PDA

View Full Version : W OT Night vision Goggles

madecov
June 24, 2002, 12:29
I am a police officer by day/night
I have a need to get some goggles, sometimes I drive very dark unlit roads and would love to turn off the headlights ;)

othertimes I need to do building entry and the buildinsa are pitch balck and a flashlight is a dead giveaway.

I alo have to foot patrol certain very dark areas and again a flashlight would be a dead giveaway.

I am considering a set of the Russian goggles ( gen 1 ) as that's about all I can afford, I have also considered a set from ATN.

My questions are

1) are the gen 1 units really as bad as everyone seems to say
2) can the IR illuminators be used through a windshield ?

My basic distances in a building would be no more tha 50 feet.
outdoors I would doubt I need more than about 50 yds.

Will the IR illuminators work if there is little or no moon light ? the areas I patrol get really really dark when the moon isn't full ( very rural )

I tried to post the question on the night vision discussion board but for some reason my browser won't allow posts there.

All help appreciated.

Adventurer_96
June 25, 2002, 00:13
In my opinion, Gen 1 really stinks, but that's because I'm used to using Gen 3+ stuff. It depends on the use, Gen 1 would give a basic outline of the area, but for the price of US Gen 1 stuff you may be able to find former Soviet Gen 2 or Gen 3.

Don't waste your hardearned $$ on a cheap set, hold out if you really want something worthwhile.

old goofy dude
June 25, 2002, 03:27
I've a set of PVN-5B goggles that I've played with for the last ten years or so. They are Desert Storm era US Gen 2 surplus. They do not magnify so the view is the same as your eye sight.

Be aware that you loose your periphrial vision while wearing gogles.

I concur that you should save your money. Anything less than US Gen 2 will be a disappointment in my opinion. Especially if you plan on using them on the job.

You can buy cheaper stuff but at what cost? You may miss something critical with less expensive gear that could cause a lot of problems.

IR illuminators do help when there is limited starlight. There are IR filters available for the AA Minimag and IR LED flashlights.

Go to eBay and punch in a search for "night vision" and infra-red. There's some neat stuff there plus some vendors who may a bargin.

Also do a net search for "night vision". You can learn a lot by visiting the sites.

Well, it's late and my meds are starting to kick in. Hope this helps!

Grunt
June 25, 2002, 03:48
Everyone that owns Gen 3 says the gen one stuff is worthless but if you cant afford it you cant afford it . A cheap set in your car is worth a whole lot more than a Wonderful Gen 3 unit sitting on the store shelf. There is a Night Vision Forum that can answer all your questions.

Night Vision Forum (http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/133782)

Adventurer_96
June 25, 2002, 15:04
In rereading my post, it may come across a bit like a "know-it-all." So, just to clarify, I don't pay for my night vision (it's part of the job) so I guess it's easy for me to say wait for something better, and more expensive.

What I did want to convey is that there is a significant difference between even Gen 1 Sportsmans Guide monocular versus some former Soviet stuff which is quite capable, and cheap.

There's an outfit near me which sells stuff from all over Eastern Europe, I think they're at www.nightvisionweb.com and they show up at the gunshows. They might have some more insight.

Good luck.

madecov
June 25, 2002, 16:57
I've spoken to the owner of nite vison online ( US Night Vision ) . He offers a Police discount and has some stuff made for him in former Soviet shops to his specs ( so he says)

Since I'm also an FFL dealer I can open an account with him and get dealer prices ( I sell "stuff" to other officers mostly) he says I can get an IR filter for the patrol car spotlight and that he has some stuff that is a cut above the commercial offerings on the web but at dealer price it would run about the same price as the commercial Russian stuff.

After reading a lot of posts I'm leary of the Russian gen1 units but there is noway I can spend the money on a US gen3.

I guess I'll have to keep studying and studyin then make a decision.

halfcocked
June 25, 2002, 16:58
I personally don't have experience with the goggles (I only have a cheap set of Russian Gen 1 monoculars), but my friend had a set. They were also Gen 1 Russian goggles with the head gear for about $500. He did try to drive with them on a dirt road out the woods and he was very dissappointed with them. I don't rememer what the exact reason was, but he couldn't see well enough to drive.