PDA

View Full Version : Baking Lacquer

Adventurer_96
June 23, 2002, 20:23
NOTE: THIS IS NOT A FLAME OF THE PRODUCT, IT WORKED AS ADVERTISED, I JUST BELIEVE THAT THE SURFACE NEEDED A DIFFERENT PREPARATION. (added 3/24/02)

Well, my experiment with baking lacquer as a refinish on my G1 kit hasn't worked out all that well. It seems that some of the parts were too smooth, and the lacquer has not taken to it very well. Parts are chipping and peeling quite a bit, so I'm guessing I'll be sending it off to be parkerized eventually unless I can either find a fix, or a second coat holds better.

Snakeshot
June 23, 2002, 20:30
Adventurer,

I have been there and done that. The paint works great over blast'n'park, but otherwise has nothing to grab on to.

A thorough degreasing of all parts is also requisite.

Adventurer_96
June 24, 2002, 12:25
It appears that this will be sent out to be finished after all. Too bad really as the finish looked quite nice, if the base metal had any more texture I'm sure it would have held up better. I even gave the finish a week or so after baking before handling. Better luck next time I guess, maybe the parts I used AlumahydeII on will work out better.

EMDII
June 24, 2002, 15:03
KG and others recommend a tetxtured finish. The application will dry relatively smooth.

Adventurer_96
June 25, 2002, 00:43
Again, thanks for the info. This board in particular has a lot of helpful folks.

I'm thinking that when I refinish the parts again tomorrow, the high-wear parts which are already chipped will get a touch of 100 or 150 grit paper to texture the area. I've decided that I will most likely send this rifle out eventually to get parkerized, but in the meantime if I can get a decent finish with the lacquer, it will allow me to put it together and shoot it.