PDA

View Full Version : Ident: Bipod- Belgian or not?

Valley Firearms
November 11, 2002, 10:30
Hello,

I have privately e-mailed several people regarding this issue. I have even posted a similar inquiry a year or two ago. I need a few more responses to satisfy a fellow FAL collector who purchased a bi-pod from me. I sold the bi-pod as Belgian and he has his doubts. It's not so much a money issue, but an education. It is a painted(matches a early 70's import fal) unit with "no" numbers stamped anywhere. It is quick detachable and very nicely made. A tiny paint chip shows that it is parkerized under the paint. The person who purchased the bi-pod said that it is not Belgian becasue it doesn't have the numbers stamped. Any and all information would help this person.

usmc326
November 11, 2002, 10:48
I bought one of those from Dan's Sporting Goods. DSA has them now too. I suspect that they're Belgian
as of the quality, and I cannot imagine Imbel spending the money on the concept. Most Imbel barrels are not even cut for a bipod.

Dan can probably tell you, he's listed on the Sponsors, and has one of the vendor forums.

L/FN
November 11, 2002, 13:55
The QD bipods that DAN's & DSA have are Argentine mfg I beleive.
They have footpads that are sheet metal welded to the leg.

I have a Belgian QD bipod I got with my Belg 50.00 when I bought this all new in 1988. The footpads on this unit are intregally cast with the legs. The tops of the footpads are smooth.
The only numbers I see are in the depressed area right below the bipods leg attaching screws. There is a 1 on the LH leg and a 3 on the RH leg. Characters are about 1/16" tall.
The tops of the legs are cast as well and have a weight saving depression area.

Now, I believe that there were QD bipods that came in with the Springfield Armory SAR 48/ Imbel rifles. I think these are identifiable by a raised oval area cast into the bipod legs intregally cast footpads.

Dave at Inland Armory ( do a search) may be able to help you more on this. Feel free to include my info in your discussion.

Larry aka L/FN

Steelcore_7.62
November 11, 2002, 14:44
I just got a pristine NIW QD bipod at a gun show here in Belgium. It has welded on feet same as a G-1 or STG bipod. This one is in the mummy wrap and serial numbered 199 on the inside top of each leg and also on the bottom of the QD mount. I have seen a handfull of these bipods here and they all have welded-on feet, never seen a cast-on one yet. Those cast-on feet could be a late manufacture trait that saved FN time and $.

nvcdl
November 11, 2002, 21:36
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steelcore_7.62
I just got a pristine NIW QD bipod at a gun show here in Belgium...[/QUOTE

I didn't know they had gun shows in Europe.

Steelcore_7.62
November 12, 2002, 01:55
Technically they do, they just call them militaria shows! All of the weapons are deactivated except for the black powder arms, which also includes black powder cartridge guns, go figure. But the parts are not de-activated. I got that bipod for 30 Euros ($30) and a slightly used STANAG mount for 35 Euros. Those are my luckiest finds so far.

Mr pogo
November 12, 2002, 06:03
The QD bipods Dans had were advertised as Imbel. I have several identical ones both from Dans and another vendor who also said they were Imbel. They are all paint over park and have matching 2 or 3 digit serials on both inner plates and the swivel block.

DSAs until recently were advertised as Belgium, they have the correct 1 piece block but not the cast feet. Dave has said before that DSA told him that they were copies, block made by DSA and with Stg feet. FWIW no identifying marks on mine at all.

DSA on left, Imbel on right.

mark
November 12, 2002, 06:27
Nice Pic............really adds to the conversation.

Mr pogo
November 13, 2002, 03:33
Larry, checkest thy email.

Originally posted by usmc326
.... I cannot imagine Imbel spending the money on the concept. Most Imbel barrels are not even cut for a bipod....

Most the Chilean contract Imbels maybe. Every SAR48/4800 standard barrel Ive seen was bipod cut, including the 5.56mm ones.

Mr pogo
November 13, 2002, 07:15
Ok, better pics of Larrys Belgium QD.

Mr pogo
November 13, 2002, 07:16
Pic 2.

Valley Firearms
November 13, 2002, 09:32
Very nice. I love to see a thread grow like this. Very educational to all. Thanks for all the imput guys, keep it coming.

Mike.

Originally posted by Mr pogo
Pic 2.

Mr pogo
December 31, 2002, 02:20
Following are pics of Steelcore_7.62s Belgium QD bipod.
Im going to have to retreat on the source for the 3 QD bipods I thought were Imbel. Steelcore_7.62s bipod is identical to mine down to legs, block and number markings.
I do have a sneaking suspician these werent for Belgium Fals but for another specific Euro country, the mummy wrap is a hint.

Mr pogo
December 31, 2002, 02:26
x

Mr pogo
December 31, 2002, 02:32
You can see the serial 199 on the swivel block, mine are numbered same way, same location.

Mr pogo
December 31, 2002, 02:34
x

LtRiker
January 06, 2003, 18:14
Originally posted by Mr pogo
x

Isn't that foot made specifically to wrap into the STG handguards?

Mr pogo
January 07, 2003, 15:10
Originally posted by LtRiker

Isn't that foot made specifically to wrap into the STG handguards?

Yes, will fit G1/Stg steel or bipod cut plastic handguards. The G1 handguards were predecessor to the Stg. Also FN offered the steel handguards as an option on their civilian Fals.

Dan at VOW
January 07, 2003, 15:24
It seems that there are as many variations of the quick detach as there are the standard bi pods. The QD bi pod on my 50:61 was the type with the cast feet and upper attachments, I have another that is similar to the Imbel (or what we were told was an Imbel) QD and a DSA, which seems to be put together from parts.

I have found 4 types of the "standard" bi pods, mainly different in the spring plunger type or length of plunger.

davidp14
February 23, 2004, 09:31
sorry to drag this back up but im in the exact same situation myself.....

so, an origianl QD bipod sould have either stamped OR cast feet?

i wonder if i could email FN......

Steelcore_7.62
February 23, 2004, 11:34
Davidp14,

I eventually found both cast and welded foot types while I was in Belgium. I was able to get both types NIW, so I am positive they were FN manufactured. I have seen a good many of the welded foot type, and all had serial numbers on the locking block and on the top folding end of each leg. My one cast bipod has no serial numbers, but does have a "4" in the screw indent of the left leg and a "3" in the right-hand one--same type as L/FN's. One improvment built into the cast bipods is that the anti-rotation keeper is integral to the locking block. The welded type uses a small oval of metal that can fall out if not staked well.

FWIW, the cast one is nowhere near the quality of the welded type. The fit and finish is not as nice. The paint is thin and it appears that there is little or no park under the paint.

Cheers,
Darrell

davidp14
February 23, 2004, 12:21
thanks.

i have one of the welded types. and it does have the numbers stamped in it as you said. did any other manufacturers stamp theirs with these numbers? i have seen a non-qd type imbel and it did not have any numbers in it anywhere.

splattermatic
February 25, 2004, 06:42
mine is a welded on type ,with the number 232 in the middle and on both sides ..

mojo_matic
March 11, 2004, 18:53
My Q.D. bi-pods have welded feet, and no numbers. Dark parkerized finish. Received them from FALfiles member. Nice plus for my STG58...hate taking the standard bi-pods off!

realbattlerifle
July 24, 2004, 00:04
Learning a lot so thanks for everyones input. I am trying to decide on a DSA quick detach bipod, or a standard surplus bipod being refinished. No tools for removal would be nice but not at the cost of dependability/ruggedness. I have never been big on bipods except for support weapons so this is a little new to me, but I want to at least have the option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated- one last note, the pod will not be used often, but I want to rely on it when it is and manufacturer markings etc are not too important to me. Thanks all. RBR

realbattlerifle
July 24, 2004, 22:27
Limeyinaz: thanks, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I have followed your posts before, learned a lot, and plan on doing so in the future. RBR

EX1
January 05, 2005, 17:51
So far like Steelcore I have seen both stamped feet and cast feet NIW these were all sent to me via Belgium both were in cheese cloth.I would imagine that the stamped were first made then the cast feet later.FN did go to some cast parts later on even T3 receivers were cast.Maybe a money saving venture for FN Thanks David

Lee Carpentieri
June 15, 2006, 04:47
EX-1 hit the nail on the head with the cost factors. I,ve had both the stamped feet and the Cast feet versions.The ribbed center sections of the clamp on block from DSA came from South Africa Via FN Belgium,That is what the owner of DSA told me. Most if not all Arms manufactures require in their manufacturing contracts that the host country buy 15 percent of the small products/Parts from said Licensor Namely FN Herstahl.That has been a International standard for at least the last 50 years.Once licensing runs out a country is allowed to do what they want and manufature whatever parts they need for the former licensed weapons product. For the most part the DSA QD bipods are FN center blocks with early Legs on them. Now if DSA is making their own center Blocks then they would be the ones to ask. Most of the center blocks that had numbers on them were from other countries that surplused them to God knows who.

ruudje-c
June 15, 2006, 14:33
What I know about bipods . I know that there are at least 4 bipod attachment blocks .
One type were you have to remove the legs in order to attach the bipod .
One pressed steel one with slot in order to attach the bipod .
One pressed steel with a small hole on top .
One cast one with slot .
I know of 3 different kinds of legs .
One machined
One cast , short
one cast , long

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/ruudje-c/IMG_0129.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/ruudje-c/IMG_0122.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/ruudje-c/IMG_0115.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/ruudje-c/IMG_0135.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/ruudje-c/IMG_0136.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/ruudje-c/IMG_0137.jpg

I can't prove that these are FN made , all I know is that they in my box for many years , way before the US discovered the FAL and long before we heard of Imbel here in Europe .

Mr pogo
June 17, 2006, 14:56
I'll clarify something I mentioned earlier (3+ yrs ago :D ) in this thread.

The cheesecloth/mummy wrap is characteristic of FN replacement contract parts for Germany. All the ones Ive seen or own that still have the original FN label are dated from the 60s and in German.
Maybe someone in Europe with better access may know more but I would say its safe to say that if it has cheese cloth its FN and German contract.

Headshot
June 17, 2006, 17:34
Well, since it is sitting here in from of me...

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/4070/dsc003557ns.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Headshot
June 17, 2006, 17:36
The feet on this example are welded.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3083/dsc003561zn.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

EX1
June 17, 2006, 18:16
Hello on the cheese cloth subject I have had numerous fal parts and hi power parts and mags that were in cheese cloth. The Hi power mags were British L 9 contract. The quick detach bipods were from Holland they were in cheese cloth. The Germans never used the QD bipod to my knowledge. These QD bipods also came with the Dutch buttplates and hinge pins.Based only on what I have seen possibly FN used the cheese cloth on spares for different contracts of weapons and countries. Thanks EX1

Mr pogo
June 17, 2006, 20:49
Originally posted by EX1
Hello on the cheese cloth subject I have had numerous fal parts and hi power parts and mags that were in cheese cloth. The Hi power mags were British L 9 contract. The quick detach bipods were from Holland they were in cheese cloth. The Germans never used the QD bipod to my knowledge. These QD bipods also came with the Dutch buttplates and hinge pins.Based only on what I have seen possibly FN used the cheese cloth on spares for different contracts of weapons and countries. Thanks EX1

I never thought it improbable that FN used cheesecloth for other nonFal contracts, just that with FN parts Germany seemed to the only Euro country that specced cheeseclothe for their parts from FN.

Did other nonEuro countries use cheesecloth? Maybe but unlikely they were returned to Europe for resale.
But Germany used the Fal up into the 80s and did try other parts and accessories originally designed for other country's contracts like the dutch buttstock. From talking to Roland they tried out just about everything FN offered on other contracts and stuff they came out with themselves.
I would bet its likely the BGS tried out or issued the QD bipod.

Now if there are FN spare parts in cheesecloth with the original labels that are nonGerman they are rare as I can't remember seeing anything like that. But I dont have the advantage parts vendors do that come across more than I ever could.
So thats why I suspect German contract when I see Fal parts in cheesecloth.