PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Get This Off!!

airbornefist
September 09, 2002, 02:14
How in the heck do I get the buttstock off! I have broke two different screwdrivers and working up a good mad:mad: . I have tried to push a rod down the center hole and there seems to be nothing there. The screw drivers both fit the thing well, just will not budge. What am I doing wrong?:sad:

Jen
September 09, 2002, 02:36
Buttstock Tool. It's basically a screwdriver that fits the slots on both sides of the butt screw and puts a rod down the tube. The rod is just to control the spring when the butt screw lets go.

You need to get the big screw on the back (the butt screw - I didn't name the thing, that's what the schematic says it is) to start turning, then make sure you have a rod thru the hole (pistol rod etc.. something that can control the spring/screw when the screw lets go, otherwise it will go flying). Just keep unscrewing the screw until it let's go. Remember it's under a lot of spring tension and will go flying (into your face) if you don't have a rod or some other way to control it.

DuaneFrye
September 09, 2002, 09:45
The "butt screw" ( :rolleyes: ) on my R1 was a real b***h to get off. I finally loosened it up with a impact screwdriver (I guess that's what it's called). At any rate, it's one of the gadgets that has a square socket-type drive on one end and you hit it with a BFH on the other end. There's a camming action that loosens things up very nicely.

I got the tool from Harbor Freight, I think. At any rate, it was less than $10 and worth every penny.

airbornefist
September 09, 2002, 11:06
Thanks guys. I will go to my buddies house and try his impact wrench that he has. I can't afford to keep buying screwdrivers.

bykerhd
September 09, 2002, 13:32
An Imbel lower gave me some trouble a while back. The recoil spring tube ended up unscrewing from the lower. Once out, with no stock or springs to worry about, a day or so of penetrating oil and a little heat and it came apart with no damage to the tube or the nut. Don't be too surprised if yours ends up coming apart this way also. Good luck and be careful.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
September 09, 2002, 14:05
the butt screw

ROFL:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It must have been named by an IRS agent.

Para Driver
September 09, 2002, 14:49
I tell you the cheap cheat....
WECSOG 101

put a quarter dollar (yes that's $0.25) in a vice, and turn the buttstock on top of it while holding it FIRMLY with both hands..
mine came off nice and easy, no flying springs or such...

but of course you need the tool to get it back on properly...

W.E.G.
September 09, 2002, 16:17
It is entirely possible that the threads on the tube or the nut are buggered. If some FAL-grunt removed the stock in the field, I'm sure he got quite a suprise when the springs an the nut went flying. Then he got the pleasure of trying to put it back together without the correct tools. A perfect recipe for thread buggery.

It is possible that yours is just grease-siezed.

Try this:
Get out your can of Kroil (you do have Kroil - the elixir of WECSOG - don't you?). If you don't have Kroil, Liquid Wrench is OK.

Remove the upper from the lower.

Place the butt of the lower assembly on the ground.

Use a thin phillips scredriver to push the recoil spring plunger back into the tube as far as you can.

Squirt a generous amount Kroil around the screwdriver so that the Kroil infiltrates the recoil tube and recoil tube springs.

Place the lower assembly in a trash bag to contain the seepage.

DO NOT PLACE THE TRASH BAG CONTAINING YOUR FIREARM NEAR ANY OTHER HOUSEHOLD TRASH. The one day you do this, your family member who NEVER takes out the trash will be stricken with domestic inspiration, and you will be singin' the blues.

Give it a day or two to seep and steep.

Then try again to unscrew it.

One of these makes the job (especially reassembly) a lot easier.
http://www.dsarms.com/images/tlbutstk.jpg

daddy0011
September 09, 2002, 19:48
Just two words,

SAFETY GLASSES!!!

airbornefist
September 09, 2002, 20:09
Thanks for the ideas, what do you mean by depress the spring, I pushed a cleaning rod down the hole in the middle of nut and didn't get feel like I caught anything in it. It just slid in and with no catching on anything. What do I need to put down the whole to depress the spring? Thanks again guys for all your help.:bow:

Antares
September 09, 2002, 23:01
How Do I Get This Off!!

Use the Jeter method and get 'er drunk first! :rofl: :rofl:

Hebrew Battle Rifle
September 09, 2002, 23:18
What Garry.Jeter is saying is push the plunger from the BOLT side of the lower. On the rear of the bolt carrier, there is a thin metal rod commonly called a rat tail. With your upper receiver and lower receiver properly assembled and locked WITHOUT the top cover in place, pull the bolt/bolt carrier back as if you are trying to put a round in the chamber. With the bolt hold open device, lock the bolt back. Now, point the muzzle of the barrel up. Squirt some KROIL or Liquid Wrench into the hole where that little thin metal rod on the rear of your bolt carrier disappeared into. Let is sit few a few days.

FXE
September 10, 2002, 18:12
Be sure and leave in the Tang screw until after the butt stock screw and spring is removed! Go ahead ask me why!

Ok, I'll tell ya!

Remove tang screw in garage

Try to remove butt screw (too dark so go to Kitchen)

Stand in the middle of kitchen floor (good light)

Hold butt stock in one hand

remove screw with other

schliinnggg! WTF? Where did the lower go? Oh it's on the floor! What's this on the floor beside it(picture torn Linoleum) OH $hit!

sometime later Wife comes home, What happened to the Linoleum in the kitchen!

I don't know what? :angel:

HTH
FXE