PDA

View Full Version : what U.S. parts in new CIA L1A1 ?

Pyropuppy
June 22, 2002, 10:43
What parts in the new CIA L1A1 are U.S.

I want to change the furnature and need to know what extra U.S.
I can get to keep the # of U.S. parts correct.
It's built on a CIA U.S. recever.:confused:

Vulcan
June 22, 2002, 10:56
My CAI has the following US parts........
hammer, trigger, sear, receiver, muzzle noise amplifier (;) ) and all furniture.

This allowed me to use an L1A1 pebble grain stock and large butt pad with the sling attachment (very nice quality from Tapco). I also replaced the cheesy hand guards with Penguin Premium HGs. The pistol grip I left as is.

HTH

sf46
June 22, 2002, 11:20
How can you tell that those parts are U.S.? Are they stamped or something?

Vulcan
June 22, 2002, 12:05
I have only CAIs description...........they would not stand to gain by lying, the cost of liability would be greater than the paltry profit........this is unfortunately the case with alot of US made parts. I think it would be a good idea to e-mail Century about this matter so there is a written record of their response, for when and if the BATF should "make enquiries". Bear in mind though, that the batmen have to prove their case, if indeed they should develop one. I have not heard of this happening (but I dont go looking for this info either).

Whilr this is not proof positive, the following link to CAI's FAQ provides a good indication............

http://www.centuryarms.com/indexc.html

HTH

PS...I just tried the link and you will have to manually go into their FAQ section.........

legion489
June 22, 2002, 15:28
I called Century about the same thing and was told they vary the parts that are used. My gun has Century butt stock, pistol grip, handguard, charging handle, trigger, sear, hammer. If you get a US (Century/Hesse) receiver, you may or may not get the above parts, and it seems to be up to the person assembling them if you get seven or eight parts, with the receiver counting as one. Other people have got the gas piston and steel handguards. I really like the Century handguards (as opposed to the steel ones), and the hammer took a little fitting (cammed to the left and would hang up when gentleally hand cycled, worked great when fired) so I polished the cut out in the receiver and that cured that.

withergyld
June 22, 2002, 15:31
I emailed Century with my serial no and the e-mailed back buttstock, pistol grip, handguards, gas piston, hammer, sear, and reciever. They did not say hammer or noise amplifier. The hammer, sear and gas piston are marked. After 700 rnds I can no longer find the "C" on my gas piston :(

Chainsaw
June 22, 2002, 16:02
My STG 58 from CAI has an Imbel receiver the US parts are the piston, hammer, sear, BS, HG, PG. I am not sure about the trigger. I do not have the noise amp. So I guess that I have 6 parts. RM

m1shooter
June 22, 2002, 19:47
Im sure your muzzle thingy is us made.
The original flash hider is illegal

Burner
June 22, 2002, 23:39
My L1A1 has US made hg,pg, bs, Hammer, sear, Muzzle thing and a century inch receiver. The century furniture is marked with a "C" deep down inside. You have to search for it.

BUFF
June 23, 2002, 01:09
When I got my IMBEL-receivered Century R1A1, I e-mailed Century and asked what the U.S. parts were.

Their reply included the receiver as one of the U.S. made parts.

The furniture is easy. Some of their U.S. parts aren't marked. All of their brakes are U.S. made.

I think sometimes even they can't say, as they use what they have.

Harlan at FAC
June 23, 2002, 19:37
Based on our conversations with Century, current production L1A1 Sporter rifles will have the following U.S. made parts:

hammer
sear
muzzle device
buttstock
handguards
pistol grip
receiver.

Pyropuppy
June 23, 2002, 20:18
So Harlan
If what they are telling you is true.
I should be able to add
U.S. Made gas pistoon, charging handle and trigger

and be abile to use some good looking oem furnature to dress it up.
dose that sound about right?

Vulcan
June 23, 2002, 20:21
This thread got me to wondering........so I stripped my gun to look for tell-tale indications of US mfg.............I saw nothing.....nada....so I have contacted Century and supplied them with my ser. #. If I dont feel really confidant about their response I think it would be best to just replace the entire HTS with a US made set from FSE. Maybe the piston...something or other, anyway.

Thanks for bringing this up.....I would rather spend another 50 bucks than put away my pebblegrain stock and put the CAI buttstock back on.

gunzilla
June 24, 2002, 08:11
A few years ago, I contacted the local ATF office and asked them about bayonets on SKS rifles. I wanted to know how they knew the difference between rifles that had them legally and those that did not. I talked to several agents since the stock reply was "it is illegal to put a bayonet on a SKS rifle" and I always replied, " that's not my question. Finally, I got to one agent who, after repeating the same line about how you can't put a bayonet on, eventually told me that if you read the law, it says that it is illegal to assemble a rifle - it is not illegal to possess it. If Century Arms did not use the required US made parts, they are the liable party. I would leave that pebble grain stock right where it is.

Harlan at FAC
June 24, 2002, 09:18
Pp:

If you increase the number of imported parts to thirteen, by adding imported furniture, and then remove three other imported parts (that are on the list of parts BATF list for the rifle type), then the rifle is in compliance. Adding U.S. made parts is for practical function purposes only.

Harlan
FAC

withergyld
June 24, 2002, 11:15
The idea of E-mailing Century is good for two reasons, One you will get a hardcopy from Century as to what the US parts content is in the rifle, and second it demonstrates that the owner is trying to comply with the law. Even if they tell you the wrong parts, you have their statement on record.

(somehow I posted this to the wrong thread) :rolleyes:

mountain man
June 24, 2002, 18:07
When I e-mailed Century about my rifle, they refused to tell me ANYTHING about what parts were US made. They said only that the serial number I had was sold to SOG in 2001. Interesting that you guys can find all this information...:confused:

Vulcan
June 24, 2002, 20:22
Well, I got my reply from CAI........they say that I have hammer, sear, buttstock, pistol grip, receiver, and forearm.......but it is obvious that the brake is US made...so I wonder about the trigger. If indeed the parts they quoted were the only US made then it would seem that they sold a noncompliant firearm....I think I will get another US made part...

Frankly, I think that the girl who answered my e-mail doesnt have a clue what went into it......its just a standard answer.

Harlan at FAC
June 25, 2002, 09:08
Century's reply appears to me to list enough U.S. made parts to reduce the imported parts count to ten.
Start from seventeen, take away seven imported parts, and the result is a rifle with ten imported parts. A rifle with ten imported parts is in compliance.

Vulcan
June 25, 2002, 19:58
true....but they onlt listed 6 :)