PDA

View Full Version : Furniture: Aussie L1A1 ever use black pebble grain?

xk319
July 22, 2002, 17:13
Aussie's ever have all black Brit style furniture? Think I saw a post a while back saying they never adopted, nor outfitted any of their military rifles with it.

Mosin Guy
July 22, 2002, 18:47
I believe the only Aussie plastic stocked rifles were the ones sold to New Zealand and it was a bit different than the British versions.HTH

Andy the Aussie
July 22, 2002, 20:06
That was probably my post about them not fitting it here is Skippyland....to the best of my knowledge it was never fitted at Lithgow....I do recall seeing some kicking around Singo in the late 80's no grips or handguards only the butts...it was a psudo trial of the stuff which ended up going nowhere.

Hope that helps

Andy:bigangel:

1feral1
July 23, 2002, 02:49
I have seen only on the odd occasion rifles fitted with standard UK made furniture, and like Andy says here and there rifles with butts only.

Also the odd rifle with the handguards etc. don't know why, where or when the ADF monkied with Marynl (spelling?).

To the best of my knowledge, this was 'one off' stuff, and was never issued in any qty. All most likely thru 'unit procurement' from sources unknown.

Regards,
1feral1

Aussie Grunt
July 23, 2002, 07:30
I know for a fact that the Lithgow factory had between 250 and 300 sets of the plastic furniture in stores for years and decided at one stage that they weren't going to issue it so they DESTROYED IT!!!:eek: Geez that sh#%s me! If you think that's bad, how about the 70 (maybe more) No 4 Sniper rifles, complete with all CES in the transit cases that they put in a pile and torched because the Parker Hale was the rifle adopted and the No 4's were not to be issued.:confused: It's ok for a grown man to cry ...........isn't it?

Cheers.

NZ L1A1 Collector
July 23, 2002, 08:05
There is an Australian Armourers Instruction that is dated Nov 86 about the the introduction and fitting of the:-
PLASTIC BUTT CONVERSION KIT.

"The conversion is to be carried out only when stocks of wooden butts are exhausted and the butt fitted unrepairable."

So from 1986 onwards some Australian issued L1A1's might of had plastic butts fitted.

New Zealand had a similar policy but was more general in the fact that if the butt/pistol grip/handguards components needed to be replaced then we would replace them. It was not uncommon to see a rifle fitted with plastic butt & handguards and a wooden pistol grip. OR wood pistol grip & butt and plastic handguards. or a mix of any combination.

There was also rifles with full plastics. When New Zealand purchased the plastic Butts they either forgot or didn't want to pay for the British plastics sling swivel so a simple 1 piece wire sling swivel was designed, made and fitted. these things are a pig to put on and take off.

New Zealand made their own pattern of handguards in the early to mid 80's. These look like the British versions except they have an extra pair of slots on the top.

Top: Prototype/Trials New Zealand Pattern Hanguards
Middle: Production New Zealand Pattern Hanguards
Bottom: British Handguards

Aussie Grunt
July 24, 2002, 03:49
Hey Kevin,
Could you tell me if NZ ever made their own pattern of plastic carry handle. I used to own an ex NZ issue rifle and it had a handle that was bigger and chunkier than the usual pattern. Since owning that one I have seen several pictures of L1A1's in NZ publications showing the same type on them. Just curious.

Cheers. :fal:

EMDII
July 24, 2002, 04:05
Kevin- something has happened to the pic. Doesn't fill in completely.

NZ L1A1 Collector
July 24, 2002, 04:22
Aussie Grunt
Yes we did make our own version of carry handles using the orginal stems from the wooden handles that had been removed from service and most likely made at the same factory the handguards were.

NZ L1A1 Collector
July 24, 2002, 04:24
Here's the handguard pic again