PDA

View Full Version : DSA new M-LOK handguard

MFC
December 23, 2017, 17:27
DSA announced this on their Instagram page a few weeks ago but I don't think it has been posted yet. It appears to be a drop in M-LOK compatible handguard for FAL rifle length gas systems. Not much info yet but I'm guessing it'll be formally released at SHOT.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcYPjruHYpw/?taken-by=dsarmsinc

It looks a lot like the Aim Sports version that has been out for a little while: https://aimsportsinc.com/default/platforms/fn-fal/fn-fal-mlok-handguard-w-universal-picatiny-top.html Though I suppose there are only so many ways to skin that particular cat.

I see this being potentially quite useful for mounting a weaponlight. I'm also wondering how stable it will be and if a red dot could be attached at the very end? Might be more convenient that replacing the whole top cover. Guess we'll see...

W.E.G.
December 23, 2017, 17:41
You know, for less than $10, you can mount a slab of plastic pic-rail wherever you want on your existing handguard, and you can clip your flashlight onto that added bit of pic-rail.

As for mounting an aiming device?
Are they kidding?

You either mount the aiming device securely to the rear of the gun, and have normal eye relief, or you mount the aiming device far-forward, and use some sort of long-eye relief system.

From what I'm seing on the image you linked, the rear of the ACRONYM-LOCK thing just slides into the standard FAL handguard ring. The front of it is "secured" in the same manner (one pass-through screw) as a standard FAL handguard. Yeah, that is probably secure enough for keeping a flashlight on the target. For precise aiming????... I don't think so.

Thorack
December 23, 2017, 17:57
Yeah,

Better be alot better than the Vltor models. Hell they still haven't got the stock out they have been talking about for two years and showing for a year.

Thorack

raubvogel
December 27, 2017, 07:10
What is a Vitor handguard?

Thorack
December 27, 2017, 10:00
Well,

Check it out. Got three sets and they are currently the best handguards on the market IMHO.

https://www.vltor.com/shop/fal/handguards-fal/casv-fal-handguard/

Thorack

FalDoc1982
December 31, 2017, 16:00
I have to agree with Thorack, the VLTORs are the nicest I've seen. I have the AIM Sports M-Lock and they're nice but not VLTOR nice.

nvcdl
January 09, 2018, 11:28
I picked up one of the AIM M-Lock handgaurds.

Having a rail on top allows one to use a red dot scope forward mounted and a standard dustcover.

badfish
January 10, 2018, 15:07
I picked up one of the AIM M-Lock handgaurds.

Having a rail on top allows one to use a red dot scope forward mounted and a standard dustcover.

I haven't posted much lately but in case anyone is wondering I work for Aimsports in development. Just wanted to say thanks for the purchase. :D I know my opinion is totally biased but one one feature like with our handguard is that it has M-Lok slots on the top section at 45. IMHO it is an optimal place for lights. There are other features I prefer as well but not trying to rain down on any company's product. If anyone has any questions about our handguards feel free to send me a PM or email me at george@aimsportsinc.com
Thanks
:fal:

RG Coburn
January 10, 2018, 16:22
Well,

Check it out. Got three sets and they are currently the best handguards on the market IMHO.

https://www.vltor.com/shop/fal/handguards-fal/casv-fal-handguard/

Thorack

Ouch! $300 for a handguard?

STG_58_guy
January 12, 2018, 02:22
I think I paid about $80 each for two of the Aim Sports hgs with no top rail and I luv 'em. Looks like optics planet has them for $68 and it comes with both railed and rail free top sections.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/aim-sports-inc-fn-fal-m-lok-2pc-drop-in-universal-handguard.html?_iv_code=77-HZ-MMFN01&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=Cj0KCQiAs9zSBRC5ARIsAFMtUXHmySYxrqUOXVMedpDN UYbZDCmtTBNg88d1JpZX-QzzY81Hh-CxYlEaAl1KEALw_wcB

That's a smokin deal. :bow:

brunop
January 12, 2018, 02:30
Yeah...

Hell they still haven't got the stock out they have been talking about for two years and showing for a year.

Thorack

I think you may be wrong about that...

rheubers
January 12, 2018, 03:19
I think I paid about $80 each for two of the Aim Sports hgs with no top rail and I luv 'em. Looks like optics planet has them for $68 and it comes with both railed and rail free top sections.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/aim-sports-inc-fn-fal-m-lok-2pc-drop-in-universal-handguard.html?_iv_code=77-HZ-MMFN01&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=Cj0KCQiAs9zSBRC5ARIsAFMtUXHmySYxrqUOXVMedpDN UYbZDCmtTBNg88d1JpZX-QzzY81Hh-CxYlEaAl1KEALw_wcB

That's a smokin deal. :bow:

That's a smokin deal if saving a few dollars is worth spending time waiting for something that is not in stock to begin with. Opticsplanet is notorious for jerking people around.

That aside, I do have the AIM Sports Keymod handguard. Love it. Slim and very versatile. I can't comment on keymod versus Mlok as Keymod is all I've used, but I don't get why DSA decided to keep the three oval hole profile on the top half.

As badfish stated (and I agree) that is a great place to mount a light. It causes the light to cast shadows downwards diagonally, out of the sight picture. I use a Ergo extended rail to get the lense of my light in front of the gas block. To mount a light at three or nine o'clock will cast a conical shadow that projects upward opposite the side that the light is mounted.

I'm not going to talk trash about the Vltor CASV as Vltor is known for making solid gear, but that particular handguard seems too proprietary for mounting accesories compared to the versatilty of Keymod and Mlok.

MFC
January 12, 2018, 14:01
I'm pretty sure the VLTOR handguard came out long before keymod or m-lok were even things. At the time there were a lot of proprietary mounting options out there. Fortunately they seem to have standardized. I don't know if they will ever release one in a standardized pattern. I'm sure the fal is a low-volume market for them compared to AR's.

rheubers
January 13, 2018, 02:41
I'm pretty sure the VLTOR handguard came out long before keymod or m-lok were even things. At the time there were a lot of proprietary mounting options out there. Fortunately they seem to have standardized. I don't know if they will ever release one in a standardized pattern. I'm sure the fal is a low-volume market for them compared to AR's.

You're right about the timeline regarding the Vltor handguard and when keymod and mlok showed up. At the time, the only options for an FAL were Vltor and DSA quad rails, and quad or partial Picatinny rails were still the standard for ARs.

For the longest I eyeballed the CASV but couldn't warm up to the price. Quality, yes, but three bills on handguards for a gun built on a two bill kit didn't excite me, lol. Nice product though!