PDA

View Full Version : Rear Sight improvement idea.

7.62FMJ
June 24, 2002, 01:28
Just thinking after looking at various BDC type scope why not have a BDC/Rangefinder rear sight on the FAL. Really would be quite easy mainly to make the peep hole much smaller.
At each of the distances- say an 18" target would fit inside the peep hole. Then as you move the sight farther from you say from 200 to the 400 spot- the hole looks smaller. This would be your BDC and range finder.
The hole decreases in visual size but in order to work properly the sight would have to be adjustable for each person for depth. This way you could adjust for your individual needs for the distances. The rear sight would have two sliding adjustments one is for fine tuning the peep hole depth to just the right size so that an 18" target at 200 yards would be just right. Once you have that fine tuned- the 200,400, and 600 yard increments would all be dead on for the 18" target.
Look at your FAL rear sight- then push it foward to the next position and noticably the hole gets smaller. If we could make the hole perfectly sized so that an 18" target would fit exactly in that hole at 200 yards then it would work for the next increments.
Maybe I lost you guys on this but it would be the best sight improvement for the FAL without new tooling except a new finely adjustable depth base, and a smaller peep hole.

What do you all think?

hockeyfan_019
June 24, 2002, 07:56
Hi FMJ,

Your rear site revision idea should work well, if you plan on having a "match site" idea... These sights were designed with military intent, therefore width of "field of vision" is very important. You don't want a military weapon where the enemy can simply sidestep 18" at 200m and disappear from your view!

IMHO, if you want match site quality, you should just step up to a high-quality site that has much greater stability than the FAL push-button slide detail provides anyway... If you want a battle proven site that IS capable of tracking moving targets at long range, AND gives you the opportunity to pick them off fairly consistently, stick with the current design.

Good luck with whatever direction you go. HTH

W.E.G.
June 24, 2002, 08:05
I want one of these:
http://www.guntech.com/fn/prod_small.jpg

See http://www.guntech.com/fn/sight3.html

7.62FMJ
June 24, 2002, 19:57
I like the design except that it eliminates the slide elevation adjustment. I figure something along the lines of that but also having the slide elevation so that you could use the peep hole as your range finder. Set the hole to the right distance from your eye- then lock it in once it is the correct diameter for an 18" target at 200 yards. After that you simply slide the sight foward for each different range- as it gets farther it becomes smaller so you can tell what range your target is at.

KJack
June 24, 2002, 20:23
That Lyman-like sight is VERY COOL! (Excuse me, I try not to use that kind of language....)

That's one of the weak links of the FAL, IMHO. The long sight radius makes up for some of the limitations, but as a functioning unit, it's far below say, a Springfield 03-A3. I even machined the front post down to approxmate the size of the 03 blade.at the comensurate shorter distance...that's an improvement. With a good peep, or better still, a "ghost-ring"....

rob1
June 24, 2002, 21:53
Originally posted by gary.jeter
I want one of these:
http://www.guntech.com/fn/prod_small.jpg

See http://www.guntech.com/fn/sight3.html

what, you can't conjure one up with the Dremel? Say it aint so, Gary!:(

m1shooter
June 25, 2002, 13:09
I want one too.
do you know the guy.
there's no contact link
ok ,, I found him

mountain man
June 25, 2002, 15:40
I can see one potential problem with your idea of using a bare aperature as a rangefinder, and that's diffraction. A pinhole small enough to cover only 18" at 200 to 600 yards is going to act as a pinhole lens, i.e., it's going to have an associated focal length that will surely cause some interesting optical changes as it changes distance from your eye. Maybe you've already thought of this, and it's negligible, I don't know. My ray tracing program doesn't model pinhole lenses, so I can't really say what might happen exactly.:confused:

Upside Down @ 100 MPH
June 25, 2002, 21:10
A hole small enough so that an 18" object completely fills it? Sounds like an extremely small field of view. I don't think a hole small enough to do that would let in enough light to get a good sight picture. About the smallest aperture anyone uses on a service rifle is is .036".

7.62FMJ
June 26, 2002, 01:31
See I thought of all that with the focus factor and FOV. Personally I think one of the biggest drawbacks on the FAL sight is the peep hole size- it's already to big when being that close to the eye. Sure most service rifles do have holes around .040 or just a little smaller- but look how far away the sight is from the person's eye. The sight hole on the FAL could be reduced for better precision but would appear in size at that close to the eye the same as on perhaps an AR15.

The point with having depth adjustment would be to fine tune the size of the peep hole. I wish I could get a sight blank for the FAL without the hole drilled then I could drill an ultra fine peep hole or flip type system with an ultra fine peep hole and standard peep hole. I truly believe the FAL is capable of the same accuracy as the M14 if the sights could be improved as well as bolt face lock up improvement.

recce
June 26, 2002, 06:29
You could use a Canadian rotor style sight. Since it does not require forward movement to change the range settings all that would be required is the windage adjustment knob.

The apertures are smaller than those found on other FAL sights so this would solve one of the major complaints.

A potential drawback would be the width of the Cdn sight, not to mention the cost of buying one to convert unless someone were to start making them themselves.

Just my .02

Upside Down @ 100 MPH
June 26, 2002, 11:12
Originally posted by 7.62FMJ
Sure most service rifles do have holes around .040 or just a little smaller- but look how far away the sight is from the person's eye.

Most service rifle shooters get as close to the rear sight as possible, resting their nose against the cocking handle.