PDA

View Full Version : Magazines: G3 & CETME interoperable?

meganpoo
July 03, 2002, 07:06
Posted this over in the AR15 forums but didn't get much of a response:

Does anybody know if the G3 mags will work in the CETME? I know CETME mags will work in the G3 but vaguely remember reading somewhere that the opposite is not true.

I'd like a G3 but I don't think I'll ever have that much money saved up - and CETMEs are cheap, and I have all these G3 mags and all these crates of 7.62Nato just laying around and this space in my gun cabinet next to my FAL...

pmf
July 03, 2002, 07:54
Well get that damn CETME and start a personal mission to rid the world of surplus 308!

Yes, G3 mags work in a CETME. In fact, I think they work better (fit tighter) than the new CETME mags I bought. Cheaper too.

The CETME is a good deal at the prices they're being offered for. I like my FAL better, but I'm glad I bought one. Its a unique rifle. I'd never spend the money for a HK91, so a CETME is a good way to own something fairly similar.

19kilo
July 03, 2002, 10:44
One thing to remember here is that current commercial G3's and CETMES are build on the exact same receiver! So no matter what the other stuff is, G3 etc. it will / should function with either mag.
KILO OUT

mriddick
July 03, 2002, 11:16
It works with the new CAI guns but not with orginals, they do use the same reciever. In one of my G3's the CETME mags are tighter while G3mags fit looser, go figure :)

MWDG3
July 03, 2002, 11:50
My preban MARS will function 100% with S. African and CETME 30's, all 20's including Thermold. My stainless CAI will barely fit CETME and HK, Thermolds not a chance.

I can look long-ways(down the barrel) and see the mag catch is cockeyed, right side high. I'll likely take a little off the top of the catch and that should do it. Remember the surplus mags are factory spec, U.S. receivers aren't. Modifying mags makes them rifle specific.

Dorsai
July 03, 2002, 17:30
Ok, let me ask another question.
If Century is using the same receiver to build their G3 & Cetme rifles, does that mean you can switch the trigger/pistol group packs? The reason I ask is that I really don't like the way the safety works on the Cetme. Up to fire!

legion489
July 03, 2002, 19:09
Yes the butt stock and trigger pack are the same in both rifles, or at least very easy to change out, on all CETME/G3/HK91 type rifles.

toolman_ar
July 03, 2002, 20:35
The G3 mag will fit the Cetme. Just tried it, and no the Cetme will not work in the G3. The Cetme mag has two raised places on the side, front of the mag, at the top. These help the mag not to woble while inserted. But the raised places keep the mag from entering the mag well of the G3. I guess you could force it in, but I am not going that far...

I also compaired the recievers of both rifles. While they look very similar, they are different. The front of the mag well is formed differently.

As far as the internals, they look just alike. Old! I don't know about swaping the triger group, but should fit with not problem. The sights and the furniture seem to be the biggest differance.

I was unhappy with the function of both weapons after purchase. Sent them back to CIA and upon return they both function fine. The G3 seems to be more accurate on paper at 100 yards.

I purchased the L1A1 at the same time, by far the better of the three. No problems to date, just hot hand guards!

Toolman_ar

sear
July 03, 2002, 23:51
cetme mag works real nice in a special weapons sw3,
just a little side to side play.thermold is the tightest.but works
great.cetme mag may not work in a century cast g3,
but should work in their cetme-they may grind some here and there.best advice:find the gun that will take both type mags
unmodified.

xcpd69
July 04, 2002, 03:13
Cetme mags work just fine in my Springfield Armory SAR-8. The Greek licensed HK copy, NOT the aluminum one. The mags ARE a little tight, but work just fine.

MWDG3
July 04, 2002, 12:07
It depends on the location of the magcatch hole drilled behind the magwell. If it's too high the mags will be tight or not fit at all. A few members at Gunboards have reported their CETME mags have to be hammered on the bottom to fit. The catch is too high to slip into the notch on the side of the mag.

Factory CETME mags are loose in my preban, same with HK stamped G3 mags in my Greek SAR8. Loose, not too loose, is good in a battle rifle. Just my .02.

u04174
July 07, 2002, 11:02
FWIW
Even on CETMEs, it depends on which century receiver you have.
I have a SS cast one that I had to hammer in the mags to catch. Even right out of the box the mags wouldn’t lock in. I have an assortment of CETME and G3 mag, and not all will lock in the cast receiver. The receiver is too tall [or catch is too high]…the bottom of the mag well is shiny where the mags stops have rubbed the finish off.

I recently got a stamped receiver. All of the CETME and G3 mags lock in, right out of the box. The mag well is a little tight inside, judging by the new wear marks.

The BSQUARE mounts attaches easily to the stamped, but not the cast. It will require filing to attach to the cast.

Also suggest going to the CETME forum at

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/

Which is where MWDG3 mentioned. Great source of CETME info.

walruskid1
September 30, 2002, 14:14
will g3 mags fit and function in a cetme? how about cetme mags in a hk91?

pmf
September 30, 2002, 14:22
I know G3 mags will work in a CETME because I have a CETME and some G3 mags. In fact, I think they work better than the CETME mags. As far as CETME mags working in a HK91, I have no idea.

If you have both rifles, get the G3 ones. They're cheaper.

panchop
September 30, 2002, 14:44
yes

avanarts
September 30, 2002, 16:15
It is my understanding that the CETME's currently being sold are made on modified G3 receivers, so the G3 mags will work. They will not, however, work in a "real" CETME.

I have also seen a post or two that some people are finding CETME mags to be a bit too loose in their G3's.

I guess it boils down to "try it and find out what works in your gun."

walruskid1
October 01, 2002, 21:08
much thanks, will look for some g3 mags next show, right now i think i'll refinish the wood. looks like 40 miles of gravel road.

panchop
October 02, 2002, 00:26
Originally posted by avanarts
It is my understanding that the CETME's currently being sold are made on modified G3 receivers, so the G3 mags will work. They will not, however, work in a "real" CETME.

I have also seen a post or two that some people are finding CETME mags to be a bit too loose in their G3's.

I guess it boils down to "try it and find out what works in your gun."
they work in mine, worked in my last one also.