PDA

View Full Version : Imbel or Argentine barrel on a build?

TinMan99
June 25, 2002, 20:09
Hello. Time to build an Imbel grade 1 kit on a gear logo receiver, but a question is to be answered. The Imbel barrel is primo grade but does not have a bipod cut on the barrel. The rifle's handguards are bipod cut. I have a brand new Argentine barrel with a bipod cut and in equally perfect shape and I have an STG58 bipod to go with it. Now, I like the bipod look on a rifle but I'm not sure if putting a different barrel on the rifle makes a lot of sense. The Imbel kit is really sweet, all matching, flawless parts with immaculate original finish. I have the needed US parts on order and coming in. The Argentine barrel has the short gastube silver soldered in. I'm so completely evenly split on the virtues of one over the other, I'm looking for a fresh perspective from dedicated FAL collectors and builders. I know I can't have a pure pedigree Imbel due to the law, but I am doing all I can to make it look the part, even getting one of those fake Belgian muzzle attachments.

Is the bipod cut barrel correct for Imbel rifles? How about the short gastube? Any knowledgable feedback? I've built FAL's before and the ones I've built work very nicely and reliably. It's not a question of putting it together right, but putting it together with an eye to accuracy.

TinMan99

rob1
June 25, 2002, 20:42
some Imbel barrels are bipod cut, but I'm not aware of any that were actually fitted with a bipod. All the Imbels I have seen have had the full length gas tube, but there are many out there FAAAAAR more knowledgeable than me!
If you prefer the bipod, put in on there. As you mentioned, you cannot have a matching, correct rifle, so build it the way you want. I put a bipod on my grade 3, but it is also a 16 1/4" carbine with forward assist and para rear sights, so you can tell I'm not too concerned with correctness.

WJ-Polish Guy
June 25, 2002, 20:53
Gee.. If you have primo kit, why not to build it into rifle in Imbel receiver? Why to build a mutt with Argy barrel instead?

Save Argy piece for next build, do not kid yourself, sooner or later there will be next one...

rob1
June 25, 2002, 22:04
Thats a good point as well. Build your Imbel as correct as you can, and get another kit if you really like the bipod. IMO, the ONLY difference in grades on Dan's Imbel kits is external finish, so you could spend less money and still have one with all the features you want.

7.62FMJ
June 26, 2002, 00:54
Your barrel does not have to be bi-pod cut to work with the bi-pod. The problem that you would have is that there would be no sling attachment. This can be solved by drilling and tapping the lower ring on the bi-pod then screwing on an FN sling swivel or the like. I did this with an Imbel rifle that I had that was not Bi-Pod cut on the barrel. In order to fit the bi-pod you have to make some minor adjustments on the bi-pod itself with a dremel- but very minor if at all.

TinMan99
June 26, 2002, 07:59
Hmmm. All good points. I am now leaning to putting the Imbel barrel on the rifle. The Argentine barrel could be used for a FrankenFAL project in the future. Build a fantasy FAL. A blend of the very best of all FAL features. Argentine chromed barrel, STG bipod, Israeli LB handguards, L1A1 carry handle and bolt carrier, metric bolt w/ 2 piece firing pin, humpback stock, cleaning kit pistol grip, folding charger handle, L1A1 mag release, DSA STG58 Muzzle Brake... DSA type 2 metric receiver. Ooooooh! Froggy time! :) It's alive! IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE!!! :D

TinMan99