PDA

View Full Version : Buttstock removal tool

J MOSBY
June 24, 2002, 14:19
What is the easiest to get tool for removing the buttstock and pistol grip on my DSA STG?

Texas Jack
June 24, 2002, 14:27
I have one that I purchased from TAPCO - is just a t-handle with a screw-driver tip of correct size with a rod that screws into the center of the "screwdriver" end that holds the spring in line when removing or re-installing. And while you are ordering this tool, you can get something else that you "need" frome them :D

Arby
June 24, 2002, 15:05
I bought one from DSA some time back, and the rod doesn't unscrew allowing the T-handle to be used as a nutdriver for the pistol grip nut.

If I had to buy another one, I would go with Tapco on the basis the versality of dual function. I made a nutdriver for the pistol grip nut, but I would prefer having one tool to do 2 jobs.

DSA may or may not have changed the design since I bought mine, I don't know. Their quality is generally excellent, IMHO.

Either way, DSA or Tapco, the tool really makes your life so much simpler and less dangerous when it comes to stock removal.

J MOSBY
June 24, 2002, 15:37
Thanks Guys, on the way from Tapco, the the shipping cost more than the tool.

Texas Jack
June 24, 2002, 20:24
Ah, so there is a logical reason to buy more goodies ;)

joanroco
June 24, 2002, 20:35
The first couple of times I removed the buttstock and pistol grip I let it sit for a few hours with penetrating oil and used a pair of large screw drivers set side by side and rotated them together.

This worked without much trouble at all.

(I eventually ended up making a simple buttstock removal tool by filing down an s2s wrench and sticking on a handle. You could also probably make one by filing down a flat speedbore drill bit - the kind used for drilling 3/4 holes in wood)

skfullgun
June 24, 2002, 22:38
The $6.99 Tapco tool is well worth the money. Like you said...the freight costs more than the part. Order something else with it to justify the shipping!:D

m1shooter
June 24, 2002, 23:17
don';t forget the extractor tool. front sight tool, extra G1 front end, etc. etc. etc. :rolleyes:

Adventurer_96
June 25, 2002, 00:38
I was unable to budge the nut in the buttstock with a 3/8 inch screwdriver, but the TAPCO tool took it apart immediately.