PDA

View Full Version : front sight post: wich is wich?

JAVIER
June 25, 2002, 10:43
Hello: Is me again. I will like to know what is the difference en
beetwen the argentinian, belgium,brazilian and austrian front sight post. I do have a few and I can not tell wich is wich. this is all the info I have:
1-the one out the G1 from DSA has the numbers: 0,5,10 and 15 and in between the 0 and the 5 there is a couple of receded round small holes. ( note: this is not the holes for the tool, this holes have some paint one them just like the numbers)
2-I got a G1 kit from tapco and this sight has the same holes that I mentioned above but this one has two sets instead of one; the other set is right across between the 10 and the 15 numbers.
all my stg-58 front sights are like # 1 above.
can you please show me how to identified the sights from the 4 different countries? thank you for your time. best regards,
javier :)

Michael64
June 25, 2002, 15:55
The receeded holes/dimples that you are referring to are to not the height of the site post not the manufacturer.

The first one that you mentioned is a #2 and the other one is a #4. Believe it goes from shortest to tallest 0 (unmarked) to 4.

Don't believe they were marked as to country of origin as these are all metric FALs.

JAVIER
June 26, 2002, 04:26
thanks michael64 for the info. so there is no way to tell them apart. I was under the impresion because the DSA sight tool said that it will fit some brazilian, argentine and steyr and the two size holes. so some sights has different size holes? pardon me, but still confused.....

Mr pogo
June 26, 2002, 06:52
There are two types of metric front sight posts usually seen, type B (early) and type C (late)
What you have is a type C, made for metric closed ear front sights. As mentioned previously the dots refer to post height.
0 dot = 3.00 mm height
1 dot = 3.65 mm
2 dot = 4.30 mm
3 dot = 4.95 mm
4 dot = 5.60 mm
Basically, if your metric Fal is closed ear it takes this type of sight post. Steyrs, G1s and Brazilian are all closed ear front sights.

Some variants use the older type B sight post. All Israeli, and Argentine that have open ear front sights use the early type B sight post. Different tool is used to turn the sight post, the tool fits over the square base of the sight post. No dots, Israelis at least are numbered as to height. Also different retaining washer under sight post, no spring is used.

A couple different height Izzy sight posts for comparison.

L/FN
June 26, 2002, 09:19
There is also a difference between the 2 holes for the sight adjustment tool pegs on some front sights.
I know commercial Belgian and Brazilian sight adjustment holes are larger and spaced a little farther apart than the Stg & G1 sight post.

Thats why DSA's sight tool has two (2) adjustment ends.

Larry:)

JAVIER
June 26, 2002, 11:32
Hello Mr. Pogo and Larry: thanks for the wonderful info, now I get a better Idea of the wide types of sights.
Larry: how are you doing buddy????? ;)