PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Lie

CC
December 23, 2000, 21:31
Me and a friend like to hit the local gun shows. We've heard some real woppers from some of the dealers. Like"That pistol your holding there sonny killed a man". One of my favorites is "That rifle has never been shot". I asked one guy if he had a rag so I could wipe off all the gunpowder I had on my hands from his unfired rifle? There are a couple of dealers we always try to find, because they supply the laughs for the rest of the day. I'm just wondering, what are some of the best lies you guys have heard from dealers?...CC

DK
December 23, 2000, 21:35
"Oh, yeah, DEFINATELY pre-ban. It's a transitional model..."

DK

------------------
Historically Freedom is bought with steel, not gold...

ProGun1
December 23, 2000, 21:39
"Rare and getting harder to find!" Yea, right!

tool
December 23, 2000, 21:55
"Sure it has a flash hider on it. It has an Entreprise receiver on it, too. I can do anything to the rifle because is American made"

Actual quote from a vendor at a gunshow who had a post ban for sale with ALL the cool features.

Noname
December 23, 2000, 23:04
Oh, that's a real Tanker there Sonny, that one kilt Japanese...

[This message has been edited by Noname (edited December 23, 2000).]

BBBBill
December 23, 2000, 23:13
Heard 'em all. And that's one of the reasons we have so much trouble winning against the antis. We (the gun community in general) spend all our time trying to stick it to each other. No wonder we can't organize. Always worrying about the next guy "doing" us.

mp
December 24, 2000, 00:15
My favorite exchange...

Me: (noticing a built up Imbel STG-58 with original Stoll) "Nice looking FAL...Is that an STG-58?"
Dealer: "Yep...its on special for only $900."
Me: "How did you get away with the flash hider? I thought they were illegal under the 94 ban?"
Dealer: (uncomfortable look) stammers... "Yeah, uh.....that gun is for sale to, uh, Law Enforcement Only......Are you a cop?

Me just smiled, shook my head, and moved on........

fresca
December 24, 2000, 01:45
Guy has "pre-ban" L1A1, all original Brit stuff on it. I bought it, and a huge bag of extra parts he "threw in" (I was very new then). Excited about my deal, I get home and open the bag of parts. Oh, there's the thumbhole! I converted it back. He had the flash hider sorta glued on, he got me. Beware BBC weapons if your in Ohio.

fresca
December 24, 2000, 02:02
I don't want to go off on a rant, BUT, BBBBill has it absolutely correct. Some of the folks in this industry/sport can't seem to understand that building distrust serves only those that want to hurt us. Divide and Conquer via deliberate indifference. I DO NOT agree with everything that the NRA say's and does, but I am a member. They are the only organization with the juice to help. We all need to be on the same team. Make a profit on your guns, yeah capitalism, BUT we should'nt be screwing one another to do it. I will say that everybody I've dealt with on this board is a "brother in arms" so to speak. End of rant.
Anyone interested in Winston Churchill's personal Nambu revolver, really, he shot Hitler with it. I'll let it go cheap, only to you!

CC
December 24, 2000, 03:06
fresca: How much you want for that nambu...CC

Arby
December 24, 2000, 10:44
Fresca's point is one well taken. Nothing is more hypocritical in the gun world than a guy that spouts patriotic rhetoric about the constitution, ad nauseum, as he is trying to sell you an illegally configured post-ban. Every time I see an illegal FAL for sale at a show, it galls me. Sometimes I will talk to the seller, sometimes not. I realize that some of these guys do not fully realize that what they have is not kosher, but many do. I think it is worse than criminal to knowingly sell an unsuspecting buyer an illegal firearm. Hell, all of us lovers of politically incorrect battle rifles should be members of one big fraternity that watches out for our collective interests. Instead, some are willing to screw others for a few dollars, while the rest of us have to be wary of anything offered for sale by a stranger. Love of the sport should rule, rather than venality.

As an aside, I am finally willing to part with the Webley that T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia) carried in his attack on Akaba. It is the one he accidentally shot his camel in the back of the head with. It comes with holster and all accessories. It is for sale. Has the original tritium night sights, early model aimpoint, etc. Let me know if anyone is interested......I need the money for an operation (lobotomy).

[This message has been edited by Arby (edited December 24, 2000).]

Noname
December 24, 2000, 11:23
While looking at a POS-RAT FedOrd M14-S " Yeah, That's one of the Good Ones, my buddy carried that in NAM. Took it apart and brought it back in his duffle bag" (thank God for beer!!!)

nvcdl
December 24, 2000, 14:39
My favorite gun show dealer "lie" is the little signs saying "Banned" or "Soon to be
Banned", these seem to sprout up on all seniautos and surplus guns at Virginia gun shows.

Chupacabra
December 24, 2000, 14:58
I call them on it. I will tell a dealer straight out, right in front of God and everybody in a very loud voice that he's a liar and that his post ban AR with the flash hider and bayonet are illegal. The best (Worst? Most egregious?) one I heard was when this guy was trying to sell me this M-4 (With a 14" bbl) that was built on an Olympic Arms PCR-95 receiver. He told me that it was "Current Issue" so I promptly retorted in a very loud voice, "Oh, when did the Army start issuing post-ban Oly receivers with illegal M-4 uppers and collapsible stocks?" To which I added, "I KNOW things are bad in the military due to clinton (I refuse to capitalize that name) but I never thought they'd stoop to issuing substandard equipment such as this! Oh by the way, did you know that rifle is illegal in that config?" There were about 4 or 5 customers milling about his table and I could see this guy's face turning RED as his potential customers walked away. It was beautiful. I'm not always as "Nice" though. Sometimes, I'll just tell them, "You know what? You're a freakin' liar--that rifle is in an illegal post-ban config and I ain't stupid enough to get busted for buying it!"
As I was typing this, I had an idea: I don't think the organizer of ANY show would like to hear that an unethical dealer is selling ILLEGAL guns at his show, if you know what I mean, (Wink! Wink! Nudge! Nudge!).

[This message has been edited by EMDII (edited December 27, 2000).]

Revolt Now
December 24, 2000, 15:36
Some of the shows you guys have gone to must be much different than the ones offered around here.

14" m4s!

I have seen some bad sales pitches, but I have never seen anything offered for sale at a show that was illegal.

In Maryland that dealer would not have lasted long before he was fitted with some new jewelery.. *clank* *clank*

Bill

[This message has been edited by Revolt Now (edited December 24, 2000).]

SrBenelli
December 24, 2000, 19:56
Hey Arby, would you be willing to trade that Webley for the Carcano used to shoot Kennedy? It's full auto too!!! How else could as many as seven shots have been fired in Dealy plaza that morning??? Also included is the original lazer range finder, just as issued to the Italian Army! http://www.fnfal.com/forums/biggrin.gif

------------------
"..All morals aside.....Imperialism is FUN!...."

Arby
December 24, 2000, 22:43
I might consider it if you pay shipping on both guns. Are the scope settings on the carcano still set the way Oswald had them? If you monkeyed with the knobs, I may not be interested.

By the way, the Webley still has camel hair and brains on the muzzle end. The barrel is rusted out, though, because T.E. didn't clean it after he shot the camel. According to what I have heard, he hit no Turks with the Webley, only the camel. Let me know if your interested.

I also have a line on Stalin's Nagant. I'll let you know if I get it. Considering a trade for some Stoli for it. Maybe 2 cases?

Merry Christmas!

SrBenelli
December 24, 2000, 23:36
I dunno....after all, that aimpoint on the Webley IS an early one.... http://www.fnfal.com/forums/biggrin.gif

------------------
"..All morals aside.....Imperialism is FUN!...."

mark
December 27, 2000, 07:00
Come On Now...loosen up,
I hear the three biggest lies were:

1)The check is in the mail.

2)He was only a friend.

3)I promise I won't &+*#$ in your mouth.

The order varies, depends on who you talk to.

Kevin
December 27, 2000, 11:00
And let's not forget those "Golly Whoppers" told by some of our best (and expert) customers... here are some of my favourites:

1)Customer holding a box of Western 401 SLR (or any other long out of print) cartridges priced at $60. Sonny, don't you think that's a might high? I bought some at the last show for $5 a box. (Pure BS. He must have attended his last show in 1963.)

2) You know, I carried one of those in WWII. (Take your pick here. Usually holding an M-1A, FN-49 or some other post-war design.)

3) I'll take this. Just go ahead and put it under the table. I'll be back to pay for it. (This one really pisses me. "Bebacks" don't spend like greenbacks. You'll pay me in full now or it is still for sale.)

4) Customer trying to sell you some abortion as a rare experimental model. (Yessiree, that 03A3 in 300 Winchester is GI!)

5) How about the rotten bastard that sells you a beautiful pre-war model 70 in 22 hornet for a good price and swears it's untouched and original? I, of course, fire one cartridge and realise it's been re-chamber to 22 K-Hornet. (Yessir that was my Daddy's gun!! He bought it back after I threatened to sue him.)

6) How about the guy who sells you a gun cheap (03A3 for $150)and then wants to buy it back 5 years (when market is $350)later for the same money? (But, it was my Daddy's gun!! I gotta have it back!!)

7) How about the Great Karnak who can divine excessive headspace without the use of gauges! (That bolt wiggles just a bit much for me. What's a headspace gauge?)

8) Don't forget the thieving bastard who tries to steal the 2 tone clip out of your 1911 that's on the table. (Your just picking on me 'cause I'm black! Mexican! Gay!.. you name it...)

The upshot of this is: There are liars on both sides of the table at times.

Oh well, it's been fun.

Cheers.

Thunderbred
December 27, 2000, 11:38
Some real knowlegeable Falster ought to post a checklist that that we can down load and print before attending a show or approaching a purchase. It could contain what is legal, with an approximate price list of what replacement of legal parts would be. Armed with such; an honest person could inform the unknowlegeable seller that a price adjustment would be in order before you'd purchase said piece. Then offer to return the improper equipment should they agree.

HDR
December 27, 2000, 11:56
The lie to top all lies?

I'm from the fed government...
And I'm here to help.

CC
December 27, 2000, 12:26
HDR: ROFLMAO. So true...CC

Enquiring Minds
December 27, 2000, 14:32
Bruce! A missed Golden Op! For the price of one pair of undershorts (his), you could have made him an honest man!... and cleaned up that organizer's shows for a year or more.