PDA

View Full Version : Barrel shim?

frtyfivsevnty
June 23, 2002, 08:21
I started my first build last night on a POS Hesse(gee POS ryhmes with Hesse makes you wonder!).The mag release,bolt hold open,topcover,and bolt carrier all fit properly.The barrel from my parts kit screwed in sort of hard but not too bad.The problem is the barrel tightened against the receiver between 12 and 1 o'clock.Is there a barrel shim to correct this?:confused: If so I assume this makes the locking shoulder size needed to increase.HELP!

EMDII
June 23, 2002, 08:53
Is your donor kit Australian, British, or Indian? If so, a 'breeching washer' as they are called is appropriate. The ID will help clear tha up.

At 16 tpi, your washer need not be too thick to time you at 10:30 or so before torque. Your only get .0625" per turn, and you need less than a 1/4 turn for proper timing.

frtyfivsevnty
June 23, 2002, 09:08
The kit's an Imbel,will the washer still work?

rwwje
June 23, 2002, 12:39
Can't use a breaching washer with with Imbel (metric) barrel (it couldn't be headspaced since the locking shoulder needed would be larger than the reciever's locking shoulder hole). the only thing you can do is peen the barrel shoulder or use a barrel shim. Since you hand time to around 12:30, barrel peening may be a stretch as you need to hand time to 10:30 the 11: 00.

Using 12:30 as your exisitng hand timing baseline, you could use a shim washer of 0.016" to get handtiming near 11:00 or a 0.020" shim for handtiming to just over 10:30 (0.00173" per 10 degrees of rotation). You can make your washer out of shim stock. Using shim stock, you won't have the noticeable gap with the shim washer at the receiver/barrel shoulder that you would have using the peening method given the large amount of over timing involved.

colt88
June 23, 2002, 16:28
How close is the end of your barrel to the flanges in the receiver?
You may be way under timed. I know it sounds crazy, but it is a Heese.

frtyfivsevnty
June 23, 2002, 17:14
F#$k it!I'll return the Hesse and buy a FAC/Coonan.I knew Hesse was crap but this is ridiculous.Thanks for the input anyway you guys always come through.