PDA

View Full Version : Re-barrelling STG58 / Imbel

robbdann
June 27, 2002, 13:23
I'm a brand new member as of a few hours ago.

My son and I have an STG58 parts kit on an Imbel receiver. He
(son, Danny) has a new, higher quality barrel and we want to
install it.

He's got the AGI video which is pretty good, but our concern is
whether or not any machining (threads; shoulder) might be
required to get everything done right. Any tips or suggestions
would be greatly appeciated regarding this little project...
especially re: headspacing.

Thanks y'all!

John Culver
June 27, 2002, 13:49
I rebarelled my old century with a STG barell, went well and headspaced on the original lockijng shoulder...I DID have to shave a cpl thou off the barell shoulder to get it to time. Get a good barewll vise and reciever wrench, it'll make life oh so much easier for you.

Do a sear for barell timing. The 2 rod method is about the easiest to determine correct TDC (TOp Dead Center) for the timing

robbdann
June 27, 2002, 14:17
John Culver-

Thanks for your input. By the way, ours is a metric rifle, and there
are no spacers/washers...or what may be locking shoulders. So I
guess those few thou may be needed in our case anyway??

We're truly "shadetree" gunsmiths...but are damn careful with
things that could hurt!

We believe this should not be too hard a project, and sure don't
want to ship the rifle off, etc. Will post progress reports as we
go.

Thanks again,

Fred Robbins
ROBBDANN

BamaFal
June 27, 2002, 15:18
RobbDann,

These addictive rifles make for great father/son projects;)

However, please do some more research on the FAL! Barrel timing is critical for accuracy. The Locking Shoulder is CRITICAL for SAFETY and Accuracy. SAFETY first. The Locking Shoulder controls headspace.

Please take advantage of the search capability for gunsmithing and don't be afraid to ask questions. I certainly asked enough newbie/stupid FAL questions and the members on this board responded with helpful guidance, though sometimes blount and directed, never the less help that made the project fun and successful.

Search, don't be afraid to ask:D

Good Luck, welcome aboard, enjoy it while you are rich, you are about to spend all the money you ever hope to have:eek:

Gary

Queenie
June 27, 2002, 15:23
robbdan...You will find the locking shoulder in the receiver (you do have a working rifle I assume). It is the pin with the elongated "tab" on the right side and two "flats" milled on it. Its located at the rear of the mag well looking down from the top of the open receiver. This is the part that the rear of the bolt engages that determines headspace. You may or may not need to replace the locking shoulder when the new barrel is installed. Depends on what you determine using the proper headspace gauges.

orca
June 27, 2002, 18:59
If it shoots good and the barrel is bright, the hammer forged Steyr barrel is hard to beat! I know a number of owners opt for a chrome lined replacement, but I really appreciate the quality of the original Austrian barrel as long as they are serviceable. Just my .02 cts, orca