PDA

View Full Version : MAPP/Oxygen for soldering?

mr fixit
June 22, 2002, 15:37
I have a couple specific questions; I have a STG 58 and a DSA STOLL look-alike brake to install. I have a MAPP torch with Oxygen bottle combo (same size bottles as propane) torch. Will this get hot enough to melt the high temp silver solder ATF requires to attach muzzle breaks? The barrel is chrome lined, any chance I can/might get it too hot?

FWIW- I have done a lot of welding (AC/DC arc, TIG, some MIG) and a fair amount of soft soldering (copper pipe), but this will be the first time with the high temp stuff. I don't mind jumping in on something new, but this is a really nice parts set, I'd hate to screw it up.

Advice gratefully taken.
TIA

billiboy
June 22, 2002, 16:28
about 1300 f for silver solder .
mapp alone will work, but the shorter time spent heating the better, go for the combo , m/o

Doubleought
June 22, 2002, 16:43
Ditto what billiboy said. I've used MAPP alone to join copper to steel and steel to steel. The quicker you get it to flow temp, the better. Use a heat trap paste or wrap the parts with wet rags to control heat transfer.

GSF1200
June 22, 2002, 17:23
The little 2 bottle Mapp Oxy setup works very well for silver solder

gunsmith_tony
June 22, 2002, 19:27
I've been using that same setup for several years. It works fine for the hi-temp silver solder. In fact...I've even welded with it.
Just don't bandy about. ;)

jwaters
June 22, 2002, 20:33
Worked for me too. The oxygen can go quick though, but probably will solder 5-10 brakes.

I preheat mine up with a propane torch and use heat control paste.

W.E.G.
June 22, 2002, 21:28
I just use the yellow-bottle MAPP gas and nozzle Sears sells.

Spport the barrel in vertical orientation.

Make sure the sufaces are clean and oil-free.

A little dollop of Fuzion silver-solder paste on the threads.

Omit the "heat control" stuff. I've used it. It is NOT needed.

Fire up the torch.

Move it around the thread-area of the thingy.

You are done when it gets reddish orange (~4 minutes).

Doubleought
June 23, 2002, 00:38
If he uses MAPP and oxygen he SHOULD use it. Especially if he uses wire solder instead of paste. There is a reason why they make it. Why overheat parts un-necessarily?

http://www.doubleought.com/gallery/categories/Misc_Photos/Misc_Photos_2/media/photo011.jpg