PDA

View Full Version : Technical: FNC bayos different from FAL bayos?

Brian in MN
September 13, 2002, 08:26
I was just over to Vollmer's and they have an FNC bayonet for sale at $80. Are these things really different from a standard FAL combo device tube bayonet?

Steelcore_7.62
September 13, 2002, 09:05
I'm no expert by any means, but the ones I've seen in european catalogs and in the Belgian Army FNC manual look alot like the US M-7 bayo for the M-16A1 not the tubular FAL type. Maybe they utilized the tubular ones early in production?

donker
September 13, 2002, 14:12
The bayonet that came with my FNC fits my FAL with the combo device.

DK
September 13, 2002, 19:01
Tubular bayonets that fit on combo devices also fit on combo devices :)

There were adapters sold that mounted to the FNC barrels and allowed the use of a M16 bayo....

DK

edit: When I typed "short combo devices" I wasn't referring to the 'short' flashider on a 16" FNC, only the 'regular' combo device found on the 18" FNC and most metric pattern FAL's.

Brian in MN
September 14, 2002, 00:11
Originally posted by DK
Tubular bayonets that fit on short combo devices also fit on short combo devices :)

DK

Well, that's kinda what I thought. Just wondering if I was missing something. My FNC is the short para with the short flash hider so I'm not really sure if a tube bayonet even fits the thing. Never bothered to try it. My bayonets are buried in a closet.

DK
September 14, 2002, 07:22
you must have a 16" para. I don't think the bayo's fit on the 'short' flashiders... only the 'regular' combo devices....
Had an 18" para it worked fine on, never checked the 16" para I had, but I've heard it won't work.

DK

archy
September 14, 2002, 11:07
Originally posted by Brian in MN
I was just over to Vollmer's and they have an FNC bayonet for sale at $80. Are these things really different from a standard FAL combo device tube bayonet?

I'm sure no expert on the FNC or AK5 rifles, but I have picked up a tube-handle bayonet for the FN rifle that I thought was for a FAL, and which didn't fit the short combo device of a South African/Rhodesian R1. Oh well, the price was right, and I got rid of it in a trade for another sticker and $50, which likely puts it right in or around that $80 price quoted for the deal at Vollmer's.

Note that though the helpful arms merchants at FN did indeed make an adapter for the M16 bayonets [usually the US-issue M7 but sometimes the early Eichorn/Solingen wirecutter model based on the AK bayonet] the Swedes instead issue for use with the AK5 rifle a bayonet more similar to that of the German G3, mostly for guard/ceremonial purposes. I can't recall the Swedish Army having been involved in a major bayonet charge in quite a few years....

http://hem.passagen.se/holmback/bayonets/Gallery/Sweden/AK5_Baj.jpg