PDA

View Full Version : Hesse receivers?

billiboy
June 25, 2002, 18:18
anybody have any experience with hesse receivers, the price seems too good to be true for a type 3 metric.
190$ for S.Steel :eek:

TinMan99
June 25, 2002, 19:26
Hesse Receivers are of dubious quality, from all the reading on the subject available. I would recommend you read GunPlumber's review and technical treatise found at www.arizonaresponsesystems.com . I suggest you obtain a true Imbel or DSA receiver. They are both still available. Obtain a copy of Shotgun News from your local magazine and book store to find dealers currently stocking these items.

TinMan99

3doghouse
June 25, 2002, 20:16
You get what you pay for.

Pyropuppy
June 25, 2002, 20:22
block of steel + hammer + crude chisel = hesse = you:(

W.E.G.
June 25, 2002, 21:00
Hesse stuff is notorious.

Save yourself a lot of headache and disappointment. Buy an IMBEL.

Guaran-dam-teed, somebody will reply with gushing remarks about how their wonderful Hesse gun just works fine. Indeed, I can testify, they do exist. But, the likelihood of a regular guy satisfactorily building one from scratch by pulling one out of the dumpster, or wherever those receivers come from, is slim.

Vanden Berg
June 26, 2002, 10:10
I must agree with His Majesty, The King of Dremel.

Hesse receivers can be made to function reliably and occassionally people do get one that is actually in-spec. It has been my observation (and unfortunately my experience TOO MANY TIMES) that the vast majority of Hesse FAL receivers are out of spec to the point that they represent a challenge far beyond a standard "armorer's build".

Unless you value your time at about a dollar an hour and have access to a well-equipped machine shop, I'd strongly recommend an Imbel or a DSA. Either would be worlds better than the Hesse.

frtyfivsevnty
June 26, 2002, 10:34
RUN I repeat RUN don't walk from Hesse.I just sent one back,rear locking lug oversized,dust cover slots oversized(cover rattled like a wind chime),barrel hand timed to 1o'clock,finish was see through,light casting voids.I figured I'd use one of these for my first build since it was cheap and if I screwed it up it would be no loss.Come to find out they come pre screwed up!I have two Imbels sitting in the box,when I get my money back from the POS Hesse(not a coincidence it rhymes)I'll be buying another Imbel or FAC/Coonan.All the bad reviews you see are typical of Hesse.All of their products seem to be substandard.Worst of all they charge you a restocking fee of 12% to return their junk out of spec garbage. :mad:

Jeffrey K Hampshire
June 26, 2002, 10:56
Okay Gary, here you go:D

As far as Hesse is concerned it is indeed a crapshoot, this is my experience, you will have to decide if you want to gamble.

I have done 3 Hesse build to date.

1. new receiver purchased from FAC marked as assembled by CAI (same receivers they use on there production guns, wasnt supposed to get one marked like this,although if I had issues with it I could always blame Century's "assembly":rolleyes: )
Build went together with only one issue, the hole for the mag release pivot screw was off a few thousandths, minor work of about 10 seconds with a dremel rectified that issue. Gun has function well except for problems associated with a junk mag, just put a 16" tube on it and it still runs fine. That was a luckey strike.

2. receiver again purchased from FAC, this one had a beautiful deep black smooth parked finish, unreal for the price and matched the finish on the unissued Aussie L1A1 kit to a tee.
Looks can be decieving:eek: , the build went okay (same issue with screw hole but no mod needed with inch mag release) and the gun looked great, the project went down hill from there:(
After numerous hours (more like days) of diagnosing and dremeling (yahoo) I finally got it to run like a champ, turned out the hole for the barrel was off centered and it took a lot of grinding to get the bolt to line up. NOT a luckey strike, however with Hesse's worthless guarantee I had no choice but to play with it after having assembled it (keep that in mind, once youve built on it your guarantee is basically crap).

3. same receiver from FAC, great finish like number 2, went together like number 1 and functioned like a champ from square one, only issue is the hole for the mag release screw (must be someone used there calibrated eye when they set up the CNC:rolleyes: ).

So there you have it, 2 out of 3. Not the best odds but certainly not the worst, especially if you want to build cheap and learn on something that wont cost a paycheck and make your kids go hungry for the week (food doesnt last long in my house with 4 kids:( )

LarryR
June 26, 2002, 12:48
If you just want a functional rifle, don't build on a Hesse receiver. In fact, I'd advise you to buy a finished rifle instead of building up a kit on any receiver. OTOH, if you're good with your hands and want a project (in addition to a rifle), a Hesse might work out OK. Do a search and read the experiences others have had, then decide for yourself if you want to get in that deep. Here's my experience. http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16861

Here's the rifle after I "aged" the receiver to match the battle-veteran look of this R1.

FALPhil
June 26, 2002, 16:51
I built on a stainless Hesse. The only problem I had with it was the BHO not functioning. Closer examination indicated that the ejector block had monkeyed with. A little filing fixed that problem right up. To me, that is no more a problem than the rails under the gear logo being mashed out-of-spec on an Imbel.

mountain man
June 26, 2002, 18:25
My Hesse was perfect. 2 hours to build the rifle from start to finish (less disassembly and cleaning), no dremel needed.
www.coloradoradio.com/engineer/gun.jpg
:D

DougW
June 26, 2002, 22:58
Remember that there is NO warranty on a Hesse reciever. I have a new AR15 reciever that failed (read broke in two) after 2 rounds of .223. Piece of junk now, but, boy it sure looks pretty!:mad: