PDA

View Full Version : Vanden Berg A2 Rear Sights for the FAL

Jen
June 24, 2002, 01:48
http://www.falfiles.com/vendors/vandenberg/sight_1.gifhttp://www.falfiles.com/vendors/vandenberg/sight_2.gifhttp://www.falfiles.com/vendors/vandenberg/sight_3.gif

For your viewing pleasure..

This is what the Vanden Berg A2 FAL rear sight looks like.

ricochet
June 24, 2002, 06:21
Oh no!
A heck of a good idea. What is the price? And, why didn't FN do something like that? I like it!

Pyropuppy
June 24, 2002, 07:38
Ok no fair !!!
ware do I get one?:D

Jen
June 24, 2002, 10:56
http://www.vandenbergcustom.com/

GWC3
June 24, 2002, 11:39
Can I assume it fits right in the existing dovetail like the VOW A2 (ie, no machining required?). Anyone have any installing and zeroing experience with it yet?

kotengu
June 24, 2002, 12:39
I just got one of these and I've got to say I'm really impressed with it so far. The clicks are extremely crisp and easy to feel. It looks to be an actual A2 sight milled flat on the bottom and welded to a FAL sight base milled flat at the top, so drop in fit is easy to do. I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet, but I'll report when I do - I don't see any reason that it won't zero easily and hold that zero.

Wadman
June 24, 2002, 12:50
How much is it?

BUFF
June 24, 2002, 14:39
Yeah, his web site doesn't have a price.

Vanden Berg
June 24, 2002, 14:48
Thanks for the interest guys. The A-2 rear sight cost is $129.95+shipping (UPS from Houston). I also offer the option of making the sight from your parts (AR A-2 rear sight assembly and FAL rear sight base), cost $60+shipping.

m1shooter
June 24, 2002, 16:52
I just got one.
quality seems very good... I haven't installed yet but probably on the one Im building now.
Mine came from DSA and Dan at VOW

m1shooter
June 24, 2002, 17:20
here's my pics

m1shooter
June 24, 2002, 17:22
one more,
I took 4 if you want them emailed 640x480 let me know

Pyropuppy
June 24, 2002, 18:09
m1shooter did you get your .pdf file ok?

m1shooter
June 24, 2002, 18:27
Yes I did ,
Thank you

7.62FMJ
June 24, 2002, 19:42
Elevation? Don't look like it. Plus the holes are the peep holes are the same size as the AR15 holes- to big. Hell with the peep diameter that large you almost don't need a rear sight. Not impressed it fixes zero of the problems that rear sight on the FAL is plagued with. Perhaps with some improvements it could be made to work for accuracy instead of just cosmetic reasons. :rolleyes:

Mosin Guy
June 24, 2002, 20:27
The thing thats good about these AR style rear sights for the FAL is that there are quite a few choices for available apertures that fit the rear AR sight bases,Bushmaster offers numerous apertures including a Hooded model with screw in aperture disc to change the size of the rear sight hole,they also offer a Trijion model to fit the AR style sights.HTH

m1shooter
June 24, 2002, 20:31
According to Dan at VOW, the two peeps are at different elev.'s
giving you 2 zero's.
have'nt tried it yet. but I am willing to give ita shot.

Upside Down @ 100 MPH
June 24, 2002, 20:40
Originally posted by 7.62FMJ
Not impressed it fixes zero of the problems that rear sight on the FAL is plagued with. Perhaps with some improvements it could be made to work for accuracy instead of just cosmetic reasons. :rolleyes:

Well.....if you consider having to reach for a screwdriver EVERY time you want to adjust the windage a non-issue........then I gues it doesn't fix anything.

Advantages:
1. can adjust windage with twist of a knob
2. lots of possibilities for apertures
a. ghost ring+standard aperture
b. two apertures each zeroed for a different yardage
c. Bob Jones lens type aperture for the age impaired

What's not to like? Huh? I'm sure you have a better idea...so let's see it smartass.

Oh...what?....you haven't made anything better...I thought so.

Ask4id
June 24, 2002, 21:19
Originally posted by Upside Down @ 100 MPH

Well.....if you consider having to reach for a screwdriver EVERY time you want to adjust the windage a non-issue........then I gues it doesn't fix anything.

Advantages:
1. can adjust windage with twist of a knob
2. lots of possibilities for apertures
a. ghost ring+standard aperture
b. two apertures each zeroed for a different yardage
c. Bob Jones lens type aperture for the age impaired

What's not to like? Huh? I'm sure you have a better idea...so let's see it smartass.

Oh...what?....you haven't made anything better...I thought so.

A ghost ring and then a tiny "match" hole would be ideal. I would buy one like that ASAP. Can we loctite the assembly in place after it is slid in?

m1shooter
June 24, 2002, 21:27
It locks in with the original set screws for the old sight.

Dan at VOW
June 24, 2002, 21:31
Hey Guys, I don't want to confuse the issue here, but the photos that M1A shooter posted are not of Vanden Bergs A2 rear sight. Don't knock his stuff until you have tried it, first class stuff. The apertures in M1Ashooter's pictures are the A1 style that DSA requested I install in the sights they carry from me.

Mods, feel free to delete this if needed, no harm, no foul. Dan.

Mosin Guy
June 24, 2002, 21:32
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/dcm/

Bruce Allen
June 24, 2002, 23:04
Oh my that looks good....I don't think I can resist this one..

http://www.vandenbergcustom.com/Content/Rifles/Rifle9.jpg

Vanden Berg
June 25, 2002, 09:16
Dan, Thanks for clearing up that little bit of confusion.

7.62FMJ, The larger of the two apartures on an A-2 rear is really nice in low light conditions. Please take a look at one when you have a chance. The older my eyes get, the more light I seem to require to shoot open sights accurately.

One other advantage that has not been pointed out here is that my A-2 rear sight assembly does not rattle around like a loose tooth the way the OE rear sight does. For every 0.006" movement in the rear sight the rifle's point of impact moves one MOA (approx. 1" per 100yards).

IMHO that is where a lot of the accuracy is given up on an FAL.