View Full Version : Israeli heavy barrel build
September 01, 2002, 22:18
I have a IZZY heavy barrel with gas block installed. I also have a Imbel parts kit, will the barrel parts work with the Izzy barrel ie gas block, gas piston, front sight post? I plan on an Imbel receiver. I know I have to retread the barrel. I also have the HB handguards.:confused:
September 01, 2002, 22:31
Welcome to the board boot#1. Let me see if I can help you out with your questions. I am afraid that the parts will not interchange and work properly. The gas block from the Imbel barrel will not fit the heavy barrel. The gas tube for the HB is longer as is the HB piston. The gas plug is shorter and the sight post is different. The Izzy HB gas block is taller which means you will need a taller rear sight (Izzy or Inch type will work). If you use the HB handguards you will also need the larger Izzy handguard retaining ring. You can get everything that you need to make the HB work with the Imbel upper (DSA or Gun Things carry the parts). The lower will work just fine except for the rear sight. I know I have left something out but, I am sure someone else will chime in and help out.
September 03, 2002, 04:07
Sorry, not many of your front-end IMBEL parts will work on an Izzy HB.
* HB muzzle brake is different size and thread pitch.
* HB sling swivel is larger diameter to fit fatter barrel.
* HB gas block is larger diameter to fit fatter barrel, also taller (thus leading to a taller Inch or Izzy rear sight as mentioned).
* HB front sight is different thread pitch, uses a square socket to adjust instead of two little holes like a Metric (IMBEL).
* HB front sight does not use a spring underneath.
* HB front sight locking plate is totally different.
* HB gas plug is shorter, Metric/Inch gas plug doesn't fit in HB gas block.
* HB gas piston is longer.
* Metric/Inch gas piston spring WILL work.
* HB gas tube is longer.
* Metric gas tube pin WILL work.
* HB gas regulator ring is different but Metric ring WILL work.
* Metric gas regulator ring spring (makes it click) WILL work.
* HB handguards will fit Metric/Inch barrels with slight modification to accept a Metric/Inch handguard ring (against receiver), Metric/Inch handguards too small to fit the HB.
* HB handguard ring is larger.
* Metric/Inch gas tube nut WILL work.
* Any carrying handle WILL work but the rifle will be nose-heavy; HB carrying handle properly balances weight.
A part not found in a standard Metric/Inch rifle are handguard spacers that fit around the gas tube; Izzy HBs take one, Izzy LBs take two. Aftermarket machined aluminum replacements (scarce originals were stamped sheetmetal) are available from several vendors such as gunplumber at ARS (http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com).
That should about cover it all. Eh? ;)
September 03, 2002, 09:48
Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll keep the imbel kit intact and buy the other izzy parts I need, now I'll have two guns to build!:biggrin:
September 03, 2002, 14:13
Another example of why this board ROCKS. Two vets giving solid info to a newbie.:bow: :bow:
September 03, 2002, 18:25
the stuff u will need,,try larry /fn,,he knows tons about izzys & has most parts in stock ,good guy too..bought stuff from him a few times,,;)
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.