PDA

View Full Version : A few refinishing ideas I've been messing with.

Brian S
June 21, 2002, 23:00
Hey all, it's 11:00 p.m. and I am waiting for my bestest buddy to show up with some pizza so we can start changing out the CV axles on his POS Isuzu. Sometimes having an air compressor is like having a pickup, everybody is your friend when its time to move/sandblast!

Anyway I am sitting here looking at some furniture I just refinished for my work in progress and I thought I would share this with you. I have seen it posted before that carry handles are not easy to successfully refinish. I would have agreed until I created a really simple tool to help. You may have already had this idea or it may be new to you, hopefully someone will find it useful though.

this is a mandrel that I made from 10-24 allthread and some locknuts and fender washers. You chuck the allthred in your drill run a nut down, thorw a fender washer on it, slip on your carry handle, then another washer and your last nut. Tighten down the nut and go to town. I used 220 grit at a medium speed first to get the big nick marks and scratches out, then 320 wet a bit faster to get the 220 scratches out. I gave it a good coat of alumahyde, let it cure, then did 320 again to further hide the dings and marks. A final shot OD alumahyde made it look as good as new. I wish I had a before picture because mine was really nasty looking.

Total cost of tool was $1.21 at my hardware store.

Brian S
June 21, 2002, 23:09
Tool pic

skfullgun
June 21, 2002, 23:27
Amazing. Simply amazing. Just goes to show you that necessity IS the mother of invention. Either that, or you've got a whole lot of spare time on your hands!:)

Brian S
June 21, 2002, 23:51
How does it go? Poverty is the father of necessity?