PDA

View Full Version : S.U.I.T. Dust Cover Mount Tabs

Quattr09
December 20, 2017, 20:40
Well, I was reminded today that I am a dope... :blackeye:

I placed the winning bid on an L2A2, and was very excited up until realizing about 3 hours prior to the auction ending that the tabs had been filed off.

So now I'm stuck with the thing, and was wondering if it would be possible to "rebuild"/fabricate/weld new tabs onto the dust cover? The gunsmith I use is very talented, but is this even feasible?

Thanks all :shots:

Ghost
December 20, 2017, 21:39
Honestly dont see why not, but even without them it will still work.

Well, I was reminded today that I am a dope... :blackeye:

I placed the winning bid on an L2A2, and was very excited up until realizing about 3 hours prior to the auction ending that the tabs had been filed off.

So now I'm stuck with the thing, and was wondering if it would be possible to "rebuild"/fabricate/weld new tabs onto the dust cover? The gunsmith I use is very talented, but is this even feasible?

Thanks all :shots:

D. Lehrman
December 20, 2017, 21:39
Really easily fixed, BUT, do you really need them??? They usually just crack and break under field usage anyhow, and they do little to nothing for the mount stability. You could always silver solder or weld replacements in place...try it without them first, perhaps, some actually like them...many fall out of love with em' as well.

NZ L1A1 Collector
December 21, 2017, 01:43
I wouldn't worry about it. it was common practice to remove the tabs when the cover showed signs of fracture. It was an official modification.

Quattr09
December 21, 2017, 05:29
Thank you all kindly for putting my worries to rest!