PDA

View Full Version : STG58 purchase.

ncreptile
December 18, 2017, 13:54
Long time lurker but never really got into the FAL game until now.

Already have a Rhodie and have been wanting a Steyr.
Local guy has an early DSA STG58 built rifle. All of the main parts match(other than the barrel which is a steyr). Has a type 2 forged receiver.

Some moron removed the original metal handguards/bipod because "it was too heavy"(the poor baby) so I'll have to source those out as I love the look of the metal handguards and bipod.

Few questions.
1. $1000 seem like a fair price in todays market?
2. The furniture on the gun is a very dark green almost black. Would metal handguards on a later rifle(147k serial range) be correct?

I was looking at this one but figured I could get the handguards/bipod for under $100 and be into this one for only $1100.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/728427574

Thanks for reading and hopefully answering.

hkshooter
December 18, 2017, 14:02
What hand guards did they install in lieu of the metal?

If all is in nice condition I'd say it's a great buy. DSA 2's are pushing $675 alone these days.
Yes, metal hand guards would be correct.

ncreptile
December 18, 2017, 14:21
What hand guards did they install in lieu of the metal?

If all is in nice condition I'd say it's a great buy. DSA 2's are pushing $675 alone these days.
Yes, metal hand guards would be correct.

I believe they are DSA handguards. They're a forest green color and marked "made in the usa" on the inside. No cutout for the bipod.

Invictus77
December 18, 2017, 14:26
Few questions.
1. $1000 seem like a fair price in todays market? Yes
2. The furniture on the gun is a very dark green almost black. Would metal handguards on a later rifle(147k serial range) be correct?
Yes

Sounds nice.

ncreptile
December 18, 2017, 15:19
Thanks guys. Went ahead and contributed a whopping $10 to the forum in appreciation of your help.

Will hopefully have some pictures of it after Christmas.

01BIRDDOG
December 18, 2017, 19:19
Sounds like you got a nice FAL. Welcome aboard also.

1911Ron
December 18, 2017, 19:28
Good rescue! Yes pictures would be great!

lockjaw
December 18, 2017, 22:07
There are quite a few "morons" around here who opted to remove their bI-pods (and Stoll devices) and metal handguards on their shooters. They look cool, but beyond that, most find the items to be dead weight. The metal handguards get HOT quick!

But, do to the points above, you are in luck, as these items are not uncommon as a result. I have a nice STG58 bI-pod off a factory DSA rifle if you are interested.

Regarding the handguards, DSA examples
always had the bI-pod recess. I'm guessing that yours are the Penguin make.... are they completely plastic void of any metal (minus the bolt)?