PDA

View Full Version : Legal??

epcven
June 25, 2002, 18:57
I am sure this has been answered before but I can't find it so apologies in advance.

Assuming I have an American made (non-import) receiver built with the correct amount of USA parts to make it legal can I.....

Attach a thumbhole stock and have a permanently attached flash hider?

If not how does springfield do it?

I hate the muzzlebreaks but not enough get married in club fed.

billiboy
June 25, 2002, 19:04
muzzle brake soldered on. not flash hider , no bayonet lug,
at least 7 us parts no more than 10 imported , the thumbhole stock gets rid of pistol grip, sounds good to go.
personally is the flash hider worth it, theres some good looking brakes out there.
What appear to be flash hiders are sometimes batf approved brakes.

The general answer I get when talking to owners is the fal,s are more accurate w/o any muzzle device, just a good crown.

just trying to keep the look or planning some night fighting??

Michael64
June 25, 2002, 19:22
Thumbhole stock = yes
Flash hider = no

You may not but a flash hider on any postban semi auto rifle, permenently attached or not.

epcven
June 25, 2002, 20:09
How does Springfield (current production not pre-ban) get away with it. Their M1 has a flashider and it seems to me that the only difference in the two (m1 vs fal) is the stock.

Not being argumentative just trying to see what I have missed.

Circuits
June 25, 2002, 20:37
The part he left out was "not on a semi auto with a detachable magazine and a pistol grip". The M1A has no pistol grip, so is allowed the flash suppressor/threads as its one evil feature.

Remove the pistol grip and you can add any ONE evil feature.

Make the magazine non-detachable, and you can have any and all of the evil features (state laws vary, like Kalifornistan)

rob1
June 25, 2002, 20:47
Originally posted by Circuits

Make the magazine non-detachable, and you can have any and all of the evil features (state laws vary, like Kalifornistan)

I guess the one bright spot here is that if you go that route, you can get a stripper-clip guide top cover and load via strippers. Wouldn't be that bad, just depends on how bad you want a flash suppressor. There are many brakes out there that are very near in appearance to a true suppressor, but hey, if thats what you want, go for it.

withergyld
June 25, 2002, 21:04
ATF has ruled that a thumbhole stock is a pistol grip:rolleyes:
So adding the butthole stock will not allow the flashider. The easy way to think about your parts count it to start at 17 imprted parts (with muzzle brake) or 16 parts (nekkid barrel) and count the foreign parts removed. The number of foreign parts needs to be 10 or less. In this way a thumbhole stock counts as two parts (foreign butt stock and pistol grip removed)

epcven
June 25, 2002, 21:19
All is clear now. I didn't realize that the ATF had rained on my stock parade.

That sooks big donkey balls.

rob1
June 25, 2002, 22:01
that's a well known fact!!:D

7.62FMJ
June 26, 2002, 01:16
You could have your flash hider sleeved on the inside or the ports drilled at a 90 degree angle.