PDA

View Full Version : What changed ???

Alan S. Gemson
June 24, 2002, 16:22
My friend shot his new Century L1A1 last week. Worked GREAT with Port. ammo. He took it home and cleaned it and this weekend it simply will not cycle except manually. Gas plug is in right and extractor and ejector work fine manually. I can't believe a thorough cleaning caused this. Same ammo. same mags, same gas setting etc etc. Could this be the symptom of a bent rod or ???? When I watch him shhot it - the bolt comes back partially ( if at all ) and closes. It will then click on the previously fired case so the hammer is re-cocking.

Goderator
June 24, 2002, 18:15
The Suggestions and Technical Support forum is for Suggestions or Technical Problems with the Site or Forums and not for diagnosing the problems with your FAL or other firearms. As such this thread has been moved to the appropriate forum: Gunsmithing

As to your problem, double check the Gas Piston, make sure it is not bent and make certain that the gas setting did not change and/or that the gas adjustment ring is not damaged / cracked.

withergyld
June 24, 2002, 20:14
Also check the gas port to make sure it did not get fouled during cleaning.
Did you friend oil the gas piston/cylinder, this should be left dry or LIGHTLY oiled and wiped off before firing.
What setting is the gas regulator set on?
Did it get changed during cleaning?

June 24, 2002, 21:37
Did he remove the gas tube and forget to take out the little pin thus hosing the threads. Or did he remove the pin but forget to put it back in. Either will cause a major gas leak.

Since it is a century check the gas piston by rolling on a smooth surface to make sure it is not bent. My century gas piston lasted exactly 40 rounds.

Alan S. Gemson
June 25, 2002, 08:55
First: Thanks for your replies and help. We learned more about this problem last evening. It seems that the problem may not be related to any cleaning but simply the magazine. It worked fine with mag "A". He received some used $5 mags which did not all work as good as "A". So he took them all apart, cleaned them and "RE-RETENSIONED" all the springs by stretching them. I am wondering if his entire problem is simply that there is so much upward pressure on the follower that the rearward motion of the bolt is being impeded. We cycled manually some cartridges and found that the top round in the mag ( after the bolt travels backward over it ) is VERY VERY scuffed from the bolt. Possible I guess but us three rocket scientists are going to see if it fires, extracts, ejects, re-cocks etc with no mag and then with the "A" mag if he can identify it among all the others. Maybe the biggest problem has the simplest answer.More to follow and THANKS