PDA

View Full Version : The state of FAL building today..

def90
December 17, 2017, 19:58
I've been building AKs the last couple years but have a number of FALs/L1A1s that I am getting an itch to finish off.. From what I can tell pretty much any receiver manufacturer out there right now is a crap shoot as to whether or not you are going to get an issue free build.. Has it really come to that or are some of these issues just nit picky?

Bummer, I need another Brit receiver, a couple Aussies and a few various metrics. Almost seems as though buying used rifles and cannibalizing them is the way to go.

4x401
December 17, 2017, 20:58
Almost seems as though buying used rifles and cannibalizing them is the way to go.

Unfortunately this is true. The older receivers seem to be the best option, next to the tried and true Imbel of course.

hkshooter
December 17, 2017, 20:59
Unfortunately this is true. The older receivers seem to be the best option, next to the tried and true Imbel of course.

Absolutely true.

Edgartwib
December 19, 2017, 16:10
I am seeing the same thing as a new builder. I am leaning towards a new Coonan Type II so I can serial numbers match a kit I have. What's kept me from pulling the trigger is I keep reading about new receivers are a crap shoot on weather it will be an easy build or not.

4markk
December 19, 2017, 19:30
I am seeing the same thing as a new builder. I am leaning towards a new Coonan Type II so I can serial numbers match a kit I have. What's kept me from pulling the trigger is I keep reading about new receivers are a crap shoot on weather it will be an easy build or not.

Unfortunately you have little over a week to decide. Those go away after the new year.