PDA

View Full Version : LAR 50.42/FALO dilemma

zpat
December 19, 2017, 04:52
My first post. So with that, hello all.

A few years ago, I had an opportunity to acquire a full auto (select fire) civilian transferable FALO, which I jumped on. If any of you are into machine guns, you'll know that there are only a couple of these, with most of the transferable FALs being Springfields, paratroopers, etc. Since this gun was really designed for full auto fire, it is a fitting machine gun conversion and I'm extremely fortunate that it came my way.

My dilemma is: because I like to shoot this gun, it is getting banged up. I've already cracked one wood handguard--which I was lucky enough to find an unused replacement at the recent SAR West in Phoenix. But what I'd like to do is replace as many of the parts on the gun as I can and put away the originals. Specifically, pull off the flash hider & bipod and replace the handguard with something that has a picatinny rail. I've already got the top rear cover replaced, and doing the stock is easy. But my problem with the handguard is I cannot find a single aftermarket handguard that will fit over the larger barrel, etc. Both DSA & Vltor have both said their models will not fit.

And yes, this gun is absolutely bad-ass when you put it on the firing line with a Beta CMAG. Probably my favorite gun to shoot in full auto. It is also fun holding it (without the Beta CMAG), as long as you are a larger person.

Three more thoughts/questions:

1. I saw a post on here a while back about somebody making FALO heavy barrels, did anything ever happen with that? Would love to pickup an extra one or two.

2. Can someone explain how to replace the handguard on this gun? It isn't obvious and I certainly don't want to muck it up.

3. Any recommendations for a very competent gun smith that can work on this gun? I've already sent it off to one that managed to fix one problem but create another. The trigger works great in full auto, but in single fire mode it is not resetting all the time. This is a brand new replaced trigger & selector supposedly, as the gun was sent off with the problem being that the single fire mode was double firing each trigger pull, and while a 2nd burst mode is cool, I did want the ability to single fire. ;)

Anyways, thanks for any input/thoughts.

Capt D
December 19, 2017, 06:51
I apologize for not having more to contribute, but I would say this takes the cake for best 1st post of the decade...

01BIRDDOG
December 19, 2017, 08:55
Outstanding post also........Run that sucker W.F.O. and don't worry about it.

4markk
December 19, 2017, 11:40
LAR 50.42 / FALO as in FN made. Some people call the Izzy Heavy Barrel by that as well.

I have the semi-only version of the same rifle.

As for the handguard, I have a composite handguard that was apparently made for the Greeks. I'd be willing to part with it. PM me your email and I'll send you some pics.

As for removing the handguard it is locked in place by the handguard clip. Pull the clip up then you can you slide it off. This is from memory so let me verify tonight.

If I had the FA version, I think I would remove the receiver and store the parts kit away and put the receiver on an IZZY HB kit with an IMBEL Bolt/carrier to shoot the shit out of that first. Parts for the IZZY (although getting expensive) are still a lot cheaper than the LAR 50.42.

mp
December 19, 2017, 16:52
I was gonna mention the Greek plastic handguard. Very heavy duty--probably indestructible--and would be great for FA fire. Sounds like 4markk has you set up.

If you are worried about banging up your original wood stuff, I have a set of stripped NOS Belgian wood for your 50.42

zpat
December 19, 2017, 17:15
LAR 50.42 / FALO as in FN made. Some people call the Izzy Heavy Barrel by that as well.

I have the semi-only version of the same rifle.

As for the handguard, I have a composite handguard that was apparently made for the Greeks. I'd be willing to part with it. PM me your email and I'll send you some pics.

As for removing the handguard it is locked in place by the handguard clip. Pull the clip up then you can you slide it off. This is from memory so let me verify tonight.

If I had the FA version, I think I would remove the receiver and store the parts kit away and put the receiver on an IZZY HB kit with an IMBEL Bolt/carrier to shoot the shit out of that first. Parts for the IZZY (although getting expensive) are still a lot cheaper than the LAR 50.42.

Great suggestion re: IZZY HB. I think I'll do that! Now I really need to find a competetent FAL gunsmith to do the work. Any suggestions?

Invictus77
December 19, 2017, 17:17
Great first post, but needs lots of photos !

I believe 4markk is offering a great suggestion.

zpat
December 19, 2017, 17:35
Great first post, but needs lots of photos !

I believe 4markk is offering a great suggestion.

Aye, normally I would post but my pictures of it suck. It is actually a difficult gun to get a good picture--I've been trying.

A month ago, I was out in the desert here in Utah shooting at a sight where somebody had dumped around 100 pumpkins. Most of them had a couple holes in them from some 9mm handgun, but a lot were still pristine. When I left, all that existed was pumpkin guts as far as the eye could see. I got tears in my eyes, maybe from the smoke of the Serbian mil surp ammo I was using, but I want to think they were tears of joy.

I own a reasonably large machine gun collection but this FALO is definitely my favorite.

Capt D
December 19, 2017, 18:56
I own a reasonably large machine gun collection but this FALO is definitely my favorite.

How the hell is it that we never met while I was stationed at Hill??? I'll make my way back there at some point...we'll have to meet up some time... --Art

Vaughn L. Allen
December 23, 2017, 18:54
I've got a bunch of FAL parts and I'm probably very close to you. I live in the area of 9000 S 4000 W. I've got a friend in SJ who has his Class 2 SOT and between the two of us can probably get you on the right path.

If it were me and I could afford to shoot it FA a lot, I would do the following:

1. Replace bolt and carrier to preserve them (matching #s) and headspace

2. Buy a SA 50.61 or 50.62

3. When you wish to sell the FA, swap front ends from the SA to the FA and replace any worn parts (non-serial numbered) with parts from the SA

4. Put original BCG in FA and headspace

5. Sell both, you'll maximize the value of the FA and still get a lot of $ from the SA.

I can do almost everything but do not have a barrel vise for HB. Last time I was build HBs, I rented a HB vise from Ratas. Always remove the top cover when shooting it and put electrical tape on the receiver to prevent brass kisses.