PDA

View Full Version : Loading the M1 clip

elchunkogrande
December 12, 2017, 11:18
OK, I know I learned this in basic in 1961 but someone remind me which way the M-1 Garand clip loads. First cartridge on the left or right?

Brother Wayne
December 12, 2017, 11:31
It doesn't matter. The rounds will feed either way.
BW

idsubgun
December 12, 2017, 11:47
As was mentioned, it doesn’t matter when it comes to feeding but when the top cartridge is on the right, it does make it “easier” to load the clip into the rifle. You have the prominent cartridge closer to your right thumb. Gives you a better “grip”.

Hope that made sense.

Invictus77
December 12, 2017, 11:48
^^^ This !

TenTea
December 12, 2017, 11:58
It doesn't matter. The rounds will feed either way.
BW

It may depend on how it feels to the thumb when mashing loaded clips into the well.
Probably shouldn't mention clips and thumb and mashing in the same M1 sentence.

In this case, is it a clipwell rather than a magwell?

eta: I started this reply at 10:32 and got called away from my machine. I see youse guys already got it covered. Good!

MAINER
December 12, 2017, 11:59
Tradition has it with the top cartridge on the right. I don't know who's tradition that is or if it has anything to do with being easier to insert the clip.
I think it has something to do with avoiding the dreaded "Garandthumbitus" disease.

I have heard that the Garand and most rifles with a similar feed method are most reliable when chambering a cartridge from the right side of the mag or clip.
This may be superstition, but soldiers are about the most superstitious bunch there is. Always worked for me.

TenTea
December 12, 2017, 12:04
For a right handed person the M1 is very intuitive as to what works to load the rifle.
For a left handed person, well... ;)

idsubgun
December 12, 2017, 12:07
In this case, is it a clipwell rather than a magwell?

Neither. It’s the magazine.

gunseller
December 12, 2017, 12:51
Early on there were some feeding issues with the top round on the right. The issues have been corrected for over 78 years so load on which ever side you like. I always have the top round on the right.
Steve

tdb59
December 12, 2017, 13:01
Tradition has it with the top cartridge on the right. I don't know who's tradition that is or if it has anything to do with being easier to insert the clip.
I think it has something to do with avoiding the dreaded "Garandthumbitus" disease.

"Garandthumbitus" can not occur loading a full en bloc into the rifle.

Two items can not occupy the same space at the same time.

Fear and unfamiliarity with proper procedure ( pilot error ) causes injury......

......in many things.

As does mythology perpetrated by the unknowing.

:biggrin:

TenTea
December 12, 2017, 14:54
Neither. It’s the magazine.

So you're saying we load magazines with clips, again?
Same as it ever was... :biggrin:

Orlando8
December 12, 2017, 17:38
makes absolutely no difference, do it whichever way it is easier for you

ArtBanks
December 12, 2017, 18:03
makes absolutely no difference, do it whichever way it is easier for you

Yep, just stop when you get to 8 for a standard enbloc, the 9th is a bugger.

elchunkogrande
December 13, 2017, 10:58
Thanks guys. Having the top round on the right really does make it easier to load so I'll go with that.

MAINER
December 13, 2017, 18:34
"Garandthumbitus" can not occur loading a full en bloc into the rifle.

Two items can not occupy the same space at the same time.

Fear and unfamiliarity with proper procedure ( pilot error ) causes injury......

......in many things.

As does mythology perpetrated by the unknowing.

:biggrin:

I have never thought so either, at least I have never done it.....yet anyway. Generally find it necessary to give the Charge Handle a kick in the ass to get things moving toward the chamber.

Yes, the old myth lives on which was once perpetuated by sadistic old Marine Gunny Sergeants delight in scaring the crap out of the FNG's, especially Navy types. :redface:
It's still not a good idea to go poking about a Garand's gizzards with your fingers when the Bolt is locked back. :tongue:

ICOM7800
December 13, 2017, 19:11
And remember M1 thumb is impossible to happen when loading a full clip.Only happens when playing with an empty rifle

tdb59
December 13, 2017, 20:37
Never had M1 thumb, OR M1 fingers for that matter....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3QNphZxtewI?list=PLGIR3HizKsBX5l_gJCn1yC03R7to3IaD p" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/3QNphZxtewI?list=PLGIR3HizKsBX5l_gJCn1yC03R7to3IaD p

Invictus77
December 13, 2017, 21:33
Never had M1 thumb

Agreed. A myth. Not really sure how it could be done loading an enbloc in the well.

OR M1 fingers for that matter.

Well, now this is a whole different subject with an index finger and cleaning :facepalm:

Arby
December 13, 2017, 22:36
I've never had "M-1 Thumb" either, but I don't doubt that it can happen when loading a full clip. Not all Garands require a bump on the oprod to move it forward after loading a clip. If the bolt goes forward immediately after the clip is seated and you don't move your hand away quickly enough you may get pinched.

I don't think "M-1 Thumb" is a myth. Neither does Scott Duff in his "The M1 Garand: Owner's Guide"(see pg.36).

I do agree that the malady is a result of "pilot error" or poor operator training, though. :biggrin:

Mebsuta
December 14, 2017, 01:56
M1 thumb is real.

Orlando8
December 15, 2017, 06:02
M1 Thumb while loading a enbloc is a Myth, it cannot happen. It happens when the foolish stick their thumb where it does not belong when rifle is empty

bubbagump
December 15, 2017, 06:35
Thanks guys. Having the top round on the right really does make it easier to load so I'll go with that.

Honestly some rifles do seem to have a preference, I have one or two which will on occasion stovepipe on the 7th round when loaded on the 'right'. These guns will function flawlessly when loaded backwards, ie, left on top. Then again I am handloading with match bullets and this is pretty much all mine get fed so who can really say?!? But yeah, right on top is the conventional wisdom/practice.

KoKodog
December 15, 2017, 18:40
M1 thumb is real.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d-FLvnQsggU" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KoKodog
December 15, 2017, 18:47
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XpxiOq8V7Q4" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KoKodog
December 15, 2017, 18:50
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5GdTKm4eBAs" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gunseller
December 15, 2017, 20:43
I know a fine gentleman who spent a little time at the Chosen Reservoir. He has told me that a lot of guys lost their thumbs from getting smashed when loading under fire and then having the thumb freeze. I have know him all of my life.
Steve

Impala_Guy
December 16, 2017, 09:02
Seems to me that M1 thumb can only occur one way. Pushing the follower down without a loaded clip AND exerting rearward pressure on the op rod to release the op rod catch (just pushing on the follower a little won't release the rod) I just don't see how else the bolt could pinch your finger. How anybody with a basic working knowledge of the rifle managed to do this is hard to imagine. An old time Marine who actually shot at people with the Garand in Korea told me that he never saw or heard of this or the "enemy waited for the ping" stories until he started shooting matches in the 1970s.

ArtBanks
December 16, 2017, 09:09
Been using the M1 pretty steady for 51 years and haven't got the thumb yet.
Even when we were issued one in ITR in 1966, I don't remember anyone having a problem. Seems like the only time it happens is when someone is careless and playing with something they know very little about.

Semper Fi
Art

gunseller
December 17, 2017, 10:25
Should go through my ammo more often. Just found two cans of factory 06 on 8 round clips from Lake City, 69 head stamp, and they are loaded so the top round would be on the right. There you have it straight from LC's mouth so to speak.
Steve