PDA

View Full Version : OT: Help Drifting Rear Sight of Lever Action Marlin

DeadFish
June 23, 2002, 00:46
I just got a Marlin 39A .22 lever action. It's really fun, really acurate and really well made.:D It groups slightly to one side so I want to drift the rear sight but I've never done this type of thing before. I'd like to get some advice from those with experience on favorite tools and methods. The way the rear sight is built (there's meaty protrusions hanging out on each side), it looks like all I need is a hammer. I've got one of those small brass/nylon hammers from Brownells. Is that enough to move it or does it take a small ballpeen hammer to move it. Is there any way to mark it to judge how much it's moved?

frtyfivsevnty
June 23, 2002, 09:12
The hammer will work OK but you should use a brass punch or something else that won't mar the metal and is small enough not to damage the sight.

Pa. Patriot
June 23, 2002, 10:06
The brownells hammer should suffice. Use a brass drift punch or even a short piece of wood dowel rather than smacking the sight directly with the hammer :)
A little pencil mark should work as a reference to drift.

HTH

DeadFish
June 24, 2002, 00:38
O.K. Thanks, that helps. Good tips. I ordered one of those nylon/brass tipped punch sets from Brownell's today.

I still would like more info. on how to support the rifle while drifting the sight. If it's really tight, I'd rather not have it resting on the forestock. If someone can recommend a "lever-action" rifle board. I'd be happy to go there and ask. I just haven't found one that gets much business. I didn't have time to get at it this weekend to experiment with making some kind of support. Any advice on supporting a lever-action during rear sight drifting? Thanks for your patience.

frtyfivsevnty
June 24, 2002, 17:43
I held my 1895G and the punch with one hand and the hammer with the other.It came out real easy but it was a new gun.You might want to buy one of those "gun vise's"that Midway sells.I have one and it works well and comes in handy for lots of different things.There's rubber padding on the contact points to protect the gun.Hope this helps.

m1shooter
June 24, 2002, 18:04
Is the front sight on a dovetail?
Maybe easier to drift it.

DeadFish
June 25, 2002, 20:21
I did it. I removed the forestock, then used two Jogenson clamps (one on the receiver flats) on top of 4X4s to hold it tight enough. I can take this rig into the field to make more adjustments between shots. I didn't bother waiting for the nylon tipped punch to arrive. I used a cut peice of $0.88 oak dowel.