View Full Version : Buttstock removal tool

June 24, 2002, 14:19
What is the easiest to get tool for removing the buttstock and pistol grip on my DSA STG?

Texas Jack
June 24, 2002, 14:27
I have one that I purchased from TAPCO - is just a t-handle with a screw-driver tip of correct size with a rod that screws into the center of the "screwdriver" end that holds the spring in line when removing or re-installing. And while you are ordering this tool, you can get something else that you "need" frome them :D

June 24, 2002, 15:05
I bought one from DSA some time back, and the rod doesn't unscrew allowing the T-handle to be used as a nutdriver for the pistol grip nut.

If I had to buy another one, I would go with Tapco on the basis the versality of dual function. I made a nutdriver for the pistol grip nut, but I would prefer having one tool to do 2 jobs.

DSA may or may not have changed the design since I bought mine, I don't know. Their quality is generally excellent, IMHO.

Either way, DSA or Tapco, the tool really makes your life so much simpler and less dangerous when it comes to stock removal.

June 24, 2002, 15:37
Thanks Guys, on the way from Tapco, the the shipping cost more than the tool.

Texas Jack
June 24, 2002, 20:24
Ah, so there is a logical reason to buy more goodies ;)

June 24, 2002, 20:35
The first couple of times I removed the buttstock and pistol grip I let it sit for a few hours with penetrating oil and used a pair of large screw drivers set side by side and rotated them together.

This worked without much trouble at all.

(I eventually ended up making a simple buttstock removal tool by filing down an s2s wrench and sticking on a handle. You could also probably make one by filing down a flat speedbore drill bit - the kind used for drilling 3/4 holes in wood)

June 24, 2002, 22:38
The $6.99 Tapco tool is well worth the money. Like you said...the freight costs more than the part. Order something else with it to justify the shipping!:D

June 24, 2002, 23:17
don';t forget the extractor tool. front sight tool, extra G1 front end, etc. etc. etc. :rolleyes:

June 25, 2002, 00:38
I was unable to budge the nut in the buttstock with a 3/8 inch screwdriver, but the TAPCO tool took it apart immediately.