PDA

View Full Version : AK47 Kit construction

Spoty
June 23, 2002, 16:11
Hello,

I saw quite a few AK47 type gun kits. I can build a FAL except for the barrel to receiver attachment. Are the AK47 kits easy to construct, or do they require special tools and skills like the FAL barrel to receiver attachment?

Adventurer_96
June 23, 2002, 20:14
The general consensus I got during my research at ak-47.net (www.gunsnet.net/forums) was that you need a hydraulic press of some sort to seat the barrel, and then you have to rivet the barrel trunnion to the receiver if you're going to do it right. There are some other ways to get it done, like screws, etc. If you're looking for an inexpensive Romanian AK, your best bet might be to get a SAR. However, check out their building forum and you might get some better insight. Some guys have had luck welding pieces together, but I just don't feel right about that myself.

That being said, I bought a Krinkov kit and it's off to the gunsmith's to be built right now.:rolleyes: I'm sure it will be incredible when it shows up, but the waiting is killing me as it's been three+ months.

June 23, 2002, 20:24
Spoty,

I have built a few AK's and it's essential to have a hydraulic press. I used a 20 ton, but you can use a larger one. You also have to be able to rivet, unless you are doing a milled receiver version. For the milled receiver, there is a cross pin that you have to install after pressing the barrel. It's not difficult, it just helps to have the right tools.

I think the SAR's are a great value. With the wholesale at around $290, you can afford to make it pretty. I have refinished a lot of these for people by blasting then and parkerizing, as well as cleaning up the stocks. They look pretty good after a little TLC. Of course they work great without any TLC, which is the beauty of the AK :)

Glen

WJ-Polish Guy
June 23, 2002, 20:39
Originally posted by Spoty
Hello,

I saw quite a few AK47 type gun kits. I can build a FAL except for the barrel to receiver attachment. Are the AK47 kits easy to construct, or do they require special tools and skills like the FAL barrel to receiver attachment?

If you can`t do a FAL, do not start with AK.
AK req. more skill than FAL. (It really depends on kit and AK type, but in general it is true..)
Riveting and pining is a bitch w/o right tools and fixtures.
I would say that Bulgy AK47 bulid from kit gun not from parts pile would be the easiest...

Spoty
June 24, 2002, 18:14
Hello,

Thank you all very much for your replies. I joined the AK forum mentioned here and I will still try to build an AK from a kit. The SAR-1 would be the cheaper way to go, but I like to tinker with stuff. If the riveting proves to be difficult I will have a gunsmith attach the barrel to the trunion and receiver, but I think I should be able to do the rest of the work as with my current L1A1 project. I could attach the L1A1 barrel to the receiver, but cannot at the moment. (Not due to lack of skill, but due to lack of proper tools.)