PDA

View Full Version : Finders Keepers!

Orion the Hunter
December 10, 2017, 04:55
I was reading through some various threads and read where someone made a comment that they found an old cigarette butt in one of the parts kits they were inventorying (I think the post was from Gunplumber?!)

Interestingly, a few years ago I received a couple Imbel Kits from M&A and was organizing the parts and heard a rattle in the magazine. After removing the floorplate, I found this Finders-Keepers:

https://i.imgur.com/ei2UdTH.jpg

In another discovery, when I was checking out some Rhody Lowers I bought, I found 2 very distinct notches at the top of the neck of the stock. They have clearly been there for many years as wood and notches have aged the same. Obviously, it is probably not the first time this discovery has been made...realities of war.

https://i.imgur.com/I74aHKK.jpg?1

Curious: Anyone else have a good Finders-Keepers Story to tell?

G3isMe
December 10, 2017, 12:03
I have found notes written on paper and cleaning rags in my stocks. One of the most recent ones listed rifle serial numbers and names of the soldiers who they were assigned to including the kit in which the note was found.

3Guneric
December 10, 2017, 12:19
Still remember the excitement of signing for my 4 M1 Tanks in Vilseck, Germany in 1985. There they were all lined up with large wooden crates positioned in front of each - they contained all of the support equipment for the new vehicles.

It had been a major PITA turning in the old M60A3's. Every part, nut and bolt had to be accounted for and spic and span.

As I opened the loaders hatch for the very first time I was very excited and could not wait to get that first glimpse. I was greeted with mud all over the seats and floor but even better were the copious amounts of KFC bones and related debris trashing up the entire turret and drivers compartment. The packaging was from a KFC in the USA - those bones had a long trip on the govt dime.

So my first interaction with my new M1 was to crawl around picking up moldy chicken trash! Didn't mind though - that Tank rocked! :cool:

kev
December 10, 2017, 15:16
A one Naira bill from the Central Bank of Nigeria in a Rhodie stock. That and the 64 million dollar inheritance I have waiting for me there.

https://i.imgur.com/f2K2o6h.jpg?1

mikedddd
December 10, 2017, 15:42
under the follower. the original pics of note I cant find-but it translated to this-

NOTES

Friend of mine who picks up this gun, you are very unlucky for coming to Sivas [Sivas is a city in eastern Turkey- Kurdish area]. You will suffer a lot here. I recommend you to be patient and follow orders.
We'll have to bear with military service. Military service is nice but some people try to make it as bad as possible.

ou guys crack me up. but the translation is right- here is another with more detail-- thanks for the input-- Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heres the actual translation from a guy on the turk mauser forum who is turkish and a translator- pretty cool history!!

from haki66

The note is "pure" Turkish. Not Hebrew. It is as follows:
.................................................. ................
My dear friend who has just received this rifle,

You are somehow unlucky for being in Sivas (*)
You will suffer a bit down here. I recommend you to be patient and obediant all the time.

What can we do? This is the military service and we have to comply with it. In fact, military service is fine to do but some guys do thier best to turn it to hell.

By the way let me introduce myself to you. I am 79/2 (**) DK (***) Erhan Celik from Mardin (*****) Midyat(*****).

I wish you a happy service and speedy discharge.

Dawn:517(******)

(*) Sivas is a city in Eastern Anatolia

(2*) 79/2 is his conscription period. 79 stands for his birth year but seems irrelevant. That means he must have been conscripted for his service around 1999 or by 2000. And that means the rifle (or the mag) made its way to the States within these recent years. Is it possible? Dash 2 (/2) means he is in the second package of the year (April) for joining the basic camp.

(3*) DK stands for the abbrv. that he joined his basic camp with delay. Or he missed the deadline for the conscription. It brings a certain probation. Nor as harsh as being a deserter but still a kind of penalty. And Sivas,Temeltepe is the basic camp location for DKs.

(4*) Mardin is a city in Southeastern Anatolia. He is from there.

(5*) Midyat is his town.

(6*) "Dawn"... Oh my God! That stands for the remaining number of days for his discharge. 517 days! He is at the very beginning yet. (18 months total)

Hope this helps.

istemi
Best Regards from Turkey

Here is the second note as follows:

The guy with rifle number 28275 is a close friend of mine. Now you go and find its new owner. I hope you would also be good friends.

PS: Do not waste this note. Let it be a memory to my grandson(*).

32686 (**)
.................................................. .......

(*) When only 3 months are left for the discharge, the fresmen package coming from the basic camp becomes your "grandson". They call you "grandpa" so that you are the senior package.
(2*) Seems to be the barrel reg. number of the rifle.
.................................................. ................

istemi
Best Regards from Turkey

By the way, let me introduce myself. I am 79/2 private, Erhan Çelik from Midyat, Mardin.

Have a nice military service

2nd Page

The owner of the rifle number 28275 is a good friend of mine. You find the new owner, God willing you will become a good friend with him.

Note: Don't throw away this paper, let it be a souvenir from my term.

HighRatMaster
December 11, 2017, 00:24
A one Naira bill from the Central Bank of Nigeria in a Rhodie stock. That and the 64 million dollar inheritance I have waiting for me there.

https://i.imgur.com/f2K2o6h.jpg?1

We need to talk. It seems the Prince's patience ran out because you took too long to contact him and confirm the details of transferring the $64 million. He has since offered it to me and I am currently in the process of securing a loan to help the most generous Prince cover the fees involved and pay for costs associated with the transfer of such a large sum. Sorry, hope there's no hard feelings. If you feel strongly that you are entitled to the money then I will sign over half of it to you upon receiving the nicest FAL you have in your collection. You can understand this is very generous on my part as I am not obligated to share my fortune with so you must act quickly to secure your portion.

TenTea
December 11, 2017, 07:20
∆∆∆

:bow::D

G3isMe
December 11, 2017, 07:44
under the follower. the original pics of note I cant find-but it translated to this-

This is a pretty cool note. I have a couple which I've found that need translation. I'll have to dig them out again and try to get them translated.

cjjtulsa
December 12, 2017, 12:49
What an interesting thread! I never thought to look in mags or most other places for notes, though I have heard of Mosin rifles having pictures or letters hidden somewhere in the stocks. Now I'll have to start keeping an eye out.

armed2012
December 12, 2017, 16:45
NICE FIND! very cool im going to go check all of my parts and stocks now lol

Invictus77
December 12, 2017, 17:00
I have a couple which I've found that need translation. I'll have to dig them out again and try to get them translated.

If they are in the English alphabet, "Google Translate" really works pretty well.

Now if they are in Arabic or Chinese characters , IDK ?????