PDA

View Full Version : Microwave Parkerizing

Big Jim
June 26, 2002, 22:21
I've done this for a couple of years and it works great on small parts. Many times during the course of some jobs some small part will require parkerizing and it seems hardly worth it to fire up the tank for, say, a safety lever or trigger or whatnot. I keep an older microwave oven in the shop for just such an occasion. I use a coffee cup (dedicated to just this operation or your coffee WILL taste funny) and dip up a little solution from the cold park tank, heat the contents to a boil and pitch in the freshly blasted part. If the finish isn't dark enough I turn the microwave back on with the part still in the solution and cook'er some more. I always make sure the part is fully submerged and have never had any trouble of which I'm aware--I borrowed one of those field strength microwave leakage gadgets from an appliance tech buddy once and nothing unusual showed up while doing this on some small parts. I don't hang around the oven too close either on just the off-chance reflected energy might cook my eyeballs or whatever..I haven't had the cojones to try any large metal item in the oven but have had good results with a pyrex dish of solution heated up and used outside the oven on a couple of pistol slides and frames. I don't cook any food in either the oven or the glassware. I really don't recommend this for the household oven; the one I'm using was retired by the Missus some time ago. And buy your own Pyrex dishes, too--the wimmen are shore fussy 'bout theirs!

gunplumber
June 27, 2002, 02:21
it will etch glassware (AMHIK) but seems to work fine with porceline. I'd previously used a tupperware cover for a stick of butter as it fits the cocking handle fine.

Also, try birchwood casey BRASSBLACK for a parkerizing touchup - its amazing - better than any cold blue - found out by accident when I grabbed the wrong bottle that it works better than the intended product.

TinMan99
June 27, 2002, 09:09
Isn't brassblack and alumiblack and superblue all the same acid, just in varying degrees of strength? I seem to be able to blue steel with alumiblack and its a faster and darker blue than standard superblue.

TinMan99

MichonRAFW
June 27, 2002, 09:18
And buy your own Pyrex dishes, too--the wimmen are shore fussy 'bout theirs!

When she catches you using "her" dishes for parkerizin' just turn around and get her for jammin your screw driver or needle nose pliars down the sink to clear a clog! and then not puttin it back.;)
Ryan

mountain man
June 27, 2002, 11:02
Big Jim- Don't worry about microwave leakage increasing because of metal parts in oven. It won't happen. What might happen is if the parts are shaped right, microwave antenna wise, you could get an electrical discharge, which will burn the surface of the parts, much like an arc welder or plasma torch. You should be (relatively)safe with parts under 1.25" or so in any dimension, including circumference. That's a quarter wavelength at microwave oven frequencies, about the smallest dimension that they will interact with. Be wary of anything that's about 2.5 inches, though. That will interact strongly with microwaves.