PDA

View Full Version : OT: Shortest Barrel Length for Pre-Ban AR-15?

larphred
June 22, 2002, 00:28
Son has pre ban AR-15. I have several decent AR-15 barrels hanging around and I thought for fun we might build us up a shorty. I'm lookin' for a collapsable stock, but I was wondering what the brothers at BATF have to say about minimum barrel length on pre-ban AR-15s. Anybody know?

Upside Down @ 100 MPH
June 22, 2002, 01:17
16 inches is as short as you can go, pre or post ban. If you are installing some type of muzzle device (flash hider or muzzle brake) you can include it in the overall length measurement IF it is permanently attached (pinned or soldered). If the attachment is removable the barrel proper must measure at least 16".

vmtz
June 22, 2002, 07:31
If you submit a form 1, pay the tax and get approved you can go shorter then 16 inches, but that is a pain.

Vince

Sons of Liberty
June 22, 2002, 12:33
Originally posted by Upside Down @ 100 MPH
16 inches is as short as you can go, pre or post ban. If you are installing some type of muzzle device (flash hider or muzzle brake) you can include it in the overall length measurement IF it is permanently attached (pinned or soldered). If the attachment is removable the barrel proper must measure at least 16".

Bushmaster will build you a 14.5" barrel and permanently attach a Vortex FH to it, giving you a total of 16". I ended up just getting their 16" M4 upper with the Vortex. I don't want to have to deal with some uninformed LEO with a ruler giving me a hard time.

Regards,
SOL

sportsnut
June 22, 2002, 21:33
Here is a picture of my SP1 lower, A-3 upper, with a Bushmaster 14" barrel and a Phantom flashider on the end giving me the necessary 16"