http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b2d803b3127cce9e20c44ec85d0000003410

The buttstock: DSA X-stock
pistol grip: Ergo G3
handguard: DSA "metal end" polymer
muzzle break: DSA QD

bipod is stg from TAPCO

Adventurer_96
June 25, 2002, 00:49
That's a great looking rifle! I've always been partial to the X-stock since I first began to get smart about FALs, and the bipod gives a great appearance to the rifle.

How do you like the muzzle device at the range?

GWC3
June 25, 2002, 10:54
great looking piece! BTW, how much lighter is the x-stock than say a penguin synthetic, or a real wood stock? and how are the handgurads for handling heat build up from firing?

JF
June 26, 2002, 00:25
Hey Texas Jack,,,nice rifle! I've got a question though. On your X-stock did you find that the buttstock rubber pad didn't quite mate up to the buttstock? I've got a 1/4 inch lip protruding something fierce on mine. Please let me know because if mine is some kind of freak occurance then I'll just get another one.

Thanks,

JF

Chainsaw
June 26, 2002, 02:49
I have 2 X-stock rifles, a complete set on my STG 58 and the butt stock on my CAI STG 58. I like them and they are HD stuff. Very nice rifle, Texas Jack.
JF: both of my stocks at the pad have just a slight lip at the pad.
RM

JF
June 26, 2002, 08:45
Hmmm.... Thanks Chainsaw... I was wondering if that was a typical flaw... Sometimes I understand that there is an acceptable amount of error versus cost in the manufacture of some products, I'll hold off on ordering a new one.

Texas Jack
June 26, 2002, 15:32
Thanks y'all - here are replies in order:

Adventure_96 - muzzle break works great! point of impact moved about 12" up after install - you do need to "dimple" the barrel in order to keep this puppy from shooting off the end - trust me I know from experience :eek: I didn't really notice any apreciable noise increase but it may be a little louder.

GWC3 - the stock is actually pretty solid - not hollow. I haven't had the pleasure of hefting a wood or penguin stock, but this one is heavier and sturdier than the one that came on the gun from SOG. Handguards work very well - I shot some rapid fire stings last week and had the barrel smokin! Guards were cool - no problem there.

JF - my stock also overrides the buttpad a little (1/16") at the top. Doesn't bother me, but I did think about taking the stock down to meet it - but then I would have to paint it and I don't want to at this time.

I have to say that I wasn't sure about the looks of the x-stock at first - but it grows on you. I did like the fit and the ability to back up a little on the stock and lower the cheek weld - is nice when you are shooting a lot from prone - keeps my face from getting beat-up.

One thing that I really didn't like about this buttstock was the provision for a sling - the velcro/polymer d-ring that DSA provides is really cheesy - I bought a sling swivel from TAPCO and removed the base leaving a pin with a hole through it and installed this in the left side near the receiver - worked great! I also installed the handguard side sling swivel from DSA for the front, as the pibod displaced the "stock" barrel swivel.

The G-3 pistol grip fits my medium sized hands better than the stock grip and allows me to lift my thumb up to disengage the safty without taking my hand off of the grip. Also like the slight finger grooves.

I don't intend to do anything else to this rifle - other than perhaps sand all the furniture down (mold lines) and apply trunk paint to create a more uniform furniture color. All peices are black - but not the same surface texture...