burtman
December 30, 2017, 12:36
Thought it was blueing ?

fal fiend
December 30, 2017, 12:49
why im asking/ the new flashider i have is painted

lockjaw
December 30, 2017, 13:18
Original would have been a very dark blued... almost black.

In regard to what would be "correct," considering the history and places these rifles ended up, your options are endless. Heck, a coat of yellow varnish might even suffice if you have seen some of the gawd awful Turkish kits from back in the day.

OLDMANPBK
December 30, 2017, 14:02
Here's an early G1 receiver with the original dark blueing.

https://i.imgur.com/hf7Umk9l.jpg

Lee Carpentieri
December 31, 2017, 00:01
The G-1 Contract was phosphated, Then painted with a strong Black synthetic Lacquer paint. The BGS/Border guards Fals might have been blacken/Blued.

This comes from one of my Former FN Mentors that worked at FN Herstal from 1950 to 1980. He was a Cuban born and left Cuba in 1949 and went to Belgium to escape the Batisa regime. Went to work at FN sweeping floors and then worked his way up in the Military weapons division. He had all the certificates from FNH to prove who he was and there was allot of them. He had told me about how FN produced an assault weapon from start to finish.He passed away in 1999.

OLDMANPBK
December 31, 2017, 13:56
Uncoated park can look pretty good too if you don't mind something that's not correct.

https://i.imgur.com/4HQRzACh.jpg

TraFALgar
December 31, 2017, 14:23
The G-1 Contract was phosphated, Then painted with a strong Black synthetic Lacquer paint.
Proof of this is evident on the unserialized G1 lowers available from TAPCO back in the day. They were NOS still in “mummy wrap”; they were definitely paint over park.

gearlogo
December 31, 2017, 14:29
Proof of this is evident on the unserialized G1 lowers available from TAPCO back in the day. They were NOS still in “mummy wrap”; they were definitely paint over park.

I have one of those. Paint over park for sure.

def90
December 31, 2017, 15:12
I believe there have been examples here that were blued.

Abominog
December 31, 2017, 17:44
It’s so nice when everyone is correct. Earliest were blued. Most parked. Spares were paint over park.

I have not been able to confirm that later rifles were painted thought the BGS C was.

reks2
December 31, 2017, 18:51
I was told by an FN trained armorer that the original G1's were blued but they began rusting in the storage depots so later ones were paint over park.

If you look at the dates on the replacement G1 parts e.g. from TAPCO, you'll see that those dates were in the 1960's, after the initial contract was complete and FN decided to go to the paint over park.

CQB27
January 01, 2018, 14:11
Anybody have any idea what color paint to use to paint a DSA parked upper to match a NOS paint over park G1 lower?

lew
January 02, 2018, 12:19
Anybody have any idea what color paint to use to paint a DSA parked upper to match a NOS paint over park G1 lower?

I've used Rustoleum 7777. It is an excellent match to the factory paint.

CQB27
January 02, 2018, 14:12
I've used Rustoleum 7777. It is an excellent match to the factory paint.

Thank you sir!

4markk
January 02, 2018, 14:49
If you want heat, solvent and chip resistance ......

For metric pattern:
Dupli-Color DE1634 Ceramic GM/Chrysler Low Gloss Black Engine Paint, then bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

For inch pattern:
Dupli-Color DE1635 Ceramic Ford Semi-Gloss Black Engine Paint, then bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

CQB27
January 02, 2018, 15:36
If you want heat, solvent and chip resistance ......

For metric pattern:
Dupli-Color DE1634 Ceramic GM/Chrysler Low Gloss Black Engine Paint, then bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

For inch pattern:
Dupli-Color DE1635 Ceramic Ford Semi-Gloss Black Engine Paint, then bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

I appreciate the info! Will baking indoors, like in the kitchen with the windows open and the attic fan on high, send me or the family into a coma or make my wife want to kill me, lol. In other words, how bad will it stink.

gunplumber
January 02, 2018, 15:39
Here's an early G1 receiver with the original dark blueing.

https://i.imgur.com/hf7Umk9l.jpg

That's not bluing, that's paint over park

Only ones I've seen blued were repaired StG (conversion to the short gas tube), will also have more obnoxious brazing.

Some parts blued, yes - hinge pins, carriers (although may be black oxide)

4markk
January 02, 2018, 17:13
I appreciate the info! Will baking indoors, like in the kitchen with the windows open and the attic fan on high, send me or the family into a coma or make my wife want to kill me, lol. In other words, how bad will it stink.

The fumes are minimal from the paint. The two main issues:
1) grease/oils inside the lower will start to melt and burn. Depending how much there is will add to the fumes.
2) as the solvents bake off, they will remain in the oven. You should run the oven through a cleaning cycle before using it for food. OR you can use an outside grill. This paint is not too heat sensitive, so although you won't have as much temperature control with the grill, it really isn't needed.

NOTE: Before curing, as the paint heats up it will get soft, so make sure the painted surface is not touching anything. You will need to suspend it totally.

Invictus77
January 02, 2018, 19:28

Someone on here I trust (possibly G3isMe but I would not swear to that,)stated that if you let the new paint sit for a couple of days before baking in the oven, the smell/fumes are much less, and the end result is the same.

I saved that in my notes as I have a couple I need to do, but I have no personal experience with it. I did save it as it was a comment from someone I trust tho....

G3isMe
January 02, 2018, 20:12
Someone on here I trust (possibly G3isMe but I would not swear to that,)stated that if you let the new paint sit for a couple of days before baking in the oven, the smell/fumes are much less, and the end result is the same.

I saved that in my notes as I have a couple I need to do, but I have no personal experience with it. I did save it as it was a comment from someone I trust tho....

It could have came from me as I do let my parts sit for at least 48 hours before I cure them in the oven. The smell/fumes are minimal and I have yet to have a complaint from the little woman. And trust me, she would let me know if there was an issue. I use the Duplicolor 1634 for Imbels and was wondering if that would look correct for a G1. If 4markk says it matches I trust him. LOL, I'm actually red-green color blind so I have difficulty discerning subtle shades of some colors.....If you are riding with me and I ask you what color that flashing light is up ahead I highly recommend that you tell me.....:facepalm:

p.s. I hang most of my parts on the oven rack with wire when curing. The stub was on this barrel hand tight to faciltate handling. I have since been able to fit a barrel and receiver in the oven with a little wrangling so I can barrel and headspace before painting.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=86926&stc=1&d=1514942762