PDA

View Full Version : Cuban FAL Muzzle Device

Red Six
January 03, 2018, 11:10
I'm doing a Cuban FAL build and I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for in a barrel that will accommodate the correct muzzle device. It does not appear to be threaded but rather secured by a washer in the top of the barrel. Does anyone have experience mounting these things that can give me a bit of a tutorial?

Riddbits
January 03, 2018, 11:46
You're needing an early FN or T48 style flash hider. They are threaded on and the washer is a retainer to ensure that it does not unscrew. They are available from a couple of sources, but most of them are right hand threaded. A standard metric barrel could be used for your build. You would need to rethread the flash hider to left hand and cut a groove in the top of the barrel for the washer to engage.

I'll go digging to see if I have any left that are rethreaded.

J. Armstrong
January 03, 2018, 12:27
You're needing an early FN or T48 style flash hider. They are threaded on and the washer is a retainer to ensure that it does not unscrew. They are available from a couple of sources, but most of them are right hand threaded. A standard metric barrel could be used for your build. You would need to rethread the flash hider to left hand and cut a groove in the top of the barrel for the washer to engage.

I'll go digging to see if I have any left that are rethreaded.

LH threaded long FHs do exist.. If the barrel did not previously have a long T48 FH, you would need to have the key slot machined into the top of the barrel.
Also, a correct barrel would have the o.d. slightly reduced or "necked" where the long fh telescopes over it.

Capt D
January 03, 2018, 19:20
Wuddup my south Louisiana brother, shoot me a PM sometime (I'm in Abbeville)