of gear together. I tried looking for a historical website but man was that fruitless. It's pretty hard to find a guy in his web gear after the beach heads. Try to let us know what model that stuff is and from what year. It looks like vietnam issue. These guys had full gear on.
http://www.dday.freeservers.com/dday8.jpg

EMDII
November 13, 2002, 14:27
According to the tanks in the pic, that is either WWII or Korea. I'm :confused:

gman552
November 13, 2002, 18:17
gman,

Sorry it took me a while to respond to your PM - I'll post a photo tonight of the other side of the webgear when I get home.

Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how the wretched large pack is attached to the harness.

Gabe (gman552)

gman
November 13, 2002, 20:34
This is how it works based on what a former SADF Trooper wrote on another forum, his response below.

The backpack is a standalone unit and this is how to attach it to you body.

This is viewed as you are looking at the straps and trying to figure out what is what.

1. On the left is the strap permanently attached and on the right is one that has a small rectangle and large rectangle and appears to have a long pulltab.

2. Below the right shoulder strap you see a strap attached to the side of the body of the pack with a snap on it. Close the snap. Now bring this strap up and insert the small rectangle through the large rectangle. There is an obvious pulltab attached to the snap, insert the long part through the small rectangle, you can see how it prevents the rectangle from pulling out of the larger one.

3. Adjust the large shoulder straps to comfortably fit you.

4. Notice the small strap with a large rectangle (apparently for no use at all) that points to the left shoulder strap D ring. This is another small/large rectangle arrangement. Insert the small rectangle into the large one and now insert the long pulltab on the right strap (upside-down, you have to fold it over itself) through the small rectangle. This is the cross-chest support.

To remove this pack just PULL and it falls apart!

The following is the reply I got from a former SADF Trooper:

"In a phrase "it doesn't"

The webbing you describe was the bain of our lives, but lately I've found good use for the stuff.

You have 3 components:

The kidney packs, and asssociated pouches for 7.62 FN-FAL magazines, with a suspension straps (yoke). We were required to
carry 20 mags of firstline 7.62 ball, 2 belts of 7.62 FN-MAG ammo, plus 3 60mm mortar rounds. What we did carry was somewhat
less.

The back pack, which is independent of the webbing - it is designed to be torn off quickly by tugging a small retention tab on the
one shoulder strap.

The patrol bag which is a smaller pouch with a top flap.

The patrol bag can be fitted to the webbing yoke ON YOUR CHEST IN FRONT, by removing the long strap and attaching it by the
green clips to the front rings of the webbing.

The straps on the kidney belt and backpack are used to hold various entrenching tools, rolled pup tents, groundsheets, 60mm
mortar ammo canisters, LPG rounds etc.

I use this stuff for springbok hunting - I pack in all my days goodies - ammo, food and water plus stove, camera in the kidney
pack and I am set for a day in the veld. I cut off all the straps and ditched the yoke. The ammo pouches are handy to keep small
important things separate - first aid stuff in one, matches and toilet paper in another etc etc you get the idea.

It is green and it was free!! I am sure Magnus Malan will get a kick out of the fact you are using his stuff. (Malan was Minister of
Defence when I was a troep)

Cheers"

gman552
November 13, 2002, 22:48
Originally posted by gman
...The following is the reply I got from a former SADF Trooper:

"In a phrase "it doesn't"

The webbing you describe was the bain of our lives, but lately I've found good use for the stuff...

Well, no wonder the damn thing doesn't attach to the webbing! In addition, I have a size 42 chest (a fairly normal size, I'm not a body-building type by any means :rofl: ) but the adjustments for the back pack are maxed out. I can see the SADF guys ditching the friggin' things at the first chance - the yoke and belt with the built-in kidney pouches are pretty good, though.

However, I can understand why they went to the Pattern 83 vest - more durable Cordura nylon, better pocket arrangement, no need for idiotic backpacks constricting the chest.

gman, glad you got it figured out, and thanks for the info on the pack.

Gabe

FrostBite
November 13, 2002, 23:53
SADF? The SA stand for South African? Because it looks like a South African rig. I think Tapco sold a few of these. It can't be NAM issue! We had ALICE gear in NAM. It has changed very little. Current Army issue L.B.E.s are almost the same. But I think they stopped giving the grunts buttpacks....most soldiers buy their own.

gman552
November 14, 2002, 00:01
FrostBite,

Yeah, this is South African Pattern 70 kit, the stuff TAPCO was selling a while back was the similar British Pattern 58 web gear, which had detachable "kidney" buttpacks (the SA kidney pouches are sewn onto the belt.)

Both are dyed green cotton, but the British stuff is a darker green.

Gabe

Peter Wells
November 14, 2002, 05:09
Glad you guys got it figgered out on your own.

If there is still any confusion pls let me know and Iwill surely help. I used Patt70 webbing for >13 years so am reasonably au-fait.

BTW. The Patt70 is about 1000% better than the Patt64 it replaced and was/is, in some ways and for some tac situations, better than our current Patt83 Battle Jacket which replaced it.

Red4
November 14, 2002, 09:38
OK Peter! Where in the world - obviously not here in Tennessee - can I find a Pattern 70 water bottle and cover??? I've seen one advertized but with zero quantities available. I have all this Pattern 70 stuff except the canteen. Any ideas? Thanks.

gman
November 14, 2002, 10:43
Gabe,

I had the yoke and belt on, filled with as much of my dirty clothes as possible and then put on the backpack. It does ride quite high on the back. I think this is a design feature since once you have it on you can see there is clearance over the kidney packs. I too have a thick chest, I am 5' 7" and weigh 200 pounds. It fits me well.

One thing I find strange is the placement of the d-rings on the belt right in the middle of the kidney pouches. Unless you had lead blocks in the bottom of the kidney pouches, the belt will rotate out and try to turn over. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I was/am thinking of having some professional gear-makers here in Fairbanks move that attachement point higher or at least have them look at it to get their take on the placement. Maybe Peter will read this and tell us what I am doing wrong.

mrf2
November 14, 2002, 22:58
If anyone wants to see some of the pattern 61/64 that Mr. Wells is talking about I've got some pics on my web site, along with a lot of other SADF/SANDF kit :) A warning- I'm new to this web stuff and not very good at it, so some of the pictures are upside down sideways, etc...

[link/] http://home.attbi.com/~mrf210/index.html [link]

mrf2

'TUDE
November 14, 2002, 23:10
Dern, what a nice collection!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Peter Wells
November 15, 2002, 02:07
Red4 - Let me see if I can find a water bottle set for you. It consists of carrier, bottle and 'fire-bucket' (stainless cup with handle - exactly like the US one). The carrier has belt loops and stud but it's 'correct' loc is hanging by it's fasterner between the kidney pouches where you will find a 'D' ring and securing strap. We generally carried a minimum of three bottles on patrol - extras on the belt (behind mag pouches) for use and the rear one always in reserve - it's a bitch to get to without taking off your webbing anyay.

gman - You are correct about the loaded kidney pouches dragging and sitting heavy on your butt - very tiring. The trick is to take the long straps on the pouches, feed them up and thru the 'D' rings on the yoke and then down to the multiple buckle on the flap/lid of the kidney pouch. When properly adjusted this takes the weight of the loaded pouch off your butt (but doesn't interfere with access etc.).

Of course no patt70 set is complete without an apple-corer bayonet in it's built-in frog - seen that bit?

BTW - the 'Patrol Bag' referred to earlier was/is a usefull piece of kit. Each guy in the section was required to carry extra belted MAG ammo and this sling bag was ideal for this purpose. If the #2 needed ammo the bags could be collected/thrown or whatever without getting full of sand etc. etc. Nowadays they are VERY poular for fishing tackle.

Hope that helps guys.

Red4
November 15, 2002, 10:00
Cool! Thanks peter! I'll send lots of cash and throw in my wife’s Pomeranian to boot! I've looked for the canteen outfit for a year and a half with no luck...never even seen a picture of one. If you come across one let me know kind sir!

gman
November 15, 2002, 11:07
Peter,

Thank you for that information Sir. I will do that and get it worked out. Now to get that bayonet frog...

mparrish
November 16, 2002, 01:46
Red and Peter:

You ought to think of a group buy for those of us crazy enough to collect Pat 70 gear. I've been looking for those pieces of kit as well.

Peter Wells
January 24, 2003, 01:37
Red, I e-mailed you that I have a water bottle set and correct bayonet (and Patrol Bag if you need) to complete your Patt70 gear but no response.

Send me a PM or e-mail if still interested.

Red4
January 24, 2003, 10:17
Thanks. On the way.

Thrash1982
January 05, 2004, 10:28
where did you find this webbing?

saltshaker
February 26, 2011, 04:22
?

Afrikaner82
May 11, 2011, 21:06
Hey Peter, do you know where I can get the harness, I have the belt with kidney pouches and the patrol bag. Where can I get the pack, the harness, ammo pouches and pistol pouch? I would like to get my setup as complete as possible.

AndyC
May 12, 2011, 10:14
Here in the US, the SWAT Shop (http://members.fortunecity.com/swatshop/page15.htm) always has a lot of gear available; I've purchased from them a few times.

SAffer
July 01, 2011, 10:14
How to set it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg3FNsSMZIU

How it was used...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PxkJzcTHUU

(posted in gear and accesories)
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=312931

What it can carry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWpGXfuAJkw