PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Carrier Swap

raf
June 26, 2002, 17:49
Can I swap metric pattern bolt carriers, retain the original bolt, and not change headspace? TIA, RAF

jimmieZ
June 26, 2002, 17:55
Absolutely - I've done this many times myself. The bolt fit-up to the locking shoulder dtermines the headspace. The bolt carrier does little else except rack the bolt into & out of battery.

Jim Z

W.E.G.
June 26, 2002, 21:05
Often asked.

The answer is yes.

rob1
June 26, 2002, 21:58
just make sure to keep the correct bolt, change carriers as desired.

rMac71
June 27, 2002, 05:56
Well, maybe. I was playing around the other day trying to figure a way to tighten up my headspace on a G-1. It was a little sloppy but I had a .274 LS in so going bigger was not an option. First, I swapped both bolt and carrier from my G-1 and Imbel. This did indeed tighten up the headspace by .004 Then I found that by retaining the original bolt and swapping the carrier out for my Imbel that produced the same result. When I put the G-1 carrier in the Imbel it didn't change the headspace at all -- go figure. I figured I had just screwed up the measurement somewhere so I doubled checked this to make sure it wasn't just my error. So if you do swap carriers, it's probably not a bad idea to recheck your headspace. JimmieZ is right on in what he said about the bolt determining headspace and it shouldn't make a bit of difference but it did in my case and I can't explain it.

Randy