PDA

View Full Version : Legal: what is a "Sear Cut"?

Insider
September 23, 2002, 19:52
What is meant by a sear cut receiver, is it something in addition to having a FA ejector block? What do you look for? Any pictures?

blackbird
September 23, 2002, 19:58
Its an opening from the side of the ejector block (the FA block has a recess) through the receiver floor and rails to allow the safety sear to contact the bolt carrier.

Circuits
September 23, 2002, 19:59
Yes, it's in addition to having a full auto selector.

If the upper receiver area where the lower attaches spans the entire area between the sides of the lower, there's no sear cut.

If there's a gap of about .2 inches on the left side of the pivot area, it's got a sear cut.

If the receiver is sear cut, and not one of the original Belgian FALs (or original Steyr Imports) specifically exempted by ATF, then it's a machinegun receiver, and illegal to possess unless it's properly registered (TO YOU).

Insider
September 23, 2002, 20:04
The way I see it an Imbel receiver with a SA ejector block, and no way to install the safety sear, is OK to build a semi-auto sporter rifle from.

W.E.G.
September 23, 2002, 20:38
view 1

W.E.G.
September 23, 2002, 20:41
view 2

W.E.G.
September 23, 2002, 20:45
The autosear pokes up between the ejector block and the receiver. The sear-cut receiver has a groove cut out of the receiver to allow the autosear to fit between the receiver and the ejector block. The ejector block also has a larger groove to accomodate the autosear.

The autosear will not work unless you have a sear-cut receiver AND a sear-cut ejector block together in one gun.

W.E.G.
December 28, 2002, 11:19
Here's another picture of the autosear.

vfubar
December 01, 2003, 21:33
Guess that means, if you can see this , you're $200 too close, Huh?

xIA
December 01, 2003, 22:58
Originally posted by Insider
The way I see it an Imbel receiver with a SA ejector block, and no way to install the safety sear, is OK to build a semi-auto sporter rifle from.

Just to be sure we're on the same page, If you have an Imbel receiver w/ a sear cut and a SA ejector block, you are still in possession of an unregistered machinegun in the eyes of BATFE, unless, of course, it's registered...
If it's a current, NON sear cut receiver, even w/ a FA ejector block, I believe it was determined in another thread that it's OK.