PDA

View Full Version : metric/inch bolt/carrier interchange ??

kendwell
June 24, 2002, 11:23
Anyone got wesog experience with metric vs inch bolt and/or
carrier interchange questions? I fancy replacing the set on
a DSA type 1 receiver to sand cut inch carrier (with or without
the inch bolt ??)

Z28-427
June 24, 2002, 11:34
Yes, I called DSA and they told me the bolt and bolt carrier are interchangeable, inch to metric, or the other way. The internals to the bolts are not interchangeable.

W.E.G.
June 24, 2002, 11:37
Swapping the carrier is no problem.

Swapping the bolt is probably no problem. But, anytime you swap bolts on any rifle, you should re-check headspace.

kendwell
June 24, 2002, 12:13
Thanks, guys. Guess I'll buy the used inch bolt/carrier from Tapco
for 19.95 rather than the metric at 39.95. For spares.

TinMan99
June 24, 2002, 12:56
So, you can take an inch bolt carrier with sand cuts and put it in a metric rifle using the metric bolt without issue? This is of interest since I am building a 'fantasy' FAL. A rifle that incorporates all the best features of the various FAL rifles out there. FrankenFAL is another word for it. But ths sand relief cut bolt carrier was on the list of considerations. Anyone with knowledgable information on this?

TinMan99

EMDII
June 24, 2002, 15:01
Here ya go:

- Israeli FALO-C HB started having FTE.
- Has old type 1 extractor on FN-built Metric B/BC

- Cleared & pulled gun down, removed B/BC entirely.
- Reached into spares bix, and grabbed (previously measured for length) B/BC made in England, sand cuts and all
- Reassembled, function tested, locked and loaded, and fired 200+ rounds w/o any failures.

Trick is measuring the distance from the locking ledge on the bolt to the bolt face. As long as your staying properly long to make headspace, VOILA!

W.E.G.
June 24, 2002, 15:18
Originally posted by TinMan99
So, you can take an inch bolt carrier with sand cuts and put it in a metric rifle using the metric bolt without issue?...

YES.

Falfegnügen
June 24, 2002, 21:14
Originally posted by TinMan99
So, you can take an inch bolt carrier with sand cuts and put it in a metric rifle using the metric bolt without issue?
TinMan99

Yes, Except....well the Indian Bolt/Bolt carrier.

Be careful. The Indian 1A-SL uses a Single-cam bolt and carrier. All other FALs use a Double-cam Bolt/Bolt carrier. The Indian Bolt and carrier look just about like regular L1A1 parts, hard chromed and all. But they are NOT the same. As a pair, no problem to interchange. But you're asking for trouble if you mix them.

Always check your head space, and don't lose your head;)