PDA

View Full Version : Any reason why DSA parts are so overpriced?

7.62FMJ
June 26, 2002, 01:12
I know- blasphemy. But really their US made internals, furniture and other US parts are horribly over priced when the quality is only marginally better than other US made type stuff.

$90 for an HTS set when you can get FSE for half that. Front handguards $49 when you can get an entire US furniture set from Tapco for the same price. Even the US made pistol grips and gas pistons are high in price. Sure they make great stuff but they are subcontracting out these parts just like everyone else. Do they pay more for production- I don't believe so.
Maybe someone else can answer this because I can not figure it out. Sorry for the rant but having to jump through the 922r hoop is bad enough when you ain't getting ripped off on US parts.
To me the bottom line is this, US parts are nothing but knock offs to begin with. The quality is gauged on just how well the US knock off compaires to the original part. So you get a few companies that with US engineering technique manages to come close to original specifications then they feel they can charge us ten times what they pay to produce such items.

By the time your done buying your internals, gas piston, and furniture set- you could have bought another kit. If you buy all the parts needed for compliance you could have bought two kits.
Just my look on things.
:p

ephv
June 26, 2002, 05:30
7.62FMJ-- Free enterprise and competition should solve your problem. Who cares what they charge? Buy them from some place else. Sounds like you are mad because you know their parts are good and you want to get them but they "charge too much." Buy the "cheap" stuff but remember you get what you pay for. Under our system of business, DSA will be bankrupt pretty soon if their prices don't match their quality.

Mad Dog 7.62
June 26, 2002, 05:52
I haven't used DSA H/T/S, but I have had no problems with the FSE and I've used quite a few sets. However, you can't compare DSA handguards to that cheesy TAPCO set....DSA are pretty good, still not as good as OEM. The Penguin premium ones are good too.....the new TAPCO charging handle is nice, and some of the new PG's are getting better....I think the quality of the US parts has improved a lot in the last year, and hopefully will continue to do so. We can hope the stupid parts count requirement goes away, but I wouldn't bank on it.

kotengu
June 26, 2002, 07:10
It's simple - because they CAN, and people still keep buying the stuff in droves. I think we need to send out one of those "gasoline" mass emails and coordinate one day in which no one buys anything from DSA - then of course the prices would drop 50% from their panic (or that's how it works in those silly emails anyway):D

I, too look for sources other than DSA just because I feel like I'm being gouged when I buy from them. FSE internals can't be beat, Dan@VOW has all sorts of cool stuff, and Gerald @ Penguin has furniture that is BETTER than the OEM stuff. Between these guys and TAPCO I haven't placed a DSA order in a looooong time.....

fubar
June 26, 2002, 07:59
You can buy a US made semi auto pistol grip with a selector stop from Dan Tobin for $10, nice quality too. Why pay for a semi auto selector switch @ $24 plus a US PG when one part does it all for $10?

avanarts
June 26, 2002, 09:15
I have to agree with TinMan99 on the selector issue and dealing with cops. I still get surprised at how little most LEO's seem to know about guns. It would be pretty easy for even a "good guy" cop to not understand when he see's that thing flip over into the FA position. I got the SA selector just to be safe.

Queenie
June 26, 2002, 10:50
I too used to think DSA was overpriced...and they are higher priced on some things. Whether its overpriced is up to the consumer to decide. HOWEVER after looking through thier prices on "used" replacement parts DSA is just as competetive as anyone else. I've bought several small parts from them (front sling swivel assemblies, carry handle assemblies, etc. The quality is top notch and the prices are the same +/- a buck or two as other vendors. Their "used" STG metal handguards for $20.00 are a real steal IMHO...at least the set I got were near perfect with NO scratches or dings and just a couple of very small places where the finish was worn. How about a refinished G1 kit for $175.00?? Whats wrong with that price? Would I pay 1200 bucks for one of their rifles? NO. Or $375+ (whatever discount price is) for a receiver? No way. Not while Imbel or FAC is still in business. Sure some things at DSA are expensive but don't forget to compare prices on other items they sell. They are still a top-notch company where quality and service is concerned.

ByronF
June 26, 2002, 11:02
Wasn't that long ago that DSA was the ONLY source for serviceable drop-in h/t/s sets. They were also the ONLY source for US made pistol grips and handguards that approximated original equipment. There was NO source for US buttstocks. They were the ONLY outfit with a piston close to being straight. Loose take-off barrels were hard to find. Their products were priced accordingly, and we couldn't get enough of it. I waited for several weeks for a $90 h/t/s set and was damned glad to get them. Century and Hesse were your other choices if reliability was not an issue.

You have to understand the context of the marketplace. Folks like Harold Shin, Dan@VOW, Moses, Gerald, Tapco, etc have changed the market. DSA has yet to adjust pricing, and I suspect they are perfectly pleased to earn their money on rifles instead of parts. I wish all of our vendors success, including DSA. We have choices now.

Byron

Coppertone
June 26, 2002, 13:23
...you get some dipshit cop examining your weapon...

If they're behind on their monthly quota, they are likely capable of saying the mechanism can still be switched to full auto.

Exactly which quota would that be, dipshit?

Queenie
June 26, 2002, 16:38
Ohhhhh......So that's why DSA sell some of their stuff at "Premium" prices. :D

FALPhil
June 26, 2002, 16:46
So, Tinman, if I understand you correctly, there are "official" quotas and "unofficial" quotas, right?

Sounds to me like we need to make some changes in motivations here.

Seth Livzz
June 26, 2002, 19:44
Just how in the hell did this topic turn into cop-bashing?

Tinman if you have a problem with Law Enforcement Officers then take your concerns to Dumping Brass.

I'd love to see some of your self-made statistics and delusional theories. That is of course unless you're not man enough.

TinMan99
June 27, 2002, 09:04
Oh... and one more thing. Kindly keep your remarks to debating the subject at hand. The juvenile personal statements are tantamount to chest thumping. If youre going to act like a chimp, youre to expect to be regarded as such.

TinMan99

Caspian
June 27, 2002, 10:07
how about if those who posted off topic delete their threads. they can begin their own thread on the topic they choose in DB (for which it was created).

we need to be respectful of others opinions and repsectful of those who initiated a thread for input.

regards,
caspian

andy@recycledelectrons.co
June 27, 2002, 11:09
As long as we are soooo on topic, bashing cops... Let's discuss Janet Reno's brilliant handling of Waco.

Personally, I think she personally made a few key decisions:

1. Shooting first at the Branch Dividians.

2. Making it widely known that the Govt. was lying to the Branch Davidians, and negotiating in poor faith, so that the Branch Davidians were unable to trust anyone, and preventing a speedy solution, and forcing a standoff.

3. Napalming the building.

4. Shooting the 50+ children who were trying to get out of the only non-bulldozed exit from the building.

Then again, maybe these were brilliant moves. She certainly got the budget increase she was looking for, and Clinton WAS reelected.

What do you think? Was Reno a genius?

Andy (sacrastically) Out.

Caspian
June 27, 2002, 11:22
i give up.:rolleyes:

BUFF
June 27, 2002, 11:55
So, we now know that DSA parts are expensive because some police departments enforce the law for financial benefits for themselves and because Janet Reno killed the Branch Davidians.

What a buch of wankers...

Coppertone
June 27, 2002, 13:18
No, the real conspiracy is the corrupt "IS professional" who writes crappy code so that the company needs to keep paying him to unscrew his deliberate errors! :D

"IS professionals" and Microsoft: follow the money! :D

And THAT'S why DSA's parts "cost so much"! :D

Wadman
June 27, 2002, 13:57
This thread is still going on? And with all this cop-bashing no less. It's really gone quite awry from the original subject and is probably headed for DB.

EMDII
June 27, 2002, 14:36
I've removed (split) TinMan's comments to another parallel universe.

Enough said. Topic is about DSA. Period.

FWRA
June 27, 2002, 14:40
Originally posted by BUFF
So, we now know that DSA parts are expensive because some police departments enforce the law for financial benefits for themselves and because Janet Reno killed the Branch Davidians.

What a buch of wankers...

Buff,
Now THAT was good!

Janet Reno, huh? Geeze.....how did she ever manage to hold a rifle steady? This conspiracy stuff is burning out my brain. Too much thinkin'! And the financial tie in to DSA's high prices....

I need another beer. Might lower my temperature a few degrees.

:D

FWRA

geerhed
June 27, 2002, 15:00
*grunts mightily while wrenching thread back on topic*

I think ByronF is right on target. I haven't purchased any DSA parts, regardless of their reputation for service and quality, because lower-priced alternatives were available. As the rising number of vendors increases the supply, market forces will require DSA to lower their prices or risk losing the majority of their market share. Their parts may still be somewhat more expensive than most (e.g., their receivers), but prices go down with increasing supply.

fry
June 27, 2002, 15:06
Compare a DSA G1 kit to ANY other..maybey it costs 6bucks more.
isn't the new furniture and cockingnob worth that? Take any other kit....is it not a full on BARGAIN to remove the Goo and re-park the entire kit for just $40!...Hello? Who els gives that up. One thing i've learned in this world is... You gererally GIT what you payed for!
fry-not a cop.

BUFF
June 27, 2002, 16:18
I imagine that DSA's prices are high on many of their U.S. made component parts because when they started to make and sell them, they had little competition, as others have posted.

Now, they are backlogged with orders for their completed rifles, which use many of these parts, so they no doubt don't feel pressed to lower the prices, they can just keep them in inventory until they need them for rifles.

I have bought some of their stuff, an assembled kit rifle, two Type II receivers, an aluminum lower, cocking handle assembly, top cover, trigger guard, pistol grip, gas piston, and such. They were all lovely and worth the price. It is acknowledged that the DSA upper receivers are the Cadillacs of the FAL market. Many items, like their muzzle brakes, are certainly competitive in price.

I have bought their surplus parts, refinished G-1 kit, a hooded rear sight assembly, used magazines, various small parts, and those prices were also competitive. Some things, like used magazines, were bargains.

Some items, like their stainles steel stuff, isn't made by anyone else. Buy DSA or do without.

Sometimes, the free market system takes a bit of time to react to the laws of supply and demand.

Other than waiting for a backordered item to get to DSA from their supplier, people usually get what they want from DSA pretty quick, with reasonable shipping charges. I have only ever had to wait for one receiver, othe stuff came rapidly.

I say, they charge what they do because, for the moment, they can.

Really, right now, the only items I see in DSA's catalog that I really think are priced excessively (meaning as good or better mechandise is available elsewhere, from other quality suppliers, for substantially lower price) are the hammer, sear and trigger sets.

Coppertone
June 27, 2002, 22:49
It all comes down to supply and demand. As long as people want DSA parts (for whatever reason), DSA can charge what the market will support. If/when they start losing sales to competitors, their prices will adjust. I suspect that most people buy DSA because they are the "safe bet": they have a reputation for having parts in the right specification. If you don't want to pay DSA's prices, the answer is simple: buy from someone else. Whining about prices on a forum is unlikely to prompt any business changes, since apparently DSA is getting the results they want with their current price structure. Personally, I think the prices for their smaller parts are generally quite in line with those of other suppliers.

Bullet
June 27, 2002, 23:50
DS Arms does have rent, employees saleries, insurance, attorney fees, etc. After considering their cost they probably aren't making very much profit off a H-T-S set. IMO there products aren't over priced. I consider their products "durable goods" and I believe that I'm getting use/utility for my money.

Consider the price for a case of 7.62x51 ammuntion. After its used, your not getting a very good return on your money, just temporary entertainment.

pb
June 28, 2002, 17:13
Maybe the owner wants a bigger boat.

colt88
June 28, 2002, 17:37
I've seen it before but can't seem to locate it now. I wan't to put the muzzle brake/weigh on a G-1 barrel & one of the new century inch receivers. colt88:?

Damn! this was susposed to be a new thread, hopefuly it will get moved