PDA

View Full Version : Holsters

Bawana jim
December 13, 2017, 12:54
Revolvers should have good holsters, not some cheap junk.:D Ya that's going to cost me.:bow:

So to fill in the history I sold my FA guns for a number of reasons and started buying Colt SAA guns. To my mind they are a work of art and while obsolete still a functional fire arm that is our history. Just the hunt for these guns is great but once you buy one they really need old time leather to get that feel of history.

El Paso Saddlery has been around a long time and makes some of the best leather I have ever seen. I ordered a Tom Three Persons holster for my 44 special and it's a beautifully done rig. Got it today and it's all I had hoped for.

Merry Christmas

TenTea
December 13, 2017, 13:07
I desired a photo. :)

https://americanhandgunner.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/CARRY-2.jpg

http://www.hverovhe.com/saa_holster.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/clifton/large/P1010048.JPG

Bawana jim
December 13, 2017, 13:54
Ya thanks, that is some beautiful leather right there now.

Timber Wolf
December 13, 2017, 15:43
So, you got out of one expensive hobby/collection (FA), and bailed off into another one(SAA+Leather)?:bow:

Bawana jim
December 13, 2017, 16:05
It's fun and not really expensive. If you pay attention you can buy Colts for a good price and sell them for better when you are done with them. It's just moving the money from a savings account to the gun account. Leather is another story, buying new is a loser but heck it's a hobby and fun so I pay for fun.

MAINER
December 13, 2017, 18:45
El Paso Saddlery used to be SD Myers?

Anyway, that's some damn fine leather works and a SA Colt or clone is some fun shooting time.

Bawana jim
December 13, 2017, 21:07
You order fine leather and it's something you leave behind when you are gone. A cheap holster goes in the garbage. Kinda like to think my life was worth more than a cheap piece of junk and a great holster left behind is the proof it was.:D

TerryN
December 13, 2017, 23:43
El Paso Saddlery used to be SD Myers?

Anyway, that's some damn fine leather works and a SA Colt or clone is some fun shooting time.

S.D. Myres. FWIW, Simply Rugged makes some very nice holsters, including his version of the Threepersons, modeled after a Geo. Lawrence Model 120 holster made for Elmer Keith. Rob sends the floral carving out, but the work is outstanding! I just received one last week. Also, do not overlook Mike 'Doc' Barranti - a true artist in Leather! Spendy, and there is a wait, but the results are well worthwhile.

NFADLR
December 14, 2017, 00:15
This reminds me in a way I've been looking for a cowboy type holster for my 44 mag revolver.

Any good custom manufacturers of the holsters and belt that I can stuff my chunky waist into ?

Triple K I don't think makes a belt large enough although their holster looks nice.

The revolver is currently a Smith 629 classic hunter, and in the future a Sturm Ruger 454/45 long colt Redhawk or super redhawk.

TerryN
December 14, 2017, 00:29
This reminds me in a way I've been looking for a cowboy type holster for my 44 mag revolver.

Any good custom manufacturers of the holsters and belt that I can stuff my chunky waist into ?

Triple K I don't think makes a belt large enough although their holster looks nice.

The revolver is currently a Smith 629 classic hunter, and in the future a Sturm Ruger 454/45 long colt Redhawk or super redhawk.

How much you looking to spend? El Paso Saddlery is pretty affordable; DM Bullard is a bit more expensive but better quality IMHO. Barranti is top dog, and priced accordingly.

NFADLR
December 14, 2017, 01:03
Thanks for the info, I'll look em up.

How much you looking to spend? El Paso Saddlery is pretty affordable; DM Bullard is a bit more expensive but better quality IMHO. Barranti is top dog, and priced accordingly.

Bawana jim
December 14, 2017, 07:31
This guy makes some great leather and I bought some. After the first of the year I am going to have him make an entire rig for me.

http://www.jm-leather.com