PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Camsoline Question

Fallen
June 27, 2002, 02:16
I know this is probly a stupid question. But I am new to this and I have just recieved my first G1 kit. It is caked in camsoline. How do you get that stuff off? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Fallen

Seth Livzz
June 27, 2002, 06:29
Engine degreaser, Simple Green, Castrol Purple Stuff, dishwashing machine, couple bucks at the car wash, Methyl Ethyl Ketone...

Blood of Tyrants
June 27, 2002, 08:35
...automotive brake cleaner, kerosene, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, elbow grease....

BoarValley
June 27, 2002, 08:41
Boiling water is best, and easiest.

Offctr
June 27, 2002, 08:46
If you are going to do more than one (ha--haha--hahaha --bwuhahahahahahahhah! --whoops sorry!) invest in a 5 gallon plastic pail and a few gallons of laquer thinner and some of the heavy rubber gloves for harsh chemicals (work outside --dont smoke) this makes cosmo removal a snap. These days you can leave it outside in the sun on a picnic table with some newspaper under it and lots will leech out -especially if you have wood stocks- the best part about this is it can be done while you go to work, soak in the tub, have a beer whatever let time and nature do the work for you it helps get the cosmo out of little crevices that are otherwise unacessable. I have an M-48a that despite repeated cleanings and a heat gun session still oozes cosmo -the SKS too- and some parts you just dont want to subject to chemicals or too much heat.
brake parts cleaner works great as a final clean but is not good for wood and the like -really dries it out. Good for metal not for wood and will surface melt some plastics.

TinMan99
June 27, 2002, 08:51
Hot air gun on metal parts works well too. Don't use on wood or polymer but small and large parts are easily cleaned by using a hot air gun set to low to melt it off. Once liquified by heat, cosmoline runs like motor oil.

TinMan99

Tony.
June 27, 2002, 10:01
Boil in TSP (paint section of a hardware store).

gunsmith_tony
June 27, 2002, 11:38
TSP works very well indeed.

Queenie
June 27, 2002, 15:11
I use HOT water and a good strong detergent. Rubber gloves and a brush followed by a good rinse again in HOT water. A quick blow dry with a hair dryer and a dose of WD 4O in all the nooks and crannies to drive out any moisture left behing. Then its Breakfree CLP everywhere followed by a good wipe down.

julysol
June 28, 2002, 06:51
Avoid the 5 gal bucket idea. Remember, you have to dispose of it when you're done. Unless you have 20 kits to clean.

All the other chems work well, MEK is not so health so be careful, one thing everyone left out was a few good tooth brushes! I use brake cleaner with rags/paper towels. but to get the caked stuff in the nucks and cranies..it's brushes, ear swabs, tooth picks and what ever else is useful to loosen it up. then blast it with brake cleaner and the lil' red extension tube. An oil change pan is great to use also because as you're cleaning one part over it, you can set other parts inside to soak in the solvent mess at the same time. This makes them a bit easier to clean when it's their turn. :beer:

What doesn't evaporate (brake cleaner) just sop it up with paper towles and toss em. But it's best to toss them the day before garbage pick up so you don't have a very potential fire hazard! And remember to keep it all well ventalated and work in a good ventalated area. You can also set the oil pan full of wet towels outside where its safe. The towels will dry pretty fast (a day or 2)and also the pan, then just wipe the cosmoline residue out the pan. time fer another beer!:beer:

2ndssnco
June 28, 2002, 16:36
Go to your local gun store and get some Casey Birchwood Gun Scrubber. Spray it on lightly and the cosmoline will run off like water. Wipe down with some oil and you are good to go. I don't think it was any more expensive than anything else listed but the job sure went quick.:shades:

Ak_guy
June 28, 2002, 16:40
Originally posted by gunsmith_tony
TSP works very well indeed.

Got TSP in my 20gal parts washer also!! :)

Anyone know if I could add Simple Green to the TSP??? Would it be safe?