PDA

View Full Version : No More AK Shooting at My Range

Adventurer_96
June 30, 2002, 15:16
Well, with Wolf ammo anyway. It seems that since there's such a high fire risk out here at the moment, steel cored ammo is verboten as it may spark a fire. :sad: Besides, if it weren't for Wolf and the other Russian cartridges, no one could afford to shoot an AK or SKS.

I know, there are several of you out there who might say that this is a positive development ;) but I love shooting my AK's and I may have to make a special AK trip to one of the other local ranges which hasn't made similar restrictions.

Hey, that Portuguese ammo isn't steel cored is it? How about Hirt?;)

Antares
June 30, 2002, 15:20
but they didnt say anything about tracers! :devil:

AR-45ACP
June 30, 2002, 15:20
I had no idea that Wolf was steel core, I thought it was just bi-metal jacketed lead.

GSF1200
June 30, 2002, 15:41
it has a steel jacket, I know sparks fly when I shoot tin cans or metal plate's with my AR15 and SS-109 ammo.

Snakeshot
June 30, 2002, 15:41
'Fraid the Port is steel jacketed, copper washed.

Likely verboten. Don't be startin' any fires now.;)

WJ-Polish Guy
June 30, 2002, 18:00
Importation and sale of steel core AK ammo was banned long before I landed in this country years ago.

Now, I would check South African AK ammo, it have copper jacket, price is decent. I would also check Jugo AK ammo it should be copper jacketed.
For example I see AIM has 1200 rounds cases for $89 I guess it is SAfrican. Thats better than Wolf....
Check with importer before ordering though... Hope this helps;)

geerhed
June 30, 2002, 18:39
To be honest, I don't know why everyone is so upset with a few steel-core rounds bouncing around. It seems our Forest Service and firefighter folks are a bigger hazard this year...:mad:

CO fire (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,56582,00.html)

AZ fire (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,56608,00.html)

Adventurer_96
June 30, 2002, 23:53
It's my understanding that the Wolf stuff is steel cored, if I remember correctly their ads have remarked that their ammo is copper jacketed in order to reduce barrel wear. The way the range officer checked was by holding a magnet to the tip of the bullet. It bit off on the bullet, not just the steel case.

I may have to switch over to the Cheetah stuff. Fortunately, Vector Arms isn't too far away so I can get some of that stuff in the local area. I'll have to check to see what kind of .308 I start shooting in my :fal: I don't want to cause any trouble...

As far as tracers go, the rumor is that last year a guy with a .50BMG was told not to shoot tracers several times by folks on the line, and after the third or fourth person saw him shooting them, he was kicked off the range just as a brush fire broke out. Coincidence?

Glock 17
July 01, 2002, 00:58
Cheetah ammo is almost as cheap as wolf and is made by

www.vectorarms.com Its not bad and runs decent

masman
July 01, 2002, 05:16
The way the range officer checked was by holding a magnet to the tip of the bullet. It bit off on the bullet, not just the steel case. i'd invest in a kinetic bullet puller check it yourself at home with a magnet then if it don't bite.take it to the range and show the range officer

GSF1200
July 01, 2002, 06:30
Wolf sold alot of steel core, after the ban. It was steel core hollow points, they were allowed to sell it, because it wasn't AP. I don't know if they still sell it.

WJ-Polish Guy
July 01, 2002, 08:21
Originally posted by GSF1200
Wolf sold alot of steel core, after the ban. It was steel core hollow points, they were allowed to sell it, because it wasn't AP. I don't know if they still sell it.

I do not think you are right. 7.62x39 steel cored ammo was banned from sale and importation on handgun ammo laws. That law do not care if ammo is AP or not, it just says that bullet can`t have any other core but lead.

Maybe you refering to 5.45x39 ammo, there are no pistols aviable in that caliber and I think military ammo in that caliber should be importable.

M90A1
July 01, 2002, 09:53
We gun owners are our own worst enemy with all the mis-information we spew. :sad:

geerhed
July 01, 2002, 12:47
You can thank alphabet soup agencies, emotion-driven statues, and constantly-changing interpretations by authorities for that. We're just trying to play catch up.

Adventurer_96
July 01, 2002, 13:14
It is confusing, but I guess if I'm going to shoot up there I'll just have to switch over to Cheetah stuff. Although the range officer is a great fellow, he did make a crack about "these guys with their assault rifles," the other day. ;) Guess that's me.

Masman, I think I've got a bullet that I removed downstairs, but I believe it's a FMJ. I love this ammo, it shoots well in my AK's and it's inexpensive. I've found the HP to be sleightly more accurate in my AK's than the FMJ stuff, but then we all know how inherently accurate the AK design is!

Here's info from the Wolf website (www.wolfammo.com):

WOLF Performance Ammunition saves you money. WOLF cartridges are made with a mild steel casing* which reduces manufacturing costs while delivering performance equal to brass cased ammunition.*Excluding shotshell and rimfire ammunition
WOLF pistol and rifle ammunition feature a copper jacketed projectile which results in less barrel wear and preserves the life of valuable firearms. Copper jacketed projectiles are also accepted at indoor/outdoor ranges where steel jacketed projectiles are prohibited

Dunsel
July 01, 2002, 13:39
May I suggest you not use Cheetah ammo as it supports the bloody government in Zimbaway. The chances of you starting a fire with AK ammo is almost impossible. Have you ever tried starting a fire with sleel and flint......mulp attempts to get it going.
This is a BS reason. Our club is in a dry area and we even have our own fire truck, we never ban any types of ammo. It just a bunch of BS from a bunch of flea brains. By the way where is your club located?
Dunsel

Sydwaiz
July 01, 2002, 15:09
Uhh, I just checked all of my Wolf 7.62 last night. None of it is magnetic. Hollow points or FMJ, not magnetic. Go figure.

Adventurer_96
July 01, 2002, 15:27
Dunsel: I've heard it said that buying the Cheetah ammo is supporting the Mugabe regime, basically unsubstantiated claims on the internet with no sources. I'm not saying that it isn't true, I just haven't seen any proof beyond a post or two about how we shouldn't support his actions by buying this ammo.

This range isn't like the one where I shot in the desert in Arizona. There is brush in the area which can catch fire. It happened last year, and it could happen again. It's close to a residential area. I would not call attempts to mitigate the chance of fire "flea brained." Although I'm new to the western part of the US, I have a new appreciation for the forest fire hazard out here. A fire could lead to several homes being lost and the range being shut down permanently.

Sydwaiz: I'm going to check my ammo myself with a magnet.

MiniZ
July 01, 2002, 18:57
Adventurer_96, which range?(I'm in SLC)

Snakeshot
July 01, 2002, 19:53
Adventurer,
Cheetah is clearly advertised in Shotgun News as made in Zimbabwe.
NOT unsubstantiated internet stuff.

Unless someone can verify that the money is going to a farmer's defense fund or similar effort, it should be boycotted.

shortround
July 01, 2002, 20:08
Originally posted by WJ-Polish Guy

I do not think you are right. 7.62x39 steel cored ammo was banned from sale and importation on handgun ammo laws. That law do not care if ammo is AP or not, it just says that bullet can`t have any other core but lead.

Maybe you refering to 5.45x39 ammo, there are no pistols aviable in that caliber and I think military ammo in that caliber should be importable.

WJ is right. When I was an 01 FFL, I got a letter from the alphabet boys ordering a stop to the sale of chinese steel CORE ammo. This was because a certain mfg. (Olympic Arms, I believe), had submitted a prototype AR pistol in 7.62. On the basis of this, they gave you the choice of keeping and not selling your inventory, or returning it to the importer. Of course, wouldn't you know I had just had a major sale on mine just before I got their letter. If anyone mfg's a 5.45 pistol, the same thing will probably happen.

donker
July 01, 2002, 20:27
Originally posted by Snakeshot
Adventurer,
Cheetah is clearly advertised in Shotgun News as made in Zimbabwe.
NOT unsubstantiated internet stuff.

Unless someone can verify that the money is going to a farmer's defense fund or similar effort, it should be boycotted.

Ditto, check your Shotgun News, check their web site. I've spoken to a few ammo sellers at shows who won't sell it b/c of this reason. The company should have known better than to buy from Zimbabwe. An alternative is SA but the gov't there is becoming not much better as time passes.

Adventurer_96
July 01, 2002, 20:48
Thanks for the point in the right direction! Vector Arms, page 165 of the July 1 issue of SGN has that info at the bottom, I must have missed it.
QUOTE]Mfgr.: Zimbabwe Defense Industries[/QUOTE]
I'm glad to have a source. I appreciate the info. It seems like the gun community is very good at showing support (or lack thereof) with their disposable income. Just look at Smith & Wesson!

Oh, and although I didn't pull apart one of my 7.62x39 hollowpoint Wolf rounds, the magnet grabs right onto the tip. I was hoping I still had the one I'd pulled apart a few months ago, but I guess I lost it in the move.

So, what now? Yugo ammo? I don't like the hassle that corrosive stuff causes in a semiauto. I'll have to do a bit more searching.

The range is in Bountiful by the way, nice setup but about a 20-25 minute drive for me. I was spoiled with my last range being just 5 minutes from the house.

MiniZ
July 01, 2002, 23:11
Well, if it helps, you can drive another 15 minutes from Bountiful and hit the Lee Kay Center in Salt Lake-no worries about starting a fire.

Adventurer_96
July 02, 2002, 00:09
That could be a possibility. I'll get more info at the July 13th shoot if I'm able to shoot.