PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle weight

Nicco
June 23, 2002, 21:03
Chopped my IMBEL barrel to 16.25" and want to attach the muzzle weight I got with my kit from Dans. It slides over the barrel and has no movement although the barrel is not threaded.
Do I need to thread the barrel or can I solder it as is? Also the tolerance is close enough that it may scrape the solder paste off.
Would it be better to uses silver solder wire and flux?
I've never silver soldered before but I've sweat soldered plumbing before and this sounds similar.

Thoughts?

Nicco

Vulcan
June 24, 2002, 01:59
Muzzle weight?
Would that be a muzzle brake.....does it have 2 to 4 rows of 3 holes spaced equidistant around it?
Silver soldering and silver brazing are completely different. I'm not absolutely sure but I dont think you can legally solder a muzzle device, it must be brazed, welded or pinned.
Soldering is a low heat technique commonly used for plumbing and the like. Silver brazing requires heat ranges of 1300 degreees and more. A close tolerance fit is needed for a good bond with brazing. If you are not already familiar with brazing you should not attempt it on your barrel until you are well practiced. You could screw up your barrel big time. Also, if you dont want a muzzle device, you dont have to have one if there are no evil threads where you could attach such vicious things as thermonuclear devices and the like ;) ....

Your best bet initially would be to perform a search on this subject by going to the bottom of the page and selecting a date range in the first box (go back a year) and then type in "brake" or "brazing" or "brake AND brazing", this will deliver past threads that you can peruse.

HTH

Nicco
June 24, 2002, 10:14
btt

FWRA
June 24, 2002, 10:56
Originally posted by Nicco
Chopped my IMBEL barrel to 16.25" and want to attach the muzzle weight I got with my kit from Dans. It slides over the barrel and has no movement although the barrel is not threaded.
Do I need to thread the barrel or can I solder it as is? Also the tolerance is close enough that it may scrape the solder paste off.
Would it be better to uses silver solder wire and flux?
I've never silver soldered before but I've sweat soldered plumbing before and this sounds similar.

Thoughts?

Nicco

Magnum Gunsmithing silver soldered an IAI M-444/Hesse brake on my custom built Imbel Fal rifle and it was unthreaded.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/p2d94320047edb7b687945b70553a1a21/fdb19d37.jpg

E-mail him and he'll help you out.

gr187@earthlink.net