PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy: M-1 Garand vs M-14

Slater
June 30, 2002, 10:48
Is the M-14 rifle considered to be a more accurate weapon than the M-1 Garand, assuming standard GI issue rifles?

GSF1200
June 30, 2002, 11:16
I've heard they are practically the same, if both are setup, and both are chambered for 7.62. My accurized M1 in 30-06 with Douglas XX airguaged match barrel, shoots sub moa with issue sights. The load I shoot is LC match brass, WLR primer, Sierra 168gr hpbt, and 46.5grs of IMR-4895 give about 2690fps over the chrono.

mriddick
June 30, 2002, 16:19
The M1A is easier to accuraize then the Garand but both can be highly accurate. When one free floats a M1 alot of times they use M1A techniques and float off the front handguard making the tuning very similar.

JF
June 30, 2002, 19:58
GSF1200- What's the length on that barrel?

W.E.G.
June 30, 2002, 20:21
They are equal. Both are very good.

FP1201
June 30, 2002, 21:32
both have advantages and disadvantages:
the garand is easier in the prone, because theirs no magazine to dig into the dirt, but you had better "do it" in eight rounds or it's gonna get uncomortable. Most of the write ups I've read over the years give a slight accuracy advantage with the 7.62x51.
30-06 will allow heavier bullets, surplus ammo is more expensive than 7.62. 30'06 can be purchased almost anywhere. The M14 is a slicker, newer rifle, with a higher capacity, but you can still buy two old war horses for what you'll pay for one M14. I seem to remember something about Jeff Cooper opting for a Garand and a handful of enblocs if TSHTF. I'll take the Garand, but i'de sure like another M1A1/M14 just my .02:]

John Culver
July 01, 2002, 00:23
"assuming standard GI issue rifles?"

no free floating accurizing etc allowed.

I still like the M1 garand

GSF1200
July 01, 2002, 06:45
Originally posted by JF
GSF1200- What's the length on that barrel?

It's 24" with a 4 groove 1 in 10 twist

Sand Pirate
July 01, 2002, 09:18
Sorry Slater, no help from me. I'm not a good enough rifleman to get all there is out of either rifle.

Do what the true addict does: Declare the question unanswerable until direct, first-hand data is amassed. Then buy both.

doubletap
July 01, 2002, 11:49
A buddy and I have went around and around about this for some time. His M1A with minimal mods (NM trigger job) goes about 1.5 MOA day in and out. My favorite Garand, with a nice VAR (Danish Service barrel) and a NM trigger job goea about 1 1/2 MOA with 66 LC ball ammo all day too. If we both use good match quality ammo, we're both pushing moa or slightly under.
From what I've seen, in some ways the M1 is slightly more "grunge" resistant, but the op rod is somewhat more prone to damage from out of spec ammo, i.e. using too slow burn rate of powder. The gas plug screw also has to be watched, but anyone shooting a Garand for any amount of time already knows that.
The M1A seems to be more robust in the op rod, but a little more crud sensitive in the gas piston. Needs scraping more often.
Personally, it's a take your pick option. an M1 in 7.62 is such a pussy cat to shoot, if I could only have one of the above, it would be a 762 Garand, easy shooting, cheap milsurp, good accuracy. But choose your poison, neither are bad.

ByronF
July 01, 2002, 12:02
I've read from credible sources that they have equal potential. The Garand has more bedding surface area than the M1A so the bedding will likely last longer. However, the M1A has a tougher gas system so the gas system will likely require more periodic attention to keep it in the X.

Byron