PDA

View Full Version : Was there ever a contract for a type A bayonet without the flash hider prongs?

Riddbits
December 13, 2017, 22:45
At a recent show, I obtained a Type A bayonet that does not have the flash hider prongs. From the looks of the scabbard, it was on a bayonet with the prongs, but the cross guard doesn't look like it has had work done to it. If there was never a contract for a bayonet without the prongs, someone did one heck of a job converting this one. It does not fit onto a Browning long flash hider, so not a Type B conversion. Was this done in the field?

There is a serial number on the right side of the pommel, 1585, that looks to be individually stamped. The latch has the rear "flair" rather than being rounded which leads me to believe that it is an Argentine contract if it is modified. I'll put up a picture or two shortly.

hagar
December 14, 2017, 09:58
Post a pic, you probably did not luck out getting a Type B for cheap. Could it be an Uzi?

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/South_Africa/South_Africa_2.html

Riddbits
December 14, 2017, 10:59
I knew it wasn't a type B when I bought it. The muzzle ring is too small and the blade is too long. It just doesn't have the flash hider prongs.

def90
December 14, 2017, 11:16
I knew it wasn't a type B when I bought it. The muzzle ring is too small and the blade is too long. It just doesn't have the flash hider prongs.

Did you see the UZI bayo in his link above? Looks like a type a without prongs.

Riddbits
December 14, 2017, 11:48
This is the bayonet. The last picture is of it mounted to my M2. The pins for the cross guard are so well blended that I have trouble seeing them. This is definitely not an UZI bayonet.

embatp
December 14, 2017, 13:18
Didnít gunplumber or somebody state that in the past they did this to some of these early bayonets with broken prongs? Made them pseudo B types? The area where the prongs are supposed to be doesnít seem to have the same patina as the rest of the bayo....looks too new to me.....

Abominog
December 14, 2017, 14:00
It doesnít answer your question but I have an EX1 that the ring was professionally machined off (it must have been removed and reinstalled) by Canadian armory. Why? But clearly they had the capability to reassemble bayonets.

Riddbits
December 14, 2017, 14:29
The more I look at it, the more I think it is a conversion. Probably bent prongs milled off, but it was done by someone that knew what they were doing.