PDA

View Full Version : Modified Foreign part now a US part???

Hoplophile
June 27, 2002, 10:19
Does anybody know if one were to modify an Izzy handguard, would it then become a US manufactured part? (Replace the wood with synthetic)
If this is one of those asked 1000 times Q's my appypollylogeys. I couldn't figure out how to search for this specific topic.

gunsmith_tony
June 27, 2002, 11:35
Nope.
A modified foreign part is still a foreign part.

W.E.G.
June 27, 2002, 12:09
"Conversion" of a handguard to a handguard does not change its character. If you can figure how to change a stock into a handguard, you might have a a strong argument.

I don't know whether Century is still furnishing that POS two-piece gas piston. But, I understand that they did get some sort of ruling that by chopping the piston in two, and throwing half of it away, and replacing the thrown-away-half with a "US" nail (or whatever that flimsy thing was), it became a US part. Maybe if you throw away half the handguard, you can make your argument by analogy.

Generally speaking, by the time a one-man-band gets in trouble over foreign parts, he's probably already in such deep kim-chee, it really matters very little.

http://users.erols.com/gary.jeter/soapbox.gif
Of course, there are those FAL-types who insist in conducting a 27-CFR-178-cross-examination of every FAL owner they meet. Stop it. This questioning is tiresome and intrusive. Everybody should comply with the law, and the rest of us would do well to mind our own business.

ByronF
June 27, 2002, 12:11
The izzy h-guard issue is sort of unique. Depends on what portion of the Izzy part is considered the handguard.

1. If BATF agrees that the wood panels constitute the handguard, then you could attach your plastic panels to the liner to satisfy one US part count.

2. If BATF considers the entire assembly to be the handguard I guess you'd have 1/2 US made handguard. Probably not good enough.

3. If BATF considers the liner to be the handguard your plastic liners will not count as a US part.

Byron