PDA

View Full Version : Please be gentle!!!!!!!!!!!!

Klutch
January 13, 2001, 00:17
I am new to FAL's period. I see the group buy for the Chilean kits. If I bought one of these would I just need to get a metric receiver and assemble it? I see alot of the STG58 kits for sale too. Are these also metric pattern? I get the impression that metric is the way to go because of mag availability. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Arby
January 13, 2001, 00:28
You would need the metric receiver and 6 to 7 U.S. parts to be legal, depending if you wanted a muzzle brake. The most common U.S. parts are:
Trigger
Hammer
Sear
Pistol grip
Gas Piston
Slide (operating handle)
Muzzle Brake is optional, but if you don't have one, you have to eliminate the threads at the end of the barrel.
Other acceptable U.S. replacement parts are:
Buttstock
For end
Receiver
Barrel
Lower receiver(If I recall
correctly)

Metric parts and magazines are easier to come by and cheaper than inch (Commonwealth) parts.

Klutch
January 13, 2001, 00:33
Do you think it would be wiser to buy a complete rifle and start from there? www.gunsnammo.com (http://www.gunsnammo.com) has STG58 carbines built on Imbel receivers for $519 they look pretty nice but do you think they are built from shot out kits? Do they already include the necessary US parts in them? What is the legality on using surplus mags in them? Thanks again.

tulsamal
January 13, 2001, 00:44
Klutch,

It's late but I'll try to answer that. I don't know about those particular assembled rifles. There are some decent ones out there and that is an easier thing to do. There have been some complaints on this board about companies selling rifles with some US parts BUT their count included two US parts in the magazines. With those magazines it was legal. With joe blow generic metric mags you bought on ebay, illegal. Most people seem to prefer to replace enough parts in the rifle itself so that they can use regular imported metric mags. You can read up on the legalities of all this on the front page: http://www.fnfal.com/falfiles/

Look over on the left side and click on the link labeled: US Parts Kits.

Gregg

If you want to buy a complete rifle, a lot of the guys seem to like these: http://www.fnfal.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/005475.html

Disclaimer: I haven't seen or handled one yet!

CT
January 13, 2001, 00:50
Klutch, it is not necessarily that the rifles are built from 'shot out kits', but rather who assembles the kits, the quality of the workmanship, and the quality of the US parts that are used. You may find 'deals' on many kit assembled FAL's, but it has been my experience reading posts at this board that buying assembled FAL's from Century, etc., is a crap shoot. It even appears that the majority of these rifles must either be worked over by the new owner or sent to an FAL 'smith to achieve positive functioning and cure the dreaded FrankenFAL's disease. This is time consuming to the owner with the knowledge and tools, or an additional $200+ to the owner who has no experience or proper tools.

I, as many others here, have chosen to buy kits and receivers to assemble or ship to one of the board recognized 'smiths to assemble and refinish. All of my experiences with FAL's have been positive and happy using this approach.

Best of luck with your choice.

Clay

gates
January 13, 2001, 00:54
Hey Klutch welcome!

my .02

if:

price will decide your purchase-buy the $519 gun but be prepared to dump a few more bucks into it. if its on an Imbel it can be fixed.

personal satisfaction is the determining factor- go the kit route - aquire the tools and knowledge (the latter is in abundance here) and build your own rifle. about $750 give or take.

having a reliable, professionally built and tested work of art that just happens to be a battle rifle is your goal you can aquire the kit, rec., and U.S. parts and send it off to one of our 4 smiths and have it done or buy a
ready made rifle from same. $1000-$1100 give or take.

having a factory gun turns your wheel you can buy a DSA. $1600 and up new.

personally i have gone option 3 on my three kit guns and they KICK ASS on the DSA carb that sits next to them.

aj

W.E.G.
January 13, 2001, 01:35
Originally posted by Klutch:
Do you think it would be wiser to buy a complete rifle...has STG58 carbines built on Imbel receivers for $519 they look pretty nice...

It has to be a Century gun for that price. I would not recommend it. Gas piston is no good. Comb of stock is out of spec. Headspace is anybody's guess. Century's are the worst.

Better to buy a kit and assemble it yourself. If you are squeamish about barrelling and headspacing, you can send that much of it out. The rest you can do with the tools you used to put together your kid's swing set.

Swampy
January 13, 2001, 08:57
Klutch,

I'm no expert on STG-58's (yet), but I've had direct experience with 4 of the Century STG's. They all had Imbel receivers & all shot & functioned fine with just the parts that came with them.

All 4 had what appeared to be brand spanking new Steyr barrels. I've been told that these are used bbls. that have had the first couple inches cut off to remove the illegal threads (thereby also removing any signs of previous muzzle wear). New or not, & whatever has been done to them, these are probably the brightest & smoothest bores I've seen short of a well broken in bench rest rifle. Beautiful.

Accuracy with these was just fine as well. 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yds. with surplus .308 and 45 year old eyes.

I hear that some guys have had some problems with them (and take them at their word), but I've personally never seen any trouble with the CAI STG-58 rifles. Even if you do experience problems, good, inexpensive parts are available & usually easy to install. Expert advice on "HOW TO" is as close as your computer monitor as well. Guys on this forum are always ready to help.

In my most humble opinion, the CAI guns are well worth the $500+ price, expecially if you don't want to go to the trouble of building up from kits. All I can say is that I'm more than pleased with the one I own and would not part with it.

Best regards,
Swampy

Master Blaster
January 13, 2001, 09:17
Klutch,
Welcome, I would first suggest that you try to decide how much you want to drop into the project. In my case I wanted as near to new a rifle as I could buy so it cost me a bit more. Another option would be to purchase an already assembled rifle from one of the smiths . George Gouger does excellent work (He did my twins)and sells complete for around $1200.00. These things are terribly habit forming so, be careful! Which ever way you decide to go, Enjoy and have fun with it.
Regards,
Jim

[This message has been edited by MSTRBLSTR55 (edited January 13, 2001).]

derek huffman, azexarms
January 14, 2001, 12:39
First, I'm wondering if you are a fan of the band Clutch.

Second, go to my site and check out what is involved in FALs and FAL building.
www.azexarms.com (http://www.azexarms.com)

Email me with any questions you have.

Your humble servant. D.

Klutch
January 14, 2001, 12:47
Yes in fact I am a fan of the band Clutch. That is where my handle came from. Good eye. Thanks for the link, I'll do some reading.