PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any ideas on straightening an AK front sight?

cowbilly
June 22, 2002, 23:26
I got a good deal on a SAR3, I knew the front sight was crooked thus the deal. I figure the pins will have to be pressed out. Any other solutions out there before I give this a try. The FS is canted to the right and has a 74 brake welded (externally on top and bottom) to the FS. May be a booger.

Thanks in advance.

timkel
June 23, 2002, 07:42
The easiest fix is to install a RPK rear sight. Its adjustable for windage. made of steel and sells for about $25.00

WJ-Polish Guy
June 23, 2002, 09:08
You do not say if it is oryginal Romanian military FS for their 74clone and oryginal Romy brake, I assume it is comercial Romy FS and US 74 look alike brake.
So get oryginal Romy military FS and brake from K-var (if they have it in stock) Drill out pins, cut sight base parallel to bore axis and split with chisel...
Instal new parts, observe US parts count, post pictures, be proud papa....;)

cowbilly
June 23, 2002, 13:40
Thanks gentlemen.

It is a commercial FS with a US brake welded to the post. I'll try to straighten the FS if that fails I'll get the Romanian military version post and 74 compensator.

The FS is too canted to use the RPK rear sight. I can't believe they would let it out of the factory the way it is. Besides, it anoys me knowing the cant exists even if the RPK sight would work.

Thanks again for the advice.

Doubleought
June 23, 2002, 19:07
Canted Front Sight Fix (http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12804&highlight=canted+front+sight)

Antares
June 23, 2002, 19:34
BFH
(Big Friggan Hammer)

rob1
June 23, 2002, 19:54
My SAR 1 had a not-too-badly canted front sight post, I just removed the pins, straightened it the best I could by eyeballing it, and replaced the pins. The brake may be the difference here, though.